Help. A friend asked a question I can't answer

majestic12

Hunting Kawasakis
Donating Member
Registered
A friend of mine is looking at a sv650. She needs it lowered and asked if I knew what it took. I am ignorant in this department so I desided to see if the mass of knowlage that is the Hayabusa.org could help her out.

I know a lot of you have significant others that have lowered the SV650. She went to the local dealership (Beaudry's) and the tuner there was not much help. He just wanted to sell her a bike that was twice the price. He even tryed to put a nail in the coffin by saying you had to chop the front forks to lower the bike. Is this right?

Also the ambigus "They" said it would have a negitive effect on the way the bike preformed. Those of you with the lowered SV650, it would be nice to have some real world advice.

One last thing. She has years of experince on a Ninja 250 but would like something bigger.

She is about 5'4" and maybe 130 lbs.

Thanks in advance.

Dustin.

you will have a negative affect on handling.. but she can get used to it.. it wont turn in quite as good but anyone with a lowered bus can attest to that..

You do NOT have to chop the forks.. they make lowering links for the rear and spacers for the front forks.

Very easy to lower but depending on how much to lower. Suzuki dog bones just like a busa. Front end , raise the tubes up in the tree. Can also shave the seat down.
Actually at 5ft 4 in, about 2 in with the dog bones only and shave the seat should put her flat footed.

you will have a negative affect on handling.. but she can get used to it.. it wont turn in quite as good but anyone with a lowered bus can attest to that..

You do NOT have to chop the forks.. they make lowering links for the rear and spacers for the front forks.

I will have to diagree on negative effect, effect yes. I have two SV's in my garage, one lowered one not, I have ridden both hard in some very sweet twisties, a micro slower on turn in's with the lowered bike but not enough to slow anybody down.

I can't say enough good things about the SV's and only one bad thing not enough power. They are great all around and lower with dogbones no sweat, handling won't be noticeably affected on the street although you would notice on the track.
Marie
Queen of the Banned
DCFC0135.jpg

I LOVE my SV650!! I am 5'1" and hubby had to lower it 2 inches for me to be able to touch the ground. I know that when he did the lowering all he had to use were some lowering links.

I will direct him to this thread to add his two cents.

:poke:on the sv the forks stop and cannot go up through the tripples, the bars are mounted right straight above the forks...got to get clip ons and remove stock bars and mount if you want to lower the same amount front and rear

Last edited:
1) the dealer will not have a "tuner". They wil have salesmen and mechanics trained (maybe) to work according to factory processes on stock bikes.

2) lowering a bike does not effect the handling if it is done correctly. It will reduce the lean angle available, so you'll scrape hard parts sooner if you are pushing it.

3) SV is a great starter bike. Like Marie said, its not a powerhouse, but it is a good handling very forgiving bike.

1) the dealer will not have a "tuner". They wil have salesmen and mechanics trained (maybe) to work according to factory processes on stock bikes.

2) lowering a bike does not effect the handling if it is done correctly. It will reduce the lean angle available, so you'll scrape hard parts sooner if you are pushing it.

3) SV is a great starter bike. Like Marie said, its not a powerhouse, but it is a good handling very forgiving bike.

Actually my boys who ride the SV's complain about the same thing. We started with exhaust and then -1 on primary sprocket, let them ride that way for a whole, this summer with be fuel management, then full exhaust and that should do them for the 2 year required by the lean holder on the bikes and then they can move up to whatever they can afford.
But they have no problems staying with their friend on an ZX 600r or me in the twisties around St Helens, they just pout when we walk away on the straight areas

Lowering a bike does affect its ability to handle because it lowers center of gravity and capacity of travel. If done improperly (ie through rebound/preload) it can be dangerous.

I would say to SLIGHTLY consider lowering just the rear and shaving the seat are the best options.

Lowering a bike does affect its ability to handle because it lowers center of gravity and capacity of travel. If done improperly (ie through rebound/preload) it can be dangerous.

I would say to SLIGHTLY consider lowering just the rear and shaving the seat are the best options.

You never want to lower the rear w/ out lowering the front, you will completely screw up any turning ability.

:bs::bs::bs::bs:

Have you ever tried to ride a bike that way??

I bought my Wife a used Katana about 6 years ago that was lowered for the previous owners Wife. They lowered the rear & left the front at the stock setting. I almost wrecked it twice just test riding it.

Maybe I need to learn how to ride a motorcycle :whistle:

Have you ever tried to ride a bike that way??

I bought my Wife a used Katana about 6 years ago that was lowered for the previous owners Wife. They lowered the rear & left the front at the stock setting. I almost wrecked it twice just test riding it.

Maybe I need to learn how to ride a motorcycle :whistle:

I guess what degree they lowered it also matters?

Did you overlook the word Slightly?

as for your abilities...no clue. I know many people who lower bikes for women without issue.

so much bad info.....its amazing.

lowering the bike will not effect the steering geometry or the bikes handling...if done correctly.

some people may only lower the rear, this will lessen the rake of the forks. your bike will turn and handle like a chopper.

some will only lower the front, this bike will be really unsteady at speed or straight line riding and may turn in too quickly for most riders to be comfortable....

if you lower both the front and rear an equal amount, the steering geometry will stay the same, the bike will turn the same and ride the same....

lowering a bike will effect ground clearance, but the SV is really thin and it should not really be an issue. yes the center of gravity will be slightly lower, this will however effect the wheelieing the bike, turning will not be effected so much.

Back