Help, how much did you pay for your first service?

Stealth08

Registered
Hi, I am looking at getting my first service done finally and I was wondering what prices you guys paid for this at the dealers. I would do my own first oil change but I currently live in an apartment building that doesn't allow you to work on your vehicles, yes I know they suck. I was also wondering what the dealer does for your first service because I was quoted by more than two local dealers at around $150 for this first service and is my second one going to be this high also or do I need to find someone with a garage and do this myself. I am probably going to just have it done since I don't have the place or time to do it and I have a trip I am planning on taking in a month and want to be sure everything is ok for that since I am going through at least five states. Thanks for any input. :banghead:

The price for the first service sounds about right. I paid $151.45 (+ tax) for mine. The second one was a little more (185.83), but that is with the oil and filter being a bit higher. In both cases, they did everything by the book, so for a listing of what should be done just check your owner's manual. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

D

Thanks for the info. I am not happy about this though, seems really high. Guess that is the price of performance. Would anyone recommend just doing it yourself the first two times or is it a better idea to get the dealer to do the first couple. I want to get the bike broken in before this trip and not worry about it.

My first service was $138.00 at locall dealership. they need to enter it into the computer, just in case you need warranty service be less hassle. they should charge about 2 hrs. labor plus parts plus labor, anything else is just screwing you! if it were me i would get them to explain what all they do and how long it takes, then get them to explain why they are charging more than just normal labor parts, so stealerships try to charge more for 1st service... just my 2 cents..good luck:beerchug:

Sorry Guyz, but this is where i have to disagree......... I WOULD NOT TRUST ANY OF THOSE JIFFYLUBE DROP OUT WANNABE MECHANICS to touch my 190mph busa! JMHO though.......

Stealth08, what about a buddies garage, or family member.......there's gotta be some way to keep it out of the STEALERSHIPS pawz? Hell, where do you live, you can use mine! :thumbsup:

$12 for a suzuki filter and about $30 for 4 quarts of Suzuki oil.

Now I use Wix filter $11 at O'Reilly's and Mobil 1 Racing 4T from Auto Zone at just under $10 a quart.

Check your tires, idle, cables and lines, make sure you torque your drain plug to spec and you are good to go.

Unless you have an extended waranty and want to show dealer records of service...do it your self. For what you would pay them, you could buy the needed tools.

What floor do you live on?

take the fairing off push it to the public sidewalk and change it there real quick..I have always done my own,I like the shop I go to but would rather spend my money on more up grades...like toxsick was saying,there has to be a buddies house or somewhere u can bring it. good luck:thumbsup:

I just changed my oil the other and it was easy. The only is that the drain plug was a itch to break at first
Posted via Mobile Device

feel good you guys dont live in AK. My first service would cost $300 but I negotiated it in the selling price......:banghead:

-Ben

Good timing... I just had my first service done yesterday. It was $160 (1.5 hours labor), in Irvine CA.

That is an expensive oil change. But if you can believe they check over everything they say, then it is worth it (to me).

At first I was gonna give my bike to the stealership to do the 1st service (340$ thank you chicago) but since all the gurus told me to do it myself, I read all about it, changed the oil, checked everything, cost was 45$ and a satisfaction that I did it myself.

It doesnt void your warranty if you can document you did everything, I got all my receipts, pictures when doing.

First service is NOT just a oil change...they are supposed to pretty much check EVERY nut and bolt...+ adjust the chain. It is hard to find a dealer that actually does this :banghead:

You can do it yourself and it will not void your warranty...just make sure to keep your receipts, date and mileage for your records.

I paid $129. They went over the whole bike. Bolts, oil, computer check. Seems to be worth it since it went from the crate to my hands.

Did you watch them check everything, or did they tell you they did. No way would I pay to have a new bike worked on, if it needs 2-300 dollars worth of service in 500 miles, they can keep it. Save your money and do it yourself, or get a buddy to show you that knows how if you feel uncomfortable doing it yourself.

i did the first service my self where i work but typically it would be close to 300 bucks, cause we change the oil and filter, sync the throttle bodies, lube and adjust cables, lube and adjust chain, ect a lot of other small things but the throttle body sync was the big thing that most places do not do.:thumbsup:

Back