Help i'm an idiot

chrisjp

GM of Haya's in the Hills
Donating Member
Registered
ok got the screens on ..and reasembled...looks great...but wait i go to work and it hits me...i forgot to reconnect my tail light...so during lunch i quickly take off the back and reconnect the tail light...go to put the hump back on after was all done..and click ...oh shoot...i forgot to reattach the cable this time...after work spent 3-4 hours with lots of help trying to figure out some way to unlock it. the rear section cannot be removed and or the hump removed unless its unlocked and the hump taken off...any suggestions without destroying the hump?...ps my hand is all messed up having someone hold out the right side and slide my hand up to get to the lever...but with hand in tail section its bound up and you cant push the lever over too much pressure and trying to loop a wire on it didnt work...because of the box around the lock we couldnt slip a strong enough wire that would stay on it when we pulled it to unlock it like the cable would..

Don't feel bad, not the first to do that. Ummm not by me of course. Do a search and you'll find some really good ideas.

Oops! Maybe this is a sign from god that you should get those new plastics after all...

j/k

Pretty poor design dont you think?
sad.gif
Now you cant even remove the tailsection without breaking something...

Try this:

* Remove the front seat
* Get a torch or some sort of light source
* See if you can reach back far enough to the "White Tabs" that the hump uses to lock into the loops under the back edge of the front seat (Click image to see larger picture))
* See if you can push these tabsout so that the hump lifts off the bike from the front edge

I cant think of any other way not involving some sort of "destruction"

<!--EDIT|gsferrari
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150887163 -->

if you have aftermarket undertail and have cut the factory black plastic (or might be able to do this with the factory plastic, pop out the pop pins, and that should allow you to pull the undertray down far enough to get your hand(s) in and work the lock mechanism from inside. If your hand is too big, find lady, or child and help guide them as to what to do. I have personally done this and is not that hard to do.

ok got the screens on ..and reasembled...looks great...but wait i go to work and it hits me...i forgot to reconnect my tail light...so during lunch i quickly take off the back and reconnect the tail light...go to put the hump back on after was all done..and click ...oh shoot...i forgot to reattach the cable this time...after work spent 3-4 hours with lots of help trying to figure out some way to unlock it.  the rear section cannot be removed and or the hump removed unless its unlocked and the hump taken off...any suggestions without destroying the hump?...ps my hand is all messed up having someone hold out the right side and slide my hand up to get to the lever...but with hand in tail section its bound up and you cant push the lever over too much pressure and trying to loop a wire on it didnt work...because of the box around the lock we couldnt slip a strong enough wire that would stay on it when we pulled it to unlock it like the cable would..
Not that it helps now, but I put tape over the latch before removing the cable, and don't remove it until the cable is reconnected.

You can start here. There are suggestions and links to other posts about how to pop it off in there.

Happened to me last summer... With the help of a friend's busa i took a good look at how everything was with his hump off... Then made this special tool using a 12 inches metal ruler! took me 2 minutes from there to slip the tool between the tail section and the hump and push on the latch to finally release it!!!

<!--EDIT|_ZeF
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150891361 -->

post_6_38795_slim_jim_busa.jpg

I have no idea but I'm sure good suggestions are located here somewhere.

Speaking of good suggestions....next go round simply unscrew those two screws that hold the lock in place instead of detaching the cable. It's much easier and prevents situations like this. ...just a suggestion.

Chris,
+1 on reaching under the tail fairing. Go at it from the right side, facing forward. If you can, have a second person pulling upwards slightly on the hump. When you feel the small circle of the lock, push it to the left, you won't have to move it far. Lots of people do this; I did it (actually my brother did it for me, but the result was the same...
Don't sweat it.... stuff happens, ya know? (That is what I am trying to believe, anyway)

drill 1/2" hole in undertail.....use needle nose to pull cable/release latch ...then fill hole with 1/2" gromment to keep dirt/water out (which can be removed again if needed)

the size of your hole may vary on the size of your tool.....

laugh.gif
there's some bait for ya!

There have been many threads on this, do a search and you'll find the best way to take care of it i am sure. Good luck

I guess I don't understand why anyone would take the cable off!??!

Remove the two screws and the entire lock ass'y comes off - impossible to lock yourself out!

umnik.gif

<!--EDIT|omslaw
Reason for Edit: None given...|1150914644 -->

Back