HELP GREG 3582

I sincerely hope it is viably fixable , and not a more dead money pit , reinvested , because I've been down that road bro and it is expensive . That bike is obviously your passion Greg , anyone can see that , but even with the best dudes involved with motor builds , you cannot guarantee longevity or reliability . And with such motor builds , at the very least , you do need the best dudes on to it as you can source afford , if like myself , you are not fully adept at motor builds .
When you get knocked down from such events , yes , good to get up and have another go at it , but also good to have a think what is really important to you ....
Do you still desire a bike you can ride anytime you wish , say for example , a reasonably priced etc. Gen 2 180hp+ stocker with pipe and tune that is super reliable , or are happy to have a machine with lots of loving hours devoted to build , and everything about it is fantastic , you can ride , except every rides a possible potential issue ?
This rebuild / repair maybe fixable with the least dramas , even another Gen 1 motor base obtained to build from maybe best pathway ? Then with a good builder signed up like Frank , you should come out of this a happy man once again . There will be a solution no doubt , just be down to your decision on what $ 's needed and where best to spend .
I have been there myself bro , in my more youthful days with my obsession with GSXR 1100 's builds . It is never an easy decision to walk away from a build you have put your heart and soul in , that others close to you have also shared all those good and bad times along the way that these obsessions of ours entail . Just the fact that your ride time with some projects can be so compromised , the actual reason for owning a bike in the first place can be lost to some degree . I guess you got to weigh it all up , project build special with all the idiosyncrasy that entails including ownership pride of ones creation , or something to get back in touch with the true enjoyment of motorcycling , of beloved Busa ownership , the actual ride possibilities such a bulletproof motorcycle offers .
Hope you get a good outcome bro .

Greg,

Take some time, slow your roll, decompress. Then with a clear head, finish the disassemble. See what you're going to need. Bag all the bits, and pieces. When I looked at my wrecked ride, I knew it would be some attention to detail if I decided to overhaul, and bring it back. Then again, I had a cracked case, not broken rods. Nonetheless, it's repairable if you decide to go that direction. A fresh case is a good place to start. I also set out to bring it back to right. I inspected everything. All the big parts got shipped out to pros for machining. I've built a lot of engines, but this one I took my time with. I measured everything to the tenth. Blueprinted, and assembled absolutely perfect. When I put it back in, I knew it was right. It's my bike after all.

If you want high-performance, rebuild what you had it like, just better. If you want a bit more reliability, build it a bit different. Whatever you decide, we're with you. We all have goodies to donate. All we need to know is what you need. One thing I might recommend, pay close attention to your main bearing, and rod bearing gaps. Get some professional advice when you decide what you're building, and get the gaps spot-on.

We're ready, if and when, you are !

Spud.

Absolutely. I am taking my time. It's on my table. I have a set of cases lined up. I'm working on deciding on a replacement crank now. I'm going to need at least one transmission gear as I can see it is screwed up and sent a tooth out the back side. I know it will not be back up and running this year. I plan on next year being back in action. I'm sending everything to Powerhouse when I have it all together for a professional to build.

Absolutely. I am taking my time. It's on my table. I have a set of cases lined up. I'm working on deciding on a replacement crank now. I'm going to need at least one transmission gear as I can see it is screwed up and sent a tooth out the back side. I know it will not be back up and running this year. I plan on next year being back in action. I'm sending everything to Powerhouse when I have it all together for a professional to build.
As long as you're replacing a gear, may as well get the trans backcut. It will cost you a little more, but you've already got it apart...

Sounds like you're in a good place Greg. Take your time. When it's finished, it'll be "right". Enjoy the build.

Back