Help! flat rear tire

switchback

Registered
Hi everyone. Switchback here.

Can you lend a hand? I found a piece of glass stuck in my tread. Needless to say, the back tire is flat.

I have it up on a rear stand and have no clue what the easiest way to go about this is.

Are there any flat fixing goo's in a can that will fix this? It's a small rip under the lip of one of the treads. (It's a 6 month old Pilot Power.)

I have no experience with a motorcycle tire whatsoever. Any advice would be appreciated.
1zhelp.gif

If it were mine bike, I'd replace the tire. Not worth worrying about whether it will hold up or risking it going flat out on the road in the middle of nowhere.

Of course if it were my bike, a 6 month old Pilot Power would be into the cord.
biggrin.gif

I've successfully plugged a nail hole before but a glass cut usually tears up the threads that make up the tire's carcass. Only an inside patch might work but even then, the tire's stress loads can rip that tear open even wider and that would cause an almost instant air loss. BTW, I don't think I've ever had a rear tire for six whole months, and I ride three bikes!
biggrin.gif

Most of the 6 months - winter time sitting in the garage... it's a new tire basically. Ggrrr.... What a waste of a good tire.

As Herman Munster once said - Darn Darn Darn Darn Darn!

<!--EDIT|switchback
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149100927 -->

worriedHerman.jpg

think you mite be out a rear tire bro-I got a nail in my brand-new Qualifier but thats easy to fix...never tried to patch up a "rip" in the tread, as u described...that sounds too risky, especially if you like the triple-digits. I'd take tire to a dealer, see what their opinion is, and ask if there's a wrranty from manufacturer? just a thought...:p

if it were a nail or screw i'd consider getting a "patch plug" a temporary fix but since it was a piece of glass i'd replace it like these guys said...

You guys are awesome. Thanks for the advice.

One more thing though: has anyone ever taken the rear tire off before? I was looking at what would have to be done. It doesn't look like anything major. I'm used to working on my own cars. Haven't done a lot with bikes though. So this is a newer experience for me.

Usually, someone has run into some little gotcha doing stuff like this... Any advice before I start pulling the rear wheel off?

Thanks again. You guys are great!
beerchug.gif

Pretty self explanitory. You can download the service manual to your computer somewhere on this site, it will walk you right through it. Do a search for service manual and download it.

Hey Bro

Just do a burnout till it pops, then REPLACE the tire and chalk up the experience as one of lifes guilty pleasures......
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|321CYA
Reason for Edit: None given...|1149135159 -->

OK - piece of cake. Got 'er all put back together with the new rubber and brakes... rides like a dream. I was very meticulous about getting the adjustments exact on both sides.

Cleaned and oiled the sproket and chain. Wow - the busa is ridin' sweet.

Thanks for the help. It was easy and the manual was straight forward.

Your butt is riding on a patch of rubber no bigger than the palm of your hand. You want the tire in the best possible condition to handle your butt. Replace the tire and that's that.

Had a new Pilot Power with less then 200 miles. Picked up a nail. Michelin said they would not warranty a repaired tire.

Back