HELP!!! Ignition issues!

Snake Eyes

Registered
OK, I figured I'd post here first, and maybe I'll get lucky. I just bought my first motorcycle a week ago, and Today was my first ride. Before this, I had ZERO experience riding, not counting, of course, the time I was on a bike when I went to get my endorsement, 3 years ago.
I have a 2008 B-King, and I encountered a problem today. Since I'm new to riding, of course I have been doing the typical rookie mistake of trying to shift into gear when the light turns green, and have stalled out a couple of times. Today, after it stalling out at a flashing red light, I could not get the bike to start back up again. Symptoms were everything you would expect from a dead battery... lights dim, display dims, and just the slightest attempt to crank, like not even a quarter turn of the starter. Stuck on the side of the road for about 30 minutes before help arrived with booster cables. No immediate luck when cables were applied; had to wait another 15 minutes until the bike started up again. Headed directly to the nearest bike dealer to get a new battery. They checked out my existing battery, and said it was fine. This happened to me last night too, same scenario. Stalled out trying to get into first at light, except it started up after only a minute of trying to crank it over. I noticed today that the clock on the display had reset after it died, so it had led me to believe not enough juice. Since the battery isn't the problem, I figured I'd turn to the forum where there are experienced riders that might be able to help me out. Am I doing something wrong, or is something wrong with the bike? If I HAD to guess, I'd say theres a loose connection that makes poor contact when the bike gets jogged around from a typical stallout. any way to trouble shoot or find the issue? Thanks for any help.
Also, anyone here a member of suzukib-king.org? I've been trying to get into their forum for almost a week, and still haven't had administrator approval to join. If someone in their can drop a good word in for me, I'd appreciate it. I'm guessing more of their members are familiar with this specific model, since I have no clue how similar the Bking and Busa are. Thank all for the help.
P.S. If it helps any, I've also stalled out a few times while the bike is still rolling, and had no problem getting it to start right up when I hit the button.

The clock reset was probably the shop disconnecting the battery to test it. Did the mechanics test drive it ?

Clock was reset before I got it to the dealership. I noticed it after I got it started the last time before I went in to them. They didn't test drive it, and all they did was connect a couple of spring clamps with wire leads going into some hand held machine with a screen. He said the battery "health" was at 70 percent and that's why he doesn't think it was a battery issue. I would have to wait til payday next Friday to get it in for a diagnostic, with a fee of about 100 bux and have to leave it over 24 hours.

In the US you can take a battery to any parts store and have it load tested for free. Some times it's best to let the pros take care of problems. For giggles and grins since they just put a meter on the battery. Check to make sure that the positive and negative battery cables are well connected and tight. Make sure the negative lead is well connected on both ends.

Thanks Robert. I'll give that a go today. First thing I check was the terminal connections when I couldn't get it running yesterday. Nice and tight. Since I didn't have the owners manual, we {and by we I mean the service tech}, showed me that there was a trickle charge connector attached to the battery also. I'll take the battery out, and get to a local auto parts store and see if they can test it.

There is a rectifier recall on that bike but a fully charged battery should work for awhile before dying... maybe a weak battery and get recall done?

No luck. Battery is fine. I did re-read my first post, and forgot to mention that I saw F1 light up on my display when it wouldn't start yesterday. Don't know if that'll help. Rectifier recall? How do I find out about that, and what do I do to get it made right? how can I check to see if it hadn't already been taken care of by previous owner?

OK, found a thread about the recall on this forum, and looks like my bike's vin number is included in it. Since I know squat about bikes, all my issues and symptoms I mentioned in the post can be attributed to the rectifier? Also, any tips on how to handle getting this resolved? Never had to deal with a recall issue, and I don't know if the bike has to be under warranty for them to fix it for free.

Just take it to a dealer. If not, buy a rectifier. Its easy to change. Behind the left side of the tail fairing. Big chunk metal thing

Quick Update: Called the Dealership, they said they checked my VIN and it showed the rectifier recall had been taken care of in March 2011. I couldn't call my local dealer because they were closed today. Gonna give them a try tomorrow and get a second opinion by getting them to check my VIN and confirm the rectifier has been replaced. Is there any way I can do the check myself on the net to confirm that? Due to circumstances beyond my control, I cannot get the bike into the shop before Friday, and I'm wondering if I can ride the bike before then. I read that when Busa owners experienced the problems regarding this issue, it was pretty much along the lines of waiting for the bike to cool down before they tried starting it back up again.

They put a dot on the gooseneck after the vin #. Maybe it messed up again as a good battery should last awhile after charging. I'de rather have it corrected then be left stranded...

Back