Help breaking down my VIN

rikrok

Registered
When I purchased my bike a few weeks ago, it was advertised as a 2000. The title just showed up and has it as a 2001. I looked at the Busa history page and it is a 2000 color combo, red (burgundy) and silver. The I went to the VIN page and the numbers and letters don't jive. I do know the bike was purchased new by an overseas solider and brought back here. It also has a headlight on-off switch, which was on the EU models. Did the EU models have all the same specs and how do I determine the year?
VIN is JS1A1111100xxxxxx, I do know that the last 6 numbers are just the build cycle count.
Any help is appreciated.

The break down page on VINS show using the 10th digit as the year
X=1999
Y=2000
1=2001

I have a 0, which isnt even listed. Here is the page. Nothing in mine correspondes excpet for the JS1.

Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
If it was made in Japan and not intended for sale in the U.S., the VIN format will not be standard to what we use in the U.S. If it has EU characteristics, then the bike was likely purchased by a soldier in Germany and shipped back to the states.

If you'll take photos of the VIN and send it to me I can tell you whether or not its been tampered with. I used to be an auto theft detective trained by Texas DPS.

It was definatley a EU bike. I have then info pack that cam with it, also a receipt for some kind of micro dot marking system installed over there. The VIN plate and the title do match. Does anyone, short of the light switch if there are any other differences?

Im pretty sure running lights should be standard over there? I think someone said the turn signals have them.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hmm, going to check that tonight. The head light housing has one additional smaller bulb in it I have noticed.

Hmm, going to check that tonight. The head light housing has one additional smaller bulb in it I have noticed.

That could be the parking light? When you turn the key to park does it come on? My SV had one, but my busa only lights up the taillight?

Pics if you can :beerchug:

Euro models had a on off switch for the head lite!

That could be the parking light? When you turn the key to park does it come on? My SV had one, but my busa only lights up the taillight?

Pics if you can :beerchug:

Right you are, it is the parking light. It comes on when the key is in the park postion or the headlight switch is in the center position. However the bike has no running lights, meaning the flashers are not duel filament.

i believe the euro has the "flasher" option on the starter housing. sorry no help with vin i.d. breakdown but another distinguished option to detect that it is euro.

Back