helmets

my kbc wolf flows a huge amount of air. It has quite a bit of wind noise which kinda pisses me off but I put up with it cuz its comfy & cool

I own 2 Shoei RF900's. Pretty good helmet and very comfortable. Not noisy at all. I will soon be looking into a third helmet and it will either be the Shoei RF1000 or an Arai.

Brian

Arai Quantum/F has great ventilation. I would say try on an Arai before you buy one off the internet to make sure you like the fit.

The company I bought my Arai Quantum from was Motoxoutlet. It is an eBay store, but I bought my helmet directly from it (i.e. I didn't have to bid on a silly eBay auction or wait until the company posted the type of helmet I wanted as a "Buy It Now" item); just open one of its auctions, click on the "Ask Seller a Question" field under the seller's name, and send an e-mail message requesting the type of helmet you want. I paid $414.99, which included shipping. In addition, my helmet was a special order (it's not too popular with the kids, I guess, but Nakano had a good season with Team Yamaha), and it took only two weeks to get it: sweet!

Here's the URL: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=1682601&ssPageName=L4

Motoxoutlet is run out of Utah, so you would only have to pay for shipping in addition to the helmet cost: no sales tax!

Of course, you've probably already checked out Arai's website, but it couldn't hurt to review the different types of helmets Arai offers. The 360-degree view function is helpful. Check out: http://www.araiamericas.com/product/product_home.html

What you need to do before you buy an Arai (or any helmet) online is make sure you know your helmet size. Arai helmets have a different shape than Shoei helmets, but I wear the same size in both. In any event, you need to try on the size that gives you the most snug fit. In addition, Quantum helmets have a different shape and fit than the Signet model and the Astral (I guess that would include the RX-7,
too). I recommend stopping by the local motorsports shop and trying on a lid there. The kids behind the counter should be friendly about it, even if their qualification as "Arai-authorized fitment professionals" is dubious at best. Arai doesn't allow stores to sell its helmets through mail order (most likely for legal/lawsuit prevention reasons), but I don't think there is any reason to pay full retail for the helmets when similarly-featured lids sell for $200 less.

One last piece of advice: between the helmet brands, Arai and Shoei are the best as far as my experience and the recommendations of the writers at _Motorcyclist_ and _Sport Rider_. The writers for _Rider_
magazine also seem to prefer these two brands, but they are less likely to say one brand is *the best*, which is a nice objective breath of fresh air, but irritating to people new to the products. If money is no
object, I say buy yourself an Arai, but, if you don't mind saving a hundred or two hundred bucks, the Shoei is a *great* helmet. Daily use with my RF-900 allowed two full years of service and probably a
few more years, too; I just wanted a change in helmet. Shield changes on the Shoei are much easier, and my Shoei was much quieter because it doesn't have the side panels that the Arai does. Because I wear custom earplugs , I don't see much of a difference. Without the plugs, the Arai is a *loud* helmet, and a whistler at that.

<!--EDIT|VFRGuy008
Reason for Edit: None given...|1088277769 -->

No offense to the FL guys, but I lived there for many a year before moving to hell, I mean Arizona...110 degrees is the norm here this time of year. I had a KBC up until I trashed it a coupla months ago...thank God it had a removeable liner..it was dripping after any length of time. Now have a Shoei RF 1000- ventilation is WORLDS better. I've heard good things about the Arai, too. But Definitely try them on, the Arai didn't fit me very well...

No offense to the FL guys, but I lived there for many a year before moving to hell, I mean Arizona...110 degrees is the norm here this time of year. I had a KBC up until I trashed it a coupla months ago...thank God it had a removeable liner..it was dripping after any length of time. Now have a Shoei RF 1000- ventilation is WORLDS better. I've heard good things about the Arai, too. But Definitely try them on, the Arai didn't fit me very well...

Both me and my wife owned Shoei X-SPII ..great ventilation and lightweight... And its really quiet in my opinion

I have a Shoei RF-900 and an Arai Astral. The Arai is lighter and noisier, the venting on them is about equally effective.

While I haven't ridden in one yet, I tried on a Suomy at a local bike shop. I was impressed with the comfort and think they might be lighter than the Arai. I'd like to try one next time I buy a helmet.

Ed

i just picked up a RX-7 Corsair Arai Hayden Replica. Awesome job of keeping things cool in there and very comfortable!!

Most people don't realize just how cool the Arai Corsair is. First off, it's got 4 vents on top/rear that have the venturi vent system which sucks air out. A lot of people only notice the rear 2 - but theres actually 4. 3 more vents up front that allow air in. 10mm holes for each of them which make 7 in total on top. Then it's got the 2 scoop vents on top of the visor. Add the mouth vent and rear neck vents and you've got one well ventalated cranium. Add to this, the most plush interior and custom head shaped helmets, and you've got the most comfy helmet out there. Plus, this helmet is not a loud helmet. It's a little louder because the air is streaming in, but, on a hot day I love hearing that airstream coming in. It's like I know the vents are working. Plus, don't under estimate the fitting. Having the helmet stay perfectly in place when doing a quick glance over your shoulder during lane switches is priceless. The Arai Corsair may be the best designed piece of gear that I have ever owned! I love it.

I have a vega nitro very good ventalation.. very light .. and easy on the wallet.
snell and dot approved.. bought it off of ebay from this seller.. fast shipment

http://stores.ebay.com/JW-MOTO....2QQtZkm
I have the same helmet.

I like it, except the fact that it interferes with my vision when I try to full tuck on the bike. Started a thread on that very issue...

Inexpensive and Snell/DOT approved. If someone demonstrates the value of a $500 helmet over this one I will be sure to invest in one - but I can't see it yet.

I have a vega nitro very good ventalation.. very light .. and easy on the wallet.
snell and dot approved.. bought it off of ebay from this seller.. fast shipment

http://stores.ebay.com/JW-MOTO....2QQtZkm
I have the same helmet.

I like it, except the fact that it interferes with my vision when I try to full tuck on the bike. Started a thread on that very issue...

Inexpensive and Snell/DOT approved. If someone demonstrates the value of a $500 helmet over this one I will be sure to invest in one - but I can't see it yet.
I haven't had one of those Nitros on my noggin but I can give you some generalities between the lesser expensive helmets and the more expensive ones...

- Expensive helmets are generally designed with the assistance of a wind tunnel where design ideas can be validated and optimized. Some venting designs look effective but turn out to be just 'cosmetic' venting.

- Expensive helmets generally have the interior hard foam routed so that the air flows optimally.

- Expensive helmets generally factor for sucking enough air out so that the input air vents aren't blocked with reverse pressure.

- Expensive helmets generally have high grade foam that initially molds well and stays spongy for a long period of time.

- Expsensive helmets generally use materials that draw sweat away from your skin.

- Expensive helmets usually have the visor attachment mechanisms designed for minimal wind noise.

...I could go on. You are usually paying for longevity, finish, and comfort upgrades such as airflow, fit, sweat & noise management. The bottom line: If a helmet is Snell and DOT approved, then the upgrades are just nice-to-haves and possibly extending the life of your investment in a helmet.

I have an RF1000 which matches my bike (blue/black) and I love it. It fits snuggly and seems to be well-made. I also have an HJC CL-10 that's very comfortable. I would highly recommend either.

Back