HELP! I NEED SOME EXPERT ADVICE!

krazynesss

Registered
Hello guys,

I've recently ( 3 months ago ) bought a 1st gen Hayabusa it has 35k kilometers on it. I love the bike! Pushing it hard since the first day. Since 3 weeks it's been stalling on me in high revs. The engine dies and when it comes back in de low rpm it starts up again. I've done some research and found out that the fuel pump has a lot of issues.

Being a little handy myself, I've managed to pull out the fuel pump cleaned it fully and to be honest it wasnt all that messy at first sight. I've bought a fuel filter retainer because the old one looked a bit dirty. I put everything back together and ( as I expected ) it was still stalling in the high revs. So I did the service control loop connected the wires ( ECU codes ) and see the -C00 on my dash. I was hoping to see which code it shows when the engine stalls on me again. I took it for a spin and after hitting beyond 7000rpm full throttle it stalled again. When I looked at my dash all I saw was CHE but it never showed a code... Only -C00 This is weird right? Or am I missing something here.. So now I'm all out of ideas, I double checked the TPS sensor ( checked a turorial on the site ) by looking at the -C00 code and the - is in the middle. Guessing that the position is where it should be when on IDLE aournd 1200 rpm. When I drive the haya the TPS - goes up and sometimes down _C00. Is this normal?
I want to upgrade the fuel pump if I have to, but I'm not that type of guy who will replace every part and hope for the best. I really hope you guys can help me out here. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Does it sputter before dying or is it a sudden off, as if ignition was shut off? I would lean towards a fuel pressure problem but I would think it would not run well before it stalls. I'm pretty sure C00 just refers to no codes in memory.

No it doesnt sputter, its a sudden turn off exactly! Fuel pressure problem meaning I need to replace it? When I use half throttle it will steadily go faster though. I also replaced the fuel lines just in case. If the fuel pump does not work properly does it throw a ecu code or only when it is dead?

When I rev it in neutral it will hit the speed limiter like it should

No it doesnt sputter, its a sudden turn off exactly! Fuel pressure problem meaning I need to replace it? When I use half throttle it will steadily go faster though. I also replaced the fuel lines just in case. If the fuel pump does not work properly does it throw a ecu code or only when it is dead?

When I rev it in neutral it will hit the speed limiter like it should

What you are describing is definitely a pressure problem.
I don't believe codes are given if a pump starts to go soft. Yes letting off generally will allow the bike to rev higher.
In your position i would replace the pump assembly and put in an external filter as many people with gen 1s have

ah thats called a pump assembly ok . i saw a guy on ebay who upgrade and sells them. replace pump and put an external filter on it. I have also seen one guy on this forum who put a low pressure pump between the external filter and the fuel pump assembly. I already ordered the filters and the low pressure pump. so now I will buy the pump on ebay. thanks guys

ah thats called a pump assembly ok . i saw a guy on ebay who upgrade and sells them. replace pump and put an external filter on it. I have also seen one guy on this forum who put a low pressure pump between the external filter and the fuel pump assembly. I already ordered the filters and the low pressure pump. so now I will buy the pump on ebay. thanks guys
I'd be careful with ebay stuff. OEM fuel pump assembly is the way to go. Yes it's much more expensive

Before you replace anything, did you check the condition of the pump sleeve? It has a gauze filter that gets blocked up, you need to remove the pump from the housing to inspect. .

If you need more info, have a look at the pics on my thread re fuel pump/filter service

image.jpeg

yes, very hard to pry it out btw. I recently cleaned it all except for the injectors. The injectors would give a cell code if they were bad right

Okay, I know the external pumps on the 99/00 models are prone to heat soak and vapor lock, which will show up in the form of the symptoms you are having, but the 01 is the first year of the internal pump right?

yes my thoughts exactly but its external though. ive just double checked the license. its imported in 2008 but the build is in 2001.

If you indeed have an external pump, and it's getting hot, it will vapor lock and cause exactly the symptoms you are describing. Make sure the foam insulation covering the pump is in place, if so look at replacing it. There are several viable options available, I think a Bosch or Aeromotive is a good choice, you can relocate it to the tail. Or you can go back with an OEM, but keep in mind it will eventually fail again.

I ordered a new fuel pump today. Im gonna check if it is an easy job to make a bracket under the seat near the rear shock for a relocation. Thanks for the tip Mr Brown.

Hello guys,

I've recently ( 3 months ago ) bought a 1st gen Hayabusa it has 35k kilometers on it. I love the bike! Pushing it hard since the first day. Since 3 weeks it's been stalling on me in high revs. The engine dies and when it comes back in de low rpm it starts up again. I've done some research and found out that the fuel pump has a lot of issues.

Being a little handy myself, I've managed to pull out the fuel pump cleaned it fully and to be honest it wasnt all that messy at first sight. I've bought a fuel filter retainer because the old one looked a bit dirty. I put everything back together and ( as I expected ) it was still stalling in the high revs. So I did the service control loop connected the wires ( ECU codes ) and see the -C00 on my dash. I was hoping to see which code it shows when the engine stalls on me again. I took it for a spin and after hitting beyond 7000rpm full throttle it stalled again. When I looked at my dash all I saw was CHE but it never showed a code... Only -C00 This is weird right? Or am I missing something here.. So now I'm all out of ideas, I double checked the TPS sensor ( checked a turorial on the site ) by looking at the -C00 code and the - is in the middle. Guessing that the position is where it should be when on IDLE aournd 1200 rpm. When I drive the haya the TPS - goes up and sometimes down _C00. Is this normal?
I want to upgrade the fuel pump if I have to, but I'm not that type of guy who will replace every part and hope for the best. I really hope you guys can help me out here. Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I am sure you did this but still want to put it out there.
Did you check your batter terminals? My old GSXR1000 had similar issues. On high rev I was losing power. When I checked the battery, One post was loose and with high vibration it was getting disconnected.

Also Rust in the tank was problem with early Busa's. Might help just peeking in there to look for rust on tank walls

Back