HELP installing a msd shift light.

jeepinocala

Registered
Ok the fun I have my bike all finished up to start it and find out my shift light is not turning on ok what wire and cylinder is supposed to have the clamp sensor on it? This unit came with a sensor clamp for pickup of the rpm I hate these sensors but need to get it going I am going to recheck the ground and hot wire but really need to know what wire it should be on?:please:

yellow with blue tracer is the tach signal, and must be setup like a 2 cylinder for rpm's to match up, and its NOT the yellow with blue tracer that goes to the large yellow connector, its in the harness buried where left ram air tube meets frame. Or you could use the #1 coil ground, and set it up as a 1 cylinder. Connect it up and set rpm very low, 99.9% of people who buy my lights and say they dont work have the wrong tach signal, or set number of cylinders to 4 and it works, but rpm is off by a factor of 2 and they never see it come on.

yellow with blue tracer is the tach signal, and must be setup like a 2 cylinder for rpm's to match up, and its NOT the yellow with blue tracer that goes to the large yellow connector, its in the harness buried where left ram air tube meets frame. Or you could use the #1 coil ground, and set it up as a 1 cylinder. Connect it up and set rpm very low, 99.9% of people who buy my lights and say they dont work have the wrong tach signal, or set number of cylinders to 4 and it works, but rpm is off by a factor of 2 and they never see it come on.

The unit never even turned on is this due to the signal being wrong? So you are telling me to skip the shift light probe and just wire direct to the tach wire on the bike to the green wire on the unit?

Is there a diagram? Or can you just give full step one through? for me? I really want this to work but am tired of pulling the bike apart I tried the probe on both wire to the coil neither worked but read somewhere if you have a msd sb6 then you must go off the tach wire to the ? wire on the shift light? Thank you for any help.

sorta lost on all that, but if you dont have the proper rpm signal, the light wont work obviously, unless it does some sort of boot up sequence showing you that it has power and ground etc. If it does that with just turning a key on no it wouldn't need a tach signal to do that.

Ok well I admit it was my half ass connector for the ground but this is good so now I will wire it directly as for the tach wire to the yellow w/h blue tracer and got out a pile of solder equip from the old hobby days so in a day or so my bike will be respected much more. there should be a whole thread on the reasons to only solder and do things the right way so my dumb a-- misstakes do happen again. hey thanks

Back