Helmets

Stealth_Busa

Registered
Ok, so I am in the market for a new helmet and I was wondering who out there could provide me some information about buffeting.

I currently own a Shoei RF 800. At high speed it buffets my head like crazy. I am 6', and even when I am really tucked behind my Zero Gravity screen, my head still gets bounced around.

My buddy has an RF 900, but is only 5'8", and does not have the buffeting issue.

From all of the real world experiences we have on this board, what helmet provides the least amout of buffeting?

I am thinking of going with the Arai RX 7 Corsair, but would like to get some feed back before making this purchase. Besides, marketing can claim just about anything, but I prefer real world input.

Many thanks in advance

Stealth, the one and only.

coffeecup.gif

I'm 6'8" and have a RF 900. I do get buffeting behind my power bronze wind screen, but with other helmets it is worse. Over all I think it is a comfortable helmet.

Stealth:  If you can make it to the International Motorcycle Show or an AMA event, find the Arai booth and let the Master Fitter size you up.  I thought I wore an XLarge RX7RR4.  I actually need a Arai Signet GT in size MEDIUM with 12MM cheekpads.  I am wearing a helmet two sizes too big because no one knew how to properly size my head.  Like the Arai rep said, "If you have wind noise or buffeting, you have the wrong helmet."  Good luck,  Bob
tounge.gif

I just went form a HJC AC10 to a Shoei X-Eleven. Haven't had any buffeting but I haven't been over 160 since I got it. Great helmet though. Almost no neck fatigue.

Steve

Ok,  so I am in the market for a new helmet and I was wondering who out there could provide me some information about buffeting.

I currently own a Shoei RF 800.  At high speed it buffets my head like crazy.  I am 6', and even when I am really tucked behind my Zero Gravity screen, my head still gets bounced around.

My buddy has an RF 900, but is only 5'8", and does not have the buffeting issue.

From all of the real world experiences we have on this board, what helmet provides the least amout of buffeting?

I am thinking of going with the Arai RX 7 Corsair, but would like to get some feed back before making this purchase.  Besides, marketing can claim just about anything, but I prefer real world input.

Many thanks in advance

coffeecup.gif
I would absolutely love to try the New Arai. I have the Hayden replica RX7-RR4 and I love it! I'll never get another brand of helmet.

Make sure the sizing is correct. Every make has different sizes.
I wear a medium shoei, large or med arai(dependent on the model and a large suomy.

Bad fit is the reason it buffets.

My old shoei started to buffet and i knew it was old and wore out.

FATJAP

Ok,  so I am in the market for a new helmet and I was wondering who out there could provide me some information about buffeting.

I currently own a Shoei RF 800.  At high speed it buffets my head like crazy.  I am 6', and even when I am really tucked behind my Zero Gravity screen, my head still gets bounced around.

I am thinking of going with the Arai RX 7 Corsair, but would like to get some feed back before making this purchase.  Besides, marketing can claim just about anything, but I prefer real world input.

Many thanks in advance

coffeecup.gif
Try a air strip on the helmet. they work for some people. I like my Nolan stays calsm at 200mph.

I guess I need to ask what everyone else means by buffeting? By buffeting I mean the helmet gets pushed around by gusts of wind. Do people really buy such poor fitting helmets that are so loose that they beat the heck out of themselves with it? I think having some buffeting is unavaidable. Am I wrong?

big wall,

I think to further define the issue is to state that buffeting is a function of aerodynamics, not entirely a poor fitting helmet. Aerodynamics in relationship to seating position, and head postion relative to the angle of attack into the airstream.

On a more traditional upright bike, HD Duece for example, I experiance no buffeting, my head is stable into the wind.

I am also not traveling mach 1 on the duece, but the point is that even at a moderate speed, a poor fiting full face helmet, would hit my chin, and my helmet does not. It does not hit my chin on the Hayabusa either, even at mach 1.

To this point it becomes an aerodynamic issue, to smooth the airflow around the helmet, in relation to the angle of attack into the airstream, which would be defferent on a more traditional upright bike than the more agressive forward reaching Hayabusa.

Finding that helmet is the function of the question, based on real world experience from the board.

Stealth, the one and only,

coffeecup.gif

I see. This is kinda interesting. It would seem that helmet aerodynamics, to prevent buffeting, would have almost an infinite number of variables between different riders, helmets and bikes. How would Arai take these into effect when they do their helmet fittings to get the proper fit for each rider's position, bike, etc.?

I am 6'5 and ride with the stock windscreen for now. The arai quantum I use tends to stay fairly stable when tucked. otherwise I get the same thing at highway speeds the buffeting helmet bounce.

I have worn both The Shoei RF 800 and the Arai Quantum.  Honestly I think you need to focus on what fits. I wear a large Shoei or a Medium Arai so trying them on is important.  I have found Buffeting to always be a problem in any sort of traffic though, to many cages stirring up the air.  

Now if you are experiancing allot of buffeting when riding in clean air and its not your fairing, (stand on your pegs to find out) Here is something you may try...

Ok this sounds goofy..."maybe a bit Mcguyver" but experiment a little with some tape or weather stripping or something just across your helmet about 3/4 of the way back just before your helmet starts to curve down to the back of your neck.  I am thinking alot of the "buffeting" is actually lift generated by the fast moving air flowing over the helmets rounded surface.  If you can get a "spoiler" to break the air off the surface you might be able to reduce your buffeting and keep the helmet from dancing on your head so much.  I wouldn't think it would have to be very big.  Just maybe 1/4 inch high little ridge.  Just something big enough to bounce the air off the surface...   This is pretty much what allot of the newer helmets are coming equiped with,(No Not Duct Tape) but something to "spoil" the airflow across the curved surfaces to reduce lift...think NASCAR trunks but with your helmet.
suspect.gif

I just got a new KBC Racer 1 and it moves a little more than the Arai Quantum S it replaces but I think it's only because even though they are both a large size, the KBC is bigger on the outside. I have a stock screen and got to 100+ with little helmet movement (buffeting).

I think that it is important to make the distinction between "disturbed" and "undisturbed" airflow when discussing helmet buffeting. Some helmets may be aerodynamically stable in an "undisturbed" airflow, but react poorly to turbulence.

Here are my personal observations on several available helmets that my friends and I own. All of these fit me tightly, some not comfortable (to me) and just worn for a quick high-speed blast:

Shoei RF800: Mild flutter and lift in clean air. Annoying two-axis wobble in turbulent air. Some sensitivity to head-turning. Rating: so-so

Shoie RF900: Little flutter and lift in clean air. Some low-frequency "tracking" of turbulent air. Some sensitivity to head-turning. Rating: OK

Shoei X-SPII: No flutter or lift in clean air. Almost no reaction to turbulence, or head-turning. Rating: Very good.

Shoei X-II: No flutter or lift in clean air. Almost no reaction to turbulence. Excellent head-turning characteristics. Rating: Excellent.

Schuberth Concept: Little flutter and lift in clean air. Some mild reaction to turbulence. Good head-turning characteristics. Rating: Good.

X-lite (Nolan) X-901: No flutter, but a small amount of lift in clean air. Some mild reaction to turbulence. Good head-turning characteristics. Rating: Good.

HJC CL-12: Little flutter, some lift in clean air. Some medium frequency response of turbulent air. Some sensitivity to head-turning. Rating: OK

Disclaimer: These are my impressions. Your mileage my vary, blah-blah-blah...

Mike

Hey guys, thanks for all of the input.

Revlis - Great Input on the Strip, Same goes to Ninja Eater.

Great analogy with NASCAR, I have often suspected that's why the RF900 was more stable.

amsctalx - Great observations, the Shoei X-11 is also on my list with the Arai Corsair.

Thanks again, this is what I was looking for.

Stealth, the one and only

coffeecup.gif

Hey Stealth,
Keep me posted, I am going to be buying a new lid soon and Aria is currently the front runner.  Though I really like Shoei's Roberts Replica Z-Two I think?  X-Two?  Anyway would be interesting to see what happens.

I just bought a Nobby replica RF-900 for the wife from <span style='color:royalblue'>Moto-Xtreme.</span>  They kinda fuxored the shipping charges a bit but the helmet showed up as promised, They are clearing out all their '02 lids so I got it for $190.  Seemed to be a good deal.

My original helmet was a Shoei RF-800 (Large). I recently switched up to the Arai Astral (Medium) and I agree with what everyone has been saying... When the helmet is matched to fit your head, it makes a HUGE difference! Not nearly as much buffetting.

I love my Arai.

Remember when selecting an Arai that each helmet style is designed for a different shaped head.

Back