Help Chain Broke

loboboy

Donating Member
Registered
You guys won't be lieve this! I rolled around a corner and hit the throttle and the chain snapped and broke the gear shift case cover. The bike is 4 months old with 2700 miles on it, will the warranty cover this? Let me know if you guys have had this problem. I take it to the shop tommorrow for further investigation.

Most likely not due to 98.9%* of the time the chain breaks due to improper adjustment and 1.0%* of the time due to battery acid leaking from battery (but not on a Busa if battery was serviced correctly) 0.1%* real chain failure

Note *= approx numbers

With 2700 miles your chain will not be covered because it is a wear item. Suzuki will use that plus the fact 2700 miles is plenty of time to *abuse* the chain. Wheelies, burnouts, failure to properly lube/adjust chain etc. Sorry dude, but it sounds like you are out of luck.
If you have a good relationship with your dealer he might work with you on the cost of repair. Also if you have modified the ecm any. (tre etc).

If its not covered, the gear shift shaft cover is an easy fix and cheap fix. a basic do it yourselfer. You can order it for about $49 bucks.. But also check the gear shift shaft to make sure there are no bends or dings in it. If you need instructions for doing it your self pm me and i'll walk you through it

Sorry to hear about this.....
Seems to me that this is alot more frequent for Busa owners than other models! Wonder if it has to do with the power of the mighty Busa.....

I've been told the stock chains aren't very durable to begin with, so I expect to replace mine fairly early on...is that rumor true guys?

Sorry about the damage loboboy...hope you've got a good rapport with your dealer; hope he can help you out...

I just hit 15,000 miles on my original stock chain that I keep well lubed & clean. Sprokets are in good shape too, chain is a bit stretched though.

I have had naghtmares about the chain breaking at about 150mph. Eeeeeeeeeeeyow! :eek: :eek:

Ahhhh...good info guys! Glad I asked...I just assumed the info I'd been told was true...

Great...I'm keeping the chain well lubed and adjusted...best I can do...

:)

Have heard horror stories about snapping chains on the Busa and destroying engine cases as well.  Clean, lubed and replace when streched.

A streched chain is really the pins inside wearing.  The plates wear grooves in them and this of course weakens the chain.:44:

I have an excellent example of this in my shop.  I'll try to get a shot of it to post.

I have to thank some sharp eyed member of this board for pointing this out on MY Busa, when I posted a cracked rim picture.

Sorry to hear that.The stock chain is rated for 9200 ft lbs.The bestafter market of the same size i have seen is rated for 10500,i have heard of a few broken stock chains but its seems as though the guys loved doing smoke shows and who knows about thier adjustment.This was a concern of mine, so i talked to a suzuki racer i know who works on the bikes and he told me it shouldnt be an issue. :super:

Most likely not due to 98.9%* of the time the chain breaks due to improper adjustment and 1.0%* of the time due to battery acid leaking from battery (but not on a Busa if battery was serviced correctly) 0.1%* real chain failure

Note *= approx numbers
It seems to be going towards the poop out of Luck side of things. I am waiting on the TSM from Suzuki to contact the dealer for the final say in the matter. I am keeping my fingers crossed but not getting my hopes up. I am going to have the guys order the parts so they get here soon so If they cover it they are here or if they don't I don't have to wait for the parts to come in. The damage is only to the covers and not the cases themselves so I got lucky.
I will probably have to chock this one up to experience and start replacing my chain every 2000 miles, The bad thing is that I had just cleaned the chain and inspected it a week ago and found no abnormalities with the chain. OH WELL Which chain do you guys recommend? let me know since I have to order one anyway.

I've been told the stock chains aren't very durable to begin with, so I expect to replace mine fairly early on...is that rumor true guys?

Sorry about the damage loboboy...hope you've got a good rapport with your dealer; hope he can help you out...
I dunno, I only got 25,000 miles out of mine.

just changed my chain yesterday after 17K.
had tight spots. I replaced it with a DID Prof.-X Ring and Vortex sprokets. $199 for all

I have the stock blue master link chain...13k soon..have not been nice to it but never let it get loose.keep it lubed..lot's of high speed here and there and roll off roll on wheelies..served me well so far..Some like to argue about when it's time to replace it....I have had many! Street bikes. The main clue..without measuring links and such....the second you see "ANY" Rust coming
out of the orings...replace it and you can get many many miles out of your sprockets..40K on a 900 ninja..sprockets still fine...Kz900 same Tx 500 Yam....30k same..look for the red oxides..and toss that puppie..it work's..
:cool:

Give us more background info on how you maintained the chain,
Like how many times did you lube it & adjust it within those 2700 miles?
Did you ever ride in the rain?
Did you ever ride on dirt roads?
Let us know, maybe some of us guys can save ourselves some grief.
If i were getting a new chain it would be the EK530ZVX Quad X Ring, said to be the STRONGEST Made.
I bet most turbo busas have this chain.

Back