Help: 2009 Busa - Rough Starts With Smoke

cbayne

Registered
Any advice would be much appreciating in helping me diagnose the following problem:

(1) Bike Details - 2009 Busa with Bazzaz and Yoshi R-55 exhaust - PAIR values disabled but present - bike has clean map pulling around 160 HP at the rear wheel on Dyno - bike burns no apparent oil, based on oil level check approximately once every two weeks

(2) Frequency of Event - roughly once every three (3) months - problem occurs on startup after bike parked for several days - parked at approx 65-80 degrees F on sidestand.

(3) Details of Event - bike starts with some hesitation and idles very roughly - feels like running on two or three cyclers - strong smell of oil coming from the pipe. After about 30 seconds engine is barely running - white smoke begins to issue from pipe as bike warms up. Must keep jogging throttle to keep RPM above normal idle at 1200. After roughly two minutes of assisted idling there is no improvement in running condition. After no idling improvement start bike rolling - very, very heavy white smoke issuing from pipe with very strong smell of oil. After 1/4 mile at about 15-20 MPH bike is barely running with extreme amount of smoke issuing from bike. After 1/2 mile at about 15-20 MPH condition begins to clear and all cylinders appear to be firing. After 1.5 miles bike is running perfectly but still smells like oil is burning. Park bike after 7 miles and leave during work day. 8 hours later bike starts perfectly with no noticeable problem - no noticeable degradation in performance. Problem does not re-occur for months.

(4) more details - during earlier occurrence of problem bike was immediately driven to Suzuki shop (in Honolulu, HI) - bike was running fine by the time bike made it to shop. Mechanics pulled plugs and they (purportedly) looked clean - bike reportedly dyno's with no problems and good mapping.

(5) theories - 2 theories: First, one of the value seals is leaking (bad seal or irregular valve stem) causing oil from head to leak into cyclinder whenever that valve (probably exhaust value) is open on shutdown. Second, leaking head gasket causing oil to leak into two adjacent cylinders.

Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated. I am concerned that this episode could lead to serious engine damage if it continues. How can I verify that the problem is with valve or gasket or something else.

Thanks for any advice.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Chris your bike should be pulling more than 160 HP on the dyno, that is not good at all where in honolulu are you o work in pearl harbor and can help you take a look... PS have you talked to ted, ivan or even andy's about your problem? i have no trust at the mechanical skills from the folks working at Cycle sports nowdays. PM me if interested

I'd get that checked out before it's run anymore. You should be making mid-170's at the rear wheel in stock form. ???

Your dyno numbers are a little low to me. I would definetly take it to another shop and have them check it out.

Sounds like a head gasket based on the white smoke but the fact that it goes away on warm up is odd when it only does it once every few months... ???

Has it done it since day one or since putting the mods on...?

Which hose do you have blocked on the PAIR mod...?

What kind of dyno is the bike run on...?

First instance occurred after about five months of purchase - mods were installed at purchase. I believe that the airbox connection to the PAIR system is blocked. Sorry, not sure what kind of dyno it was run on. Be advised that my quote of 160 HP may have been a bit low. I did not save the printout but I seemed to recall that it was 160. Whatever the number, the dyno tech seemed to be impressed. I don't think that the bike is lacking in power, but I will obtain the printout from the shop to verify the measured rear-wheel horsepower.

I have no mechanical skills, but :welcome: to the site. These guys seem to be providing you lots of input already.

i'm local here and can assist any way we can, and i used to be the guy that always paid for everything to get done. I learn my lesson a few years back, not no one touches my bike unless is for oil changes..:laugh: and still i do take all the panels off to take it to the shop for that.

160 no good at all take her in, I agree with the above post that it sounds like a head issue or a dead cylinder. Be easy on it till you can get it in to be checked, and maybe it will just be something simple :thumbsup:

Back