Help. A friend asked a question I can't answer

so much bad info.....its amazing.

lowering the bike will not effect the steering geometry or the bikes handling...if done correctly.

some people may only lower the rear, this will lessen the rake of the forks. your bike will turn and handle like a chopper.

some will only lower the front, this bike will be really unsteady at speed or straight line riding and may turn in too quickly for most riders to be comfortable....

if you lower both the front and rear an equal amount, the steering geometry will stay the same, the bike will turn the same and ride the same....

lowering a bike will effect ground clearance, but the SV is really thin and it should not really be an issue. yes the center of gravity will be slightly lower, this will however effect the wheelieing the bike, turning will not be effected so much.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I love the vague generalizations

I am said owner of the Katana (MPH200 spoke of) that was improperly lowered = rear only ... and the handling of that bike absolutely sucked ass until it was adjusted properly!

I am 5'3" and on my 4th bike, all lowered equally in the front and rear. I normally average 12k - 15k miles per year on the street, with a track day or two thrown in. IMO, the ability to plant my foot in an unstable situation or to be able to back up on an incline BY FAR outweigh the negative effects of having to go a little slower over speed humps, railroad tracks, etc. The 600rr is tall enough, even with the dog bones, that I have had no issues dragging hard parts, even on the track. My tires are worn from edge to edge, so I know it's not because I'm only riding in a straitht line. My suspension has also been professionally set, which also helped.

If you honestly do not know what you are doing, do your friend a favor and help her find someone who has experience in this area. She will be a much more confident rider if she can plant her foot, so lowering the bike is not a bad option ... just one that needs to be taken care of properly by someone with experience and knowledge in this area.

Last edited:
Lower the front and rear together. Do whatever it takes.

Adjust the suspension settings according to the weight of the rider.

The handling will not change enough to matter to a non-professional racing rider as long as you do those two things.

If you have enough room, shaving the seat is optimal but it sounds like you need more room than you'll get just out of the seat.

--Wag--

Back