Helmet Questions

TNTom

Registered
I found either a really great deal on the helmet i wanted, or a too good to be true deal. Can you tell me what i should be looking for so I can send it back quickly if it's a scam.

I found a Bell RS1 Emblem NEW helmet on Ebay for half what I have found it everywhere else. ($156 vs $299-$399) After a lot of digging, I couldn't find any indicators that the seller was a fraud, or that it was anything different than the exact same helmet as elsewhere. So I bought it, then I read an article where a guy bought a laptop on ebay, and they sent him a picture of the laptop.:) The comments of course said he should have known cause the price was too good to be true, so now I'm a tad nervous.

So, what would make a helmet lose it's value? Discontinued or older graphics can hurt the value, but I don't care about that. I've read that once involved in a crash, they should be thrown away. I'm hoping a thorough inspection with the guts removed would reveal any compression of the padding, or cracks in the shell.
I've also seen a couple places that they should be replaced after X years in service. Do you do that? Are there any indicators that I could look for such as crumbling padding etc?

Here's links to the specifics if your interested:
Ebay
"Bell RS 1 Emblem White XLarge Motorcycle Helmet Sport Bike Full Face | eBay"

Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009EXMZDE/?tag=hayabusamazon-20

I'm getting this helmet specifically for additional crash protection, with the added bonus of higher visibility, better fit and can take it on a track, so I hope i didn't skimp at the last minute and lose anything.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on it:)
Thanks,
Tom

oh, forgot to mention the possibility of it being a knock-off replica, or stolen. Any thoughts on how to spot that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like they have a good return policy. Don't toss the tags/box and return it within 30 days if you don't think it's legit once you see it. Since 1974, all helmets must have the month and date of production stamped on it.

Helmet Care - Helmet Check

check that out for tips on caring for your helmet.

I wud NEVER buy a helmet off of Fleabay. ur life is dependent on it! u wanna save a couple hundred $$$$ and pray that the helmet has never been dropped or crashed and repainted. unlikely I agree but I wudnt bet my skull on a Fleabay sold helmet. who knows if its even a real Bell helmet vs a knock off? again, unlikely but I wudnt bet my life on it.

buy from Revzilla. at least u know ur not gettn beat and u know u can return it for free if it doest fit which often it doesn't.

I would personally spend the money. Get deals on parts and accessories, but I would be less concerned about a deal on a helmet. Clearly, you don't want to be taken, but do research and then work with a local guy. Revzilla is great- I have purchased a good deal of my stuff from them. Probably there are vendors and supporters of this site that would give you a good deal as well.

Before I started riding, and my wife was terrified of it (now rides with me), she said she wanted me to buy a $4,000 helmet.

You won't care until you need it, and at that moment you won't be thinking about the great deal you got for it. Having said that, I think you will really get what you pay for.

Why ruin your enjoyment of a ride because you aren't sure you trust the helmet? There ways to damage a helmet where nothing can identify the damage. Peace of mind is worth $200 isn't it?

The guy has some negative ratings claiming open items and defective goods. Did you check if it is covered by ebay money back guarantee? I don't trust all sellers but I do trust ebay. I have had disputes with ebay members and ebay has taken care of me in the past.

Well, I've received the helmet and given it a thorough inspection and taken it for a 30 mile ride. This bike has definitely changed how seriously I take my gear:)

First off, It's a legitimate Bell RS1 in new condition with box, bag, tags and doesn't look like it's been a floor model or handled. It's manufacture date is 5/2013 so it's already almost 2 years old. So I think I did okay with ebay. I do think a local store and then Revzilla or a retailer that is maintaining a quality reputation is the safer way to go.

I am extremely glad I went with the cheap option at this point because I'm not too happy with the helmet. I am hoping it breaks in or grows on me. I wouldn't have known the problem that without riding in it first, which eliminates every return policy I've encountered. So I think more than any return policy can help, it's just going to take several iterations of buying gear and using it to get it right.

About the RS1, It has a non-removable neck roll solidly fixed to the shell that makes installing any externally mounted bluetooth communicator unwelcome. That wasn't a deal breaker, and I did get mine installed, though I'll have to deal with the wires every time i put it on or set it down. It'll have to come off for track use anyway, so I started thinking it would be my track helmet... then I rode in it.

The real downside to the RS1 for me is the positioning of the helmet. If any track riders read this, please comment on if this is just something you have to deal with in most helmets. In the full tuck, which is fairly uncommon for me, but very likely if I do a track day, the helmet blocks my view almost dangerously. It's like a big oval shade being pulled down in the center top of my view. I've considered the size possibility, but nothing I can do about it now. Also, the back of the helmet is right at the back of my jacket at that point so it seems like it's just by design, unless I could move my head further down inside the helmet. A smaller helmet might accomplish that, but another question... Is the chin curtain supposed to go under my chin, cause when i position it like that, the brow of the helmet is almost on my eyebrows. Which would indicate it's perhaps too small. So when i position the helmet comfortably and with good view (above full tuck) the chin curtain hits the center of my chin.

Anyway, Next helmet I buy will be tried on and preferably worn while I sit on my bike in the tuck as well as upright to see how it sits. Live and learn:)

Thanks!

Personally, I would not put a price on protecting my noggin. I'm too good looking to hurt the money-maker ;) but seriously, I'd rather pay out the demonhole for a good helmet in the event I have to use it.

Jose Jiminez said, Is that a crash helmet? "Gee I hope not."
Noone wants to crash, but if it happens, I dont want to be hoping the bargin helmet I bought wasnt dropped, kicked, crashed, knocked, used, or phoney.

I'd spend the extra coin for a reputable helmet from a reputable distributor.

-D

I would personally spend the money. Get deals on parts and accessories, but I would be less concerned about a deal on a helmet. Clearly, you don't want to be taken, but do research and then work with a local guy. Revzilla is great- I have purchased a good deal of my stuff from them. Probably there are vendors and supporters of this site that would give you a good deal as well.

Before I started riding, and my wife was terrified of it (now rides with me), she said she wanted me to buy a $4,000 helmet.

You won't care until you need it, and at that moment you won't be thinking about the great deal you got for it. Having said that, I think you will really get what you pay for.

+1
Revzilla is one of the, if not the best, place to buy gear.
If it doesn't fit, or you don't like it, send it back or exchange it, hassle free.

+1
Revzilla is one of the, if not the best, place to buy gear.
If it doesn't fit, or you don't like it, send it back or exchange it, hassle free.

Ya, I like Revzilla. I just got my track suit and boots from them. They only had size XS in that helmet is how I got searching elsewhere in the first place:)

I do think I ended up lucky and got a new helmet at a clearance price. The experience has taught me that I need to go to greater lengths to check it out before riding in it though. I would have been stuck with it if I had bought from Revzilla as well. As soon as my track suit and boots arrive, there'll be quite a show going on in my living room as I attempt to put them thru the motions. I'll have to make sure the curtains are closed so my neighbors don't call me an ambulance, or worse yet, have their smartphone camera handy:)

The helmet is actually growing on me. I got a skullcap that helps with the position, removed the chin guard and have ridden in it some more. I went to a track on sunday and looked at some of the gear the riders were wearing as well as checking out some videos, and it looks to me like it's just hard to see straight ahead in a full tuck regardless of which model helmet you have on.

looks to me like it's just hard to see straight ahead in a full tuck regardless of which model helmet you have on.

I think the same thing - have to really bend your head upward. Would like to find a helmet made that was cut higher up on the forehead.
Not sure if there is a safety concern and that is why I have never seen or heard about any that make it easier to see out of in a full tuck.

Back