Help a Noob - no rear signals on Hotbodies Undertail

dx3

Registered
Guys,

I just got a new Hayabusa (2002 model) so bear with me.

69b9e8f3.jpg

Is this the Hotbodies Undertail? What are the 2 outside holes supposed to be for? I don't see them in stock pictures...?

So only one of my taillights is working and none of my rear turn signals. I just got the bike, and know very little about it. What bulbs are these that go in there?

If the turn signals are built into the tails, is it possible that the filament for the turn signal could burn out without the tailight stopping working also?

Sorry guys, confused by this :banghead:

Thanks,
Jonny

Hi Jonny,
I'm new to the org and busa world too. There's a lot of great minds on here so ask away...I'm looking to put an undertail kit on my 02 as well and although I'm not positive that looks like the yana shiki model not hot bodies. Someone will have the answer for u but I bet Pashnit is the guy to talk to if its the yana shiki.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi Jonny,
I'm new to the org and busa world too. There's a lot of great minds on here so ask away...I'm looking to put an undertail kit on my 02 as well and although I'm not positive that looks like the yana shiki model not hot bodies. Someone will have the answer for u but I bet Pashnit is the guy to talk to if its the yana shiki.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, I still don't see those 2 exterior holes in their stock pictures...?

EUROS101CH-2.jpg

Jonny

it not a hot bodies undertail. hot bodies have led lights and the ones i have clear leds on my 02. welcome to the org.

Looks like a UFO kit without the turn lights, lenses and correct tail lights. Most likely a knockoff.
RTS201EGPR-2.jpg

It looks like there are LEDs under those red lenses so that throws your burnt filament out the window. Check the wiring for loose/broken connections.
Maybe you can contact a vendor to get the correct lights and lenses without having to buy the whole kit.

Last edited:
Oh boy, well this has been interesting. I want to slap the $hit out of the previous owner. I realized why my turn signals weren't working

b2cc73df.jpg

Yup, that's right - they aren't even plugged in. What type of idiot sells a bike to someone and doesn't even warn them that the rear turn signals aren't even connected. Oh yeah, here are the tails/brake lights - no wonder they work intermittently

f5aef670.jpg

Solder - no
Butt connector - no
Shrink wrap - no
Electrical Tape - no
Wrapped up and not even covered like a 6-year old would do - yes.

People amaze me sometimes.

So I have one out of 2 pigtails for the turn signals, and no lens covers. Fantastic.

Jonny

Oh crap! At least it is an easy fix. The two smaller holes are for turn signals.

You have a Top Gun undertail. An outfit out of Texas that went out of business some years back. Also marketed under the "GP1 Undertail" name. Only Hot Bodies & Yana Shiki are left still making undertails for the Gen-I Hayabusa.

You are missing the lens' that go on the left & right?

busa1_undertail.jpg

busa2_undertail.jpg

busa3_undertail.jpg

busa4_undertail.jpg

This one was called the War Eagle. Same undertail.

busa5_undertail.jpg

Most popular trade name was likely the UFO Undertail. (see the butt cheeks in the mold?) Still the same undertail.

busa6_undertail.jpg

busa1_undertail.jpg

busa2_undertail.jpg

busa3_undertail.jpg

busa4_undertail.jpg

busa5_undertail.jpg

busa6_undertail.jpg

Have fun with that wiring. Solder gun & shrink wrap. I used quick connectors on mine.

busa7_undertail.jpg

busa7_undertail.jpg

You have a Top Gun undertail. An outfit out of Texas that went out of business some years back. Also marketed under the "GP1 Undertail" name. Only Hot Bodies & Yana Shiki are left still making undertails for the Gen-I Hayabusa.

You are missing the lens' that go on the left & right?

View attachment 198770

View attachment 198771

View attachment 198772

View attachment 198773

This one was called the War Eagle. Same undertail.

View attachment 198774

Most popular trade name was likely the UFO Undertail. (see the butt cheeks in the mold?) Still the same undertail.

View attachment 198775

Awesome information - thank you sir :bowdown: I found some lights/lenses at Napa today so I am hoping they will work until I can find a more long-term fix. But yes, I am missing the small turn signal lenses on either side.

For connections I use some really cool "specialty" connectors from Waytek Wire. They have a solder band inside the connector, so basically you put both ends in like a regular butt connector, but instead of crimping you put a heat gun on it, the solder ring melts and solders the 2 wires together, and then the rest of it turns into a heat shrink. They are about $0.55 each, but worth every penny. Especially when you are rewiring a whole car :thumbsup:

Will let you guys know if the new lights work. Regards,

Jonny

Last edited:
Did you get a chance to check the bike before buying it? The "holes" in the undertail and non-working turn signals should have been easy to catch before completing the deal. Hope you do not find anything else "missing."

Well, I had some success with the lights from Napa. While it doesn't look perfect, I am actually very happy with it. So without further ado...

606aae6f.jpg

Thank you everyone for your advice,
Jonny

Guys,

I just got a new Hayabusa (2002 model) so bear with me.

69b9e8f3.jpg

Is this the Hotbodies Undertail? What are the 2 outside holes supposed to be for? I don't see them in stock pictures...?

So only one of my taillights is working and none of my rear turn signals. I just got the bike, and know very little about it. What bulbs are these that go in there?

If the turn signals are built into the tails, is it possible that the filament for the turn signal could burn out without the tailight stopping working also?

Sorry guys, confused by this :banghead:

Thanks,
Jonny

the hole2 are for led blinks that should of came with the tail section

Back