helmet to helmet radios

OB_maui

Registered
I seem to remember vegas dude got one. What are your experiences with them, range, cost, clarity? Do you plug them into the bike? or do wear the whole system? Is it open mike, or like hand held radios, with a talk button?

[This message has been edited by maui (edited 21 January 2000).]

I got the collett radio device. It works pretty well. The only problem is if you go faster than 130 mph there is too much air drag and the pain in the neck is terrible. I pulled it off after my last trip. I would not go faster than 130 because my neck hurt so bad. I go over 130 everytime i get on the bike and im not taking the pain anymore...........other wise it works great Yor wear the whole systm, it has it's own power source and it is open mike. Hope this answers your questions.

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 21 January 2000).]

Maui, there is a product that is used in almost every santioned racing form, Indy to Nascar. This unit has a sensor to adjust for ambient noise. The unit allows for a voice activated intercom bike to bike, rider to passenger. All while supporting a radar detector, cell phone, or a music source.

Autocom, is the product. the unit mounts in a tank bag or on the bike itself under the plastic. From the helmet there is only a single lead to connect, nothing on the side of the helmet as the other systems. Bike to bike is served through either a Kenwood (military grade) or Motorola 2 way radio with voice activation (no stupid buttons to push while talking).

According to Chris the Autocom importer most of his customers are people who have owned other systems and became unhappy with them.

There is only one downside, it is not cheap.

But then what good is a cheap radar detector, when you pay the judge. Point being some things cost more for a valid reason.

I use an Autocom with a Valentine and did not interview with a policeman in 99. Last summer five of my riding buddies collected speeding tickets when I was not riding with them.
Three of them are purchasing Valentine's and another is also opening the wallet for the Autocom unit as well.

Pay now or pay later and later again with insurance surcharges, fines, and loss of work!

...good call on the Collett radio device...I nearly went with that system w/o considering the rather obvious ayrodynamic disadvantage... .org strikes again!

Marshall there are two Autocom sites, the mfg site in the UK, here in the US the product is imported by Top Gear (Autocom, Belstaff, Arai, FM, Prexport, and several other lines) they are located in Singerlands, New York 518-449-8677.

They have ads in the curent US mags and you can find the WWW.???? there and a 800# as well. or do a web search with MetCrawler.com and you will find them.

"Autocom" or "Top Gear"

Turbo 1300 has experianced "Bike Phone" via Autocom, a conversation was held with him at 120mph. The only time transmission was week was when I rode in and out of the fringe of the Cellular Digital system area.

If you take advantage of the cellular companies "free weekends" air time promo's you will have a 2way system that is digital and has a cross country range (motorola two way radio is 5 miles). Do you own a cell phone? Then you already own half the system.

Autocom was just used at Willow Springs endurance races, they don't use a "chatterbox" in Nascar they use Autocom.

[This message has been edited by KawAbuser (edited 22 January 2000).]

KA

Please elaborate on the bike phone. How do you dial? Do you use your existing cell phone, or is it a total package from autocom?
It is cellular technology right? Is the radio portion cell, or ???

Kaw, what package are you using? There are several different one to choose from. The sound on yours is awesome. I couldn't hear your bike or anything. As soon as you tell me which system you are using mine and three others will be in the mail. X-treme which package do you want?

kawabuser,

Please elaborate regarding your mention of the "bike phone" via "autocom" aspect. You seemed to be hitting upon possibly the most cost effective approach seeing as most of us (if we have nothing else) keep a cell phone with us when riding our horses.

I have the free weekend plan for phone, but got lost on the connection part of your suggestion...............

Thanks much for the tip/s.

Collett Communicators (best Canadian bike to bike radios):

http://www.collett.mb.ca/

I have used the Collett for about 8 yrs now, they have a 3 year warranty, but just last summer they replaced my power wire and updated my mic to make it water/windproof free and fast!

also...

www.hjc-chatterbox.com
1-888-HJC-CBOX

Website is under construction right now, but you can call them and get a brochure or something...

Back