Helmet update... free replacements

Got my replacement parts in today. Actually, Mike from Scorpion USA sent me both twist lock assemblies and covers, as well as a lens cloth. Fricken sweet to say the least. It was so nice to have my helmet fixed and be able to wear it again. Simply cant praise Mike and Scorpion enough. Thanks Mike.

Charlie

I have a "love/hate" thing going on with my scorpion exo 700 "Fury" model...which i purchased at the "helmetshop" in daytona about a year ago...as at first?..i found it awesome in every way...super comfy fitment...fantastic ventilation...and loaded with features that rivaled helmets 2-3 x's it's $199 selling price...and was so thrilled with it at first that i did a huge pictorial write up for my busa bretheren here....to take advantage of what i thoughtv was such a wonderful find...

EXO1.jpg

Cortech2.jpg

as a matter of fact?...i bought my EXO700 as a secondary "Beater Helmet"...and it soon became my #1 lid...however....about 9 months later?...the first thing that went was the black electrical tape like film that lays in the visor recesses......as it lifted...then twisted and knotted up around the visor hinge point mechanism...and i figured...no biggey...it was just there as window dressing to match the graphix when a clear visor was in use...and since it was damaged beyond repair i just carefully removed it.

But then the 2nd thing i noticed?...was this...scorpion claims their lids are wind tunnel designed and my exo700 seemed to shed the wind great...up to about 160mph...but after that?...by 170?...and upwards?...it felt like somebody parked a freaking truck on my forhead...and it took everything my neck had (and then some) to keep my head in place as my top speeds began becoming limited by my scorpion lid....i couldn't take 180mph for more than a few minutes...if that...and about 3 months ago?.....

The 3rd (and final) thing went wrong....

I was riding with a busa bud and a ZX14 bud...way out west...in no-mans-land...central florida swamps and cow fields...doing roll-ons and high speed runs against the ZX14...with my other busa bud running radar point...and at just a tick over 180?...i heard this loud crack inside my scorpion lid...i figured maybe it was a pebble that shot off the rear tire of the point running busa about 1/8th mile ahead of us...but?...the next morning?...as i went to grab my scorpion lid off the shelf and ride into work?...i noticed that my smoke visor was a tad scewed...and lifted on one side....and i was like...holy crap!...i never got it seated in the hingepoint properly..(remember...i was doing 180+ the day before)...so i pressed it inward and it snapped right back into place...but then?...when i removed my hand?...it snapped right back outta place...and i was like wtf
rock.gif

upon closer inspection?...the visor had cracked right at it's thinnest point on the backside of the hingepoint...and i can only summise that the "Loud Crack" i heard in my exo700 was the visor giving up the ghost while under severe 180+mph headwinds....not good.

Oh i still wear it to work and such...and it's still cool, comfy and stable at lower speeds but...make no mistake...imho and experience?...this $199 lid is NOT premium high speed head gear...and it's since been replaced with this....almost immediately afterwards...

shoei1.jpg

shoei2.jpg

shoei3.jpg

shoei4.jpg

with sorpion falling soundly into my "if somethings too good to be true" files.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

Bill, time will tell if it was the specific helmet having gremlins, or the lot of them. I've had mine beyond the 180 mark A LOT and have not experienced any of those issues... Except the bird thing and that was near those speeds, but only damage was the side panel and assembly, visor is fine with no cracks or issues. Wore it all day yesterday and found it to be the same comfort/quiet (comparitively)/ and well ventilated helmet I had experienced before the "fly by." It could be cranial shaping too, some helmets just feel like they are made for a different shape head.

I bought an EXO-400 Scorpion lid at $130.00 from Helmet Harbor as a secondary and passenger helmet. The helmet is great for no fogging, better than my Arai, but it is alittle noisy, well vented. I wouldn't want to use it for high speed runs above 160 mph, but for cooler mornings it's the best helmet I ever had as far as anti-fogging and is great for a secondary helmet for the price. I find myself wearing it on occaision.

(CAT3 @ Oct. 29 2006,03:10) Bill, time will tell if it was the specific helmet having gremlins, or the lot of them.  I've had mine beyond the 180 mark A LOT and have not experienced any of those issues...  Except the bird thing and that was near those speeds, but only damage was the side panel and assembly, visor is fine with no cracks or issues.  Wore it all day yesterday and found it to be the same comfort/quiet (comparitively)/ and well ventilated helmet I had experienced before the "fly by."  It could be cranial shaping too, some helmets just feel like they are made for a different shape head.
whatever...just sharing my experiences with mine and my final opinion that despite the scorpions many innovative features and low price point?....mine has proven itself to NOT be in the same class as shoei, arai or possibly even hjc.

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

IMHO I guess it's a user preference, if you're are happy with it use it..I have no problems with my scorpion. My buddy doesn't like his shoei....Then again ,,,its up to you

Back