HELP.....Just installed new rear brakes

Brianejay

Registered
and they are locked up. Ok, I know that I'm a newby and that I shouldn't have "pumped" the brakes to build the pressure up before I rode the bike. What is the best method of fixing this? Should I let some fluid out or remove the back tire and push the brakes apart and start over; if I can even get the disc out of the calipers.(will it do this again and am I not doing this right).

Should I just take it to the shop?

Thanks for your help.

Brian

Hey Brian There isn't anything you can do to make this happen that i know of! Were they working fine B4?

Only thing i can come up with is your reservoir was filled prior to you puting the new pads on and it won't hold the fluid!

Brian,
Is it possible that you got some dirt or something in the cylinder that isn't allowing the pressure to release? More experieinced wrentches may pipe up here, but my suggestions is this - remove the brake line from your rear caliper, then remove the rear caliper from the bracket and make sure you put everything back together right, then completely flush the system... do you have a vaccum pump? They work very well and it pulls the fluid through making it easier and faster to get the air out of the system...
Anyway, I don't know any reason why the brake would lock and not release unless somehow, you got something in there that is blocking the system... just my .02

Pumping the brake pedal is a good thing! don't and bad stuff can happen! Now if you can't do brakes etc then working on your own stuff is the way to go! But don't run in to the pc and scream for help and then just take off! I'm feelin like a crack ho that gets used only when you want!
all_coholic.gif

Did you take the cover off the fluid reservoir before you started working on this? If not, you may be able to remove it now and get it to "let go." Be careful, though. Put a rag around the reservoir to catch any fluid that escapes and be SURE to keep it off of any of your plastics.

Just an idea. I don't have a clue as to why this would happen. After you get the brakes installed, you are supposed to pump them up like you did but they shouldn't lock up, that's for sure.

--Wag--

wow.gif
Hey MC all he was doing was R&Rin the pads rite? How could there b anything inside? If he can't lance a boil lets not get him to do open heart! The only other time i have had this happen is with abused hi mile units that will have too much crap in the calipers the new pad will drag. You don't think he put oil on the tiny little reservoir
all_coholic.gif
and are we talkin rears or fronts. Too early sorry!

(8Daytona8 @ Dec. 28 2006,07:42)
wow.gif
Hey MC all he was doing was R&Rin the pads rite? How could there b anything inside? If he can't lance a boil lets not get him to do open heart! The only other time i have had this happen is with abused hi mile units that will have too much crap in the calipers the new pad will drag. You don't think he put oil on the tiny little reservoir  
all_coholic.gif
and are we talkin rears or fronts.  Too early sorry!
Yeah I agree about the open heart surgery, but he is going to have to release the pressure somehow....
So, I figure, if you have the system open... might as well do the do!

Might be as simple as opening the bleeder port and releasing some fluid... yeah it is early...

Where is he?I hope he is on the way to work in the car! I hear they got good weather in WA for this time of year! Only rainin half a day
all_coholic.gif
he had to either over fill the reservoir, have the foot lever down to far to let fluid return port open to reservoir, have brake pads in side ways! even backwards won't lock up? wrong pads! ok i C we are talkin rears here! Wow if we can't do those maybe he should find a mechanic bud or take it to the stealer!!! What am i sayin!
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

+ 1 on opening the bleeder and releasing a couple of pumps of fluid rather than opening the reservoir cap first. If that doesn't work I would remove the pads and make sure you have the pads and pins installed correctly.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the tips. I've changed brakes on my cars before and never had this happen. I think that I'll let some pressure out and see if that releases it.

8Daytona8, what can I say....your a "little" cocky know-it-all prick. Do you see the title of this board...."Do-it-yourself", thats what I'm trying to do. If you dont like giving advice get off the board.

Those of you that dont have a stick up your as*...thanks.

Brian

I'd take it apart again. Push the piston all the way back and reinstall the pads. Pump the brake pedal so it can adjust correctly. Hope you've got it by now....

WTF!!! I thought thread/site was for helping one another! Looks like some are hear to hear themelves sound good! Be real and spread the knowledge and not the BS. O'this is coming from NCpanther01.//

Went out to work on my bike and the problem was fixed. I dont understand why they would lock up so bad and then be fine the next day. I'm checking the lines and fluid today for air and dirt (although I've never opened any lines up).

I pump the rear brake now and it seem to work like it should.

Thanks for your help guys....glad your here!!!

Glad they worked out, but you may want to check the pads just make sure it was completely put back together right.... no reason they would hve locked out like that....

remember a while back wag posted that you can install the springs backwards causing the pad to remain against the rotor causing premature wear.

Might have the retaining spring in backwards. Things that fix themselves bothers me.

runeight...

(runeight @ Dec. 28 2006,17:50) remember a while back wag posted that you can install the springs backwards causing the pad to remain against the rotor causing premature wear.

Might have the retaining spring in backwards. Things that fix themselves bothers me.

runeight...
Yeah, it's not anything I'm going to forget any time soon. It would be worth it to check and make sure those springs are in the right way.

--Wag--

Back