Helmet Visor Repair

MeltDownZ

Registered
Ordinarily I'd just replace the beotch.  But, at $90 a pop, I'm looking for a fix.  I've read through and really haven't stubbled across anything yet.  My questions:

- Can I use a Dremel to buff out a scratch?

- Has anyone used any products like Janvil Plastic Repair with any success?

- How about buffing with toothpaste?

Help
rock.gif

Thanks!

MIght try to clear fingernail polish, other wise I dunno of any worthwhile product...

what kinda visor do you have that cost $90 a shot?
rock.gif

Dunno about polishing the plastic, guess it would depend on how deep things are.

I've had good luck with toothpaste followed by plastic polish on a cotton cloth. Takes forever but the scratch will eventually disappear.

If you have an IRIDIUM shield, there's nothing you can do other than toss it in the trash. They look nice but are easily damaged and trying to buff it out will make the problem 100X worse. I owned one and I'll never buy one again.

I've had good luck with toothpaste followed by plastic polish on a cotton cloth.  Takes forever but the scratch will eventually disappear.

If you have an IRIDIUM shield, there's nothing you can do other than toss it in the trash.  They look nice but are easily damaged and trying to buff it out will make the problem 100X worse.  I owned one and I'll never buy one again.
Do you buff by hand or with a machine? And, what plastic polish do you use? Thanks!

IF YOU CANT CATCH YOUR FINGERNAIL ON TEH SCRATCH THEN MOST OF THE TIME IT CAN BE BUFFED OUT. THAT IS A BODY WORK RULE OF THUMB, A DREMEL WORKS AS GOOD AS ANYTHING ELSE BUT I WOULD JUST GET RID OF THAT 90 DOLLAR VISOR. I FIGURE IF ITS THAT BIG OF A DEAL THEN REPLACE IT.

If you use a machine, run it SLOOOWW. You do not want to burn the shield. It can probably be buffed out if you are careful and do not just rub down that one spot. Try to blend it with the rest of the shield.

I use plastic polish/cleaner made by Blue Coral. I believe I bought it at Autozone. The smell is putrid but it gets the job done.
I use it regularly on helmet visors and bike shields...takes the bugs off and makes hazing and swirls disappear. I've even used it to get some heavy scratches out of my wrist watch crystals.

I've never used it with a dremel. As someone else mentioned, you could burn the plastic so set it as slow as possible and use light pressure. If you really want to concentrate on a small area use a Q-Tip and just push down on it with moderate pressure.

At $90 are you sure it isn't iridium? I have a hard time believing a Lexan shield can cost that much.

Back