Help hooking up integrated LED/turnsignal taillight.

Mikesbaron

Registered
I bought one of these integrated rear taillight and turn signal setups for my first gen. The main plug fits the oem plug just fine, but I don't get any lights from the LEDs. I noticed there are a yellow and a blue wire on this light that I haven't hooked up. I'm guessing they go to the OEM turn signals leads? Do I need these hooked up to work? Where do I hook up the OEM ground from each turn signal lead? And finally, where do I hook in the license plate light leads on this unit?

photo_2018-01-30_19-14-44.jpg

Ok, you're in luck!
I also recently bought one similar from Aliexpress and the connector plug spade terminals need to be re-configured to make it work. There was no wiring diagram with the lamp. Typical Chinese product!
Here's how I did it.
1) With a test light or multi meter test the connector's pins on the power supply side (the bike's harness side) and make a diagram of the connector's Ground, Stop Lamp, Tail lamp. Note the wire colors.
2) then check using a power wire and ground wire (from a battery) which spade terminals in the lamp's connector plug are the Ground, Tail lamp, Stop lamp, left blinker and right blinker
3) The ground wire in the lamp is white if my memory serves me correctly. If not, try black.
4) Once you have the wire colors and corresponding uses worked out, remove the spade terminals from the lamp's connector plug and switch them around in the plug to match the harness side's configuration.
5) The licence plate lamp's wires are joined to the lamp's ground wire and tail lamp wire, I stripped back the insulation on said wires and soldered the llicence lamp wires in and taped them... like a true pro lol !
Easy!
Good luck and any problems, just ask.

Here's my connector plug to show how I wired it, remember I did NOT change the bike harness connector wire configuration, ONLY the lamp's connector I switched wires around to suit.
I hope this helps.
IMG_1751.JPG

Thanks for these tips. But what do I do with the blue and yellow wire coming off the LED taillight?
Connect power to each one to see which is left and right blinker.
Then connect them to the left and right biker harnesses, they are grounded by the lamp's ground wire.

Cool!
Did you learn about testing procedures?
It's very basic and straight forward.
Glad to help a 'Busa Brother.

I'm not sure what I did wrong but I blew two turn signal fuses trying to use both a test light and a multimeter. Maybe you can help me determine what I did wrong. Here is what I did.

1. Hooked up the clip from the test light to the negative on the battery and then proceeded to poke it into the taillight plugs on the Hayabusa, thinking it would light up if I touched the leads with power. Nope. POP!

What did I do wrong?

I ended up unplugging the taillight leads and plugging into the OEM harness plug until I got it to work.

Blue lead: left taillight
Yellow lead: right taillight

License plate light black/white: white taillight (power)
License plate white: black taillight (ground)

I forgot to get a pic and remember what colors I switched around in the taillight plug. But if someone really needs it I can get a pic of it before I put it all together.

photo_2018-02-01_08-58-48.jpg

I'm not sure what I did wrong but I blew two turn signal fuses trying to use both a test light and a multimeter. Maybe you can help me determine what I did wrong. Here is what I did.

1. Hooked up the clip from the test light to the negative on the battery and then proceeded to poke it into the taillight plugs on the Hayabusa, thinking it would light up if I touched the leads with power. Nope. POP!

What did I do wrong?
You may have the multimeter switched to Amps position, or with the multimeter/test light you may have touched both the ground pin and the tail pin at the same time

From what I've read on Google, 2004+ model years have the flash to pass switch, So if your Busa isn't at least a 2004, it wasn't originally equipped with one.

Hi all.
I've bought a Chinese aftermarket one too. I'm in the UK. Swapped the red and black wires around in the terminal block and managed to get it all working except for the licence plate light. Any ideas please?? I've been on this all day. Crap at electrics. Mine is pretty much identical to the one at the top of this page. Terminal block to terminal block, a blue and a yellow wire then the black wire and striped black wire coming from the licence plate light.

Hi all.
I've bought a Chinese aftermarket one too. I'm in the UK. Swapped the red and black wires around in the terminal block and managed to get it all working except for the licence plate light. Any ideas please?? I've been on this all day. Crap at electrics. Mine is pretty much identical to the one at the top of this page. Terminal block to terminal block, a blue and a yellow wire then the black wire and striped black wire coming from the licence plate light.
The license plate lamp's wires (black, and striped black wire) are joined to the lamp's ground wire and tail lamp wire, strip back the insulation on said wires and solder the license lamp wires in to the ground and the tail lamp power wire and tape them... hope this helps.
With the blue and yellow wires, work out which is left and which is right blinker, then crimp a spade connecter to each wire and plug them in the the corresponding blinker power wires on the harness. The blinkers ground thru the lamp so no need for a separate ground wire on them.

Last edited:
Back