Help from the big guys out there

NickSully

Donating Member
Registered
After reading the poll about how heavy we all are I realized there are a lot of guys out there the same size as me so I want to know what you did to the bike to make it comfortable for you. I'm 6'5" and about 250; I feel pretty comfortable on the busa for around town commuting and up to about an hour on it. I've looked at heli-bars, a new seat, new suspension, lowering the foot pegs by either doing the Buel peg mod or by changing out the rear sets all together.

So what have you guys done to make the Busa better than it all ready was for you? Also, if you could only do one mod to make the bike more comfortable what would it be? If you can't limit the mods to just one what order would you do the mods in that give you the greatest comfort first?

I will also mention that I use the bike for commuting and weekend touring. I've never been on a race track at any time and I don't do high speed twisties.

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:

I did buell pegs and installed 3/4" bar spacers.
If I may ask, what exactly did the bar spacers do for you? I've been thinking about this and just can't quite figure out if that little bit will make that much of a difference. Did installing bar risers take weight off your arms or just allow your back to be in a better position?

Thanks again. :)

Corbin seat, heli bars, 1 inch lift of the bars, buell pegs, Pro Grip grips, in that order.

Last edited:
If I may ask, what exactly did the bar spacers do for you? I've been thinking about this and just can't quite figure out if that little bit will make that much of a difference. Did installing bar risers take weight off your arms or just allow your back to be in a better position?

Thanks again. :)

spacers helped with the pressure and puts you in a more upright position.

I went with 3/4", but some go as high as 1-1/2". When you go with the taller spacers you should reroute your throttle and choke cables so they dont rev up when you turn.

get your self into better shape is the best mod... the second would be ride more, the more your body gets used to riding the easier it gets... also i put header rap on my exhaust and my bum doesn't get monkey at all now, the gen 2 gives off a lot of heat...
:thumbsup:

In this order.
1. Helibars
2. Genmar tall riser
3.Galfer +1.5" lines (to work with the risers)
4. Corbin Seat
5. Buell pegs
6. Throttlemeister heavy cruise control (removed soon after, replaced with heavy Brass bar ends to quell vibration)
7. Zero Gravity ST windshield
8. Dual Star Grip Heaters
9. NEP nylon cruise control
10. CRG levers (long Clutch, Short brake lever)

Two things I have considered changing is to get rid of my bar risers and go to either a tubular bar kit (ala Spiegler) or something like the Gilles Variobars for adjustability and secondly to switch out the Buell's for a set of GSG adjustable pegs.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm going to start with the heli-bars and go from there.

It seems like a lot of you guys have custom seats but from what I can tell all custom seats seem to lower you an inch or two. Isn't that counter productive for us?

As always you guys are awesome for helping me out!

6. Throttlemeister heavy cruise control (removed soon after, replaced with heavy Brass bar ends to quell vibration)

Just curious - did you not keep the throttlemeister on because the vibs were worse with them opposed to what it was before installation? I was considering getting the throttlemeister heavies.... I'd really like the cruise control, and was hoping the heavy ends would be an improvement over the stock ends at the same time. Your thoughts?

THanks
Scott

Just curious - did you not keep the throttlemeister on because the vibs were worse with them opposed to what it was before installation? I was considering getting the throttlemeister heavies.... I'd really like the cruise control, and was hoping the heavy ends would be an improvement over the stock ends at the same time. Your thoughts?

THanks
Scott

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that myself....I can see the throttlemeister as being a leading addition (along with more useable mirrors) in making the busa ready (for me) to make a trip from Houston to the 4-Corners area and back late in the summer.

I'd be interested in knowing the answer to that myself....I can see the throttlemeister as being a leading addition (along with more useable mirrors) in making the busa ready (for me) to make a trip from Houston to the 4-Corners area and back late in the summer.

Let me know what you use for mirrors if you don't mind. Mine show my elbows and shoulders very nicely but nothing else really. :)

After reading the poll about how heavy we all are I realized there are a lot of guys out there the same size as me so I want to know what you did to the bike to make it comfortable for you. I'm 6'5" and about 250; I feel pretty comfortable on the busa for around town commuting and up to about an hour on it. I've looked at heli-bars, a new seat, new suspension, lowering the foot pegs by either doing the Buel peg mod or by changing out the rear sets all together.

So what have you guys done to make the Busa better than it all ready was for you? Also, if you could only do one mod to make the bike more comfortable what would it be? If you can't limit the mods to just one what order would you do the mods in that give you the greatest comfort first?

I will also mention that I use the bike for commuting and weekend touring. I've never been on a race track at any time and I don't do high speed twisties.

Thanks for the input! :thumbsup:
To be completely honest.....I bought a 14 to fix my comfort probs :laugh: I kept my busa, cause its an awesome bike, but the 14 is a better bike ergonomically for big guys :;):

I bought them and ran them for about a week. I pulled em for two reasons. The Vibration was a bit worse than my Brass bar ends and I just never came to grips with the mechanics of the Throttlemeister. That being said I had ridden for twenty years +/- with a NEP cruise control and it is about as intuitive and simplistic as you can possibly get. I have since gone back to the NEP, which ironically I had messed with early on when I bought my Busa and couldn't make it work. But then I got motivated and took a 90 degree die grinder with a Roloc disc to it and Voila! It works perfect. The Throttlemeisters are a great piece of equipment and a lot of people rave about them. But If you look at my list of comfort mods everything is about 100% function and I have no time for semi functional items on my bike.

P.S. I just realized I forgot about the throttle rocker as well.

P1000281mod.jpg

Whattup Nick-welcome to the .org, first-and here's what I did to setup my ride:
( 6'7" btw-used to be 260 but down to a lean mean 210 now)
FIRST-Dial in the suspension on your Busa to your riding style, be it soft/cruiser-ish or stiff/race-style; then get yourself a Tobin seat. Y? becuz its cut to fit YOUR body/waistline better, and your legs will be more comfortable on the cushion-plus no more sliding under hard throttle! Best comfort mod, BAR NONE on my bike:bowdown: *not like I spent any $$ on it:whistle:*

2nd-Go with Adjustable rearsets for max. range away from stock set position-I went with Vortex Rearsets, set as far down n forward as possible...cant lean as deep in corners, but my bike was lowered/stretchd anyway.

3rd-Get a Double-bubble windscreen if u dont have one (i prefer Zero Grav.) gets the wind offa your chest n outta your face a bit more-also makes a bigger air-pocket when your 'tucked'-if you like to do that sort of thing:whistle:

4th-new grips will help if you have gi-normous hands; I like the billet ones but some prefer the gel-take your pic, they come in all colors/shapes/sizes. if You cruise, Throttlemeisters will def. help keep your wrist intact, and there are several folks on here that can recommend good steering-stem mounts for GPS nav-devices, that shud about cover it for basic comfort-mods.:thumbsup:

BusaPics 063.jpg

Whattup Nick-welcome to the .org, first-and here's what I did to setup my ride:
( 6'7" btw-used to be 260 but down to a lean mean 210 now)
FIRST-Dial in the suspension on your Busa to your riding style, be it soft/cruiser-ish or stiff/race-style; then get yourself a Tobin seat. Y? becuz its cut to fit YOUR body/waistline better, and your legs will be more comfortable on the cushion-plus no more sliding under hard throttle! Best comfort mod, BAR NONE on my bike:bowdown: *not like I spent any $$ on it:whistle:*

2nd-Go with Adjustable rearsets for max. range away from stock set position-I went with Vortex Rearsets, set as far down n forward as possible...cant lean as deep in corners, but my bike was lowered/stretchd anyway.

3rd-Get a Double-bubble windscreen if u dont have one (i prefer Zero Grav.) gets the wind offa your chest n outta your face a bit more-also makes a bigger air-pocket when your 'tucked'-if you like to do that sort of thing:whistle:

4th-new grips will help if you have gi-normous hands; I like the billet ones but some prefer the gel-take your pic, they come in all colors/shapes/sizes. if You cruise, Throttlemeisters will def. help keep your wrist intact, and there are several folks on here that can recommend good steering-stem mounts for GPS nav-devices, that shud about cover it for basic comfort-mods.:thumbsup:

Thanks BigDiesel! I've been wanting to tune my suspension but wasn't sure how much I could do myself or how much I could get out of the stock suspension. Under normal braking the front dives pretty good and I can't imagine what it would do under hard breaking.

I think I got my list now thanks to everybody's help.

1. Adjust suspension
2. Vortex Rearsets
3. New Windscreen
4. New Seat
5. New Grips
6. Heli-Bars

I may not do it in that order but that is everything that I want to do to make the bike a little better on the long runs for me. :thumbsup:

You guys are awesome and thanks again!

Check out the mirror spacers on my busa. They improve the rear visability 100% if you have big shoulders like me. Can't remember the vendor as they were given to me by my buddy omslaw, but I think they were available on ebay.:thumbsup:

wm_normal_eureka-2008-sat_184.jpg

Back