Helmet Noise Levels

texomawaves

Registered
Hi guys, newbie here again. I searched and found a lot of helmet threads, but unable to sift through so much info to find what I'm looking for. Please forgive me if this is an old topic.

Question: Are there methods of reducing helmet wind noise to a noticeable level... other than spending lots of money on a high end helmet?

Thanks, Chris

Even high dollar lids can make noise. Some people use ear plugs when they ride.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said.

Don't forget the most important thing is to find a helmet that fits your head and gives you good field of vision, etc. Then you can figure out what you want to do to make it as quiet as possible. Some people use earplugs, others listen to music with noise cancelling headphones, etc. As always, the search function is your friend as are customer reviews on sites that sell helmets. If your not sure about fit or size make sure you go to your local shop and try some on unless you're familiar with the return policy of an on line shop.

:welcome: to the org!! Other than plugs I haven't heard of anything. I've found plugs on revzilla that claim to lower wind noise to a safe level while keeping the ability to hear music and someone speaking. Will get some soon and post the results.

You must wear earplugs when riding.

Wind noise even at 65 mph can approach 105 dB. That means real permanent hearing damage within 30 minutes.

No helmet, no matter how well designed can help with that.

I wear 33dB reduction earplugs. It doesn't remove sound, it just turns down the volume.

I've never worn earplugs and never will. their the most uncomfortable things I can think of. not all helmets are noisy. usually ur race only helmets are noisier cause of the weight but there r plenty of street helmets that aren't noisy

lol ive been riding motorcycles for 30 years. 2 stroke CR250 for 7 years and I had to get my hearing checked last year for a physical and I still hear as well as I did when I came on the job where I work 19 years ago where I had to get a hearing test so I say its all BS!

You will find ZERO studies that show riding motorcycles without earplugs is safe for your hearing.

Motorcyclists are at special risk for perminent hearing loss if they don't test and protect their hearing.

ISVR Consulting - Noise and motorcycle helmets

I use these ear plugs, box of 200 is $22. you can reuse them as much as you'd like. Ride al day, suffer no hearing damage.

Amazon.com: Howard Leight MAX1 Earplugs Uncorded NRR33 Box/200 Count: Home Improvement

Its neat you claim to have magic hearing that can't be damaged; but there is a huge difference between your choice to put your hearing at risk, and you actively recommending to others that they also put theirs at risk.

Noise-Induced Hearing Loss

Exposure to harmful noise can happen at any age. People of all ages, including children, teens, young adults, and older people, can develop NIHL. Approximately 15 percent of Americans between the ages of 20 and 69—or 26 million Americans—have hearing loss that may have been caused by exposure to noise at work or in leisure activities. As many as 16 percent of teens (ages 12 to 19) have reported some hearing loss that could have been caused by loud noise, according to a 2010 report based on a survey from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Sound is measured in units called decibels. Sounds of less than 75 decibels, even after long exposure, are unlikely to cause hearing loss. However, long or repeated exposure to sounds at or above 85 decibels can cause hearing loss. The louder the sound, the shorter the amount of time it takes for Noise-Induced Hearing Loss to happen.

How can noise damage our hearing?

To understand how loud noises can damage our hearing, we have to understand how we hear. Hearing depends on a series of events that change sound waves in the air into electrical signals. Our auditory nerve then carries these signals to the brain through a complex series of steps.

Sound waves enter the outer ear and travel through a narrow passageway called the ear canal, which leads to the eardrum.

The eardrum vibrates from the incoming sound waves and sends these vibrations to three tiny bones in the middle ear. These bones are called the malleus, incus, and stapes.

The bones in the middle ear couple the sound vibrations from the air to fluid vibrations in the cochlea of the inner ear, which is shaped like a snail and filled with fluid. An elastic partition runs from the beginning to the end of the cochlea, splitting it into an upper and lower part.

This partition is called the basilar membrane because it serves as the base, or ground floor, on which key hearing structures sit.

Once the vibrations cause the fluid inside the cochlea to ripple, a traveling wave forms along the basilar membrane. Hair cells—sensory cells sitting on top of the basilar membrane—ride the wave.

As the hair cells move up and down, microscopic hair-like projections (known as stereocilia) that perch on top of the hair cells bump against an overlying structure and bend. Bending causes pore-like channels, which are at the tips of the stereocilia, to open up. When that happens, chemicals rush into the cell, creating an electrical signal.

The auditory nerve carries this electrical signal to the brain, which translates it into a sound that we recognize and understand.

Most Noise-Induced Hearing Loss is caused by the damage and eventual death of these hair cells. Unlike bird and amphibian hair cells, human hair cells don’t grow back. They are gone for good.

I've never worn earplugs and never will. their the most uncomfortable things I can think of. not all helmets are noisy. usually ur race only helmets are noisier cause of the weight but there r plenty of street helmets that aren't noisy

You are so funny. :laugh: You have never worn them - so how do you know they are the most uncomfortable things you can think of? ???

Obviously you haven't tried to many - so there is a good chance that some would feel OK.
Then again maybe your ears are so tender you can't handle them.
You are lucky that you never worked somewhere where they were mandatory as a condition of employment.

I'm glad that you have bulletproof hearing. Everyone should be so lucky. Unfortunately many are easily damaged by comparison.

I have hearing damage from motorcycle noise. Oddly it is not the engine noise that gets you its the wind whistling. I have whats called the the motorcycle curve - hearing drops off in the upper frequencies. I'm still totally functional but I have trouble hearing conversations and in a crowd. I now wear noise canceling ear buds.

There are helmets that are quieter than others. I played around with putting seals around the visor but could not get something that lasted more than a ride. However if you tape around the visor my Shoei is 10 times quieter. Obviously it would be a PITA to ride this way, but i just wondered.

I wear a very quiet helme,t Schuberth C3 Pro, and ear plugs. The ear plugs make the biggest difference.

Listen to mysql, he is a "Professional Pilot" (from his avatar). Don't listen to GNBRETT, he is a "Hayabusa Immortal" and nothing affects him.

Seriously though, this is one of those topics where there are no ifs, buts, or other variations. EAR PLUGS ALL THE TIME! Period. If you have other means, like music ear buds which reduce noise to effect of ear plugs, that's fine, too.

It's not only the hearing loss. Excessive noise makes you unable to focus 100% on the task of riding. Not to mention the ringing in your ears after riding. Bad, bad, bad - any way you look at it. And if you reach triple digits (on a racetrack, of course), the noise would be deafening.

a lot of good info already stated so take it to heart. Ear plugs are a must or your gonna regret it later in life. And from what I have seen, the more air flow in the helmet the more noise. Case in point. I had an Arai xr7 corsair. An $800 helmet and I will tell you that as far as helmets go it was like wearing an airconditioning system on your head. I have never had a helmet have that kind of ari flow. It was amazing. But it was also the loudest I ever wore. Now I have a Shoe x12. Another $800 helmet. The noise level is much less but so is the air flow I am sorry to say. But either way EAR PLUGS!... and welcome and post up some pics

cause I tried them one day and they suck! IDN maybe its the way my ears are formed cause I can't fit any of the music ear buds in there either without it hurting 5 minutes later. IDN maybe I do hav bullet proof hearing lol. I also have 15/15 eye sight lol

You are so funny. :laugh: You have never worn them - so how do you know they are the most uncomfortable things you can think of? ???

Obviously you haven't tried to many - so there is a good chance that some would feel OK.
Then again maybe your ears are so tender you can't handle them.
You are lucky that you never worked somewhere where they were mandatory as a condition of employment.

I'm glad that you have bulletproof hearing. Everyone should be so lucky. Unfortunately many are easily damaged by comparison.

lol yea I'm sure they help some ppl but I don't wear them and none of my buddies I ride with wear em either. I guess I don't like the fact that I can't hear as well either although I'm sure I can but in my mind I don't feel that I'm as alert when somthn is in my ear while riding. I guess thats just me.

and I can't hear my SENA with them in either. Ive had competition stereo systems in my cars for decades and play it loud and I still hear fine. I'm 43 now. maybe wen I'm 63 I won't hear as well. but by then I'm sure there will be hearing aids the size of BB's so if thats the case ill have to get a set....:laugh:

Listen to mysql, he is a "Professional Pilot" (from his avatar). Don't listen to GNBRETT, he is a "Hayabusa Immortal" and nothing affects him.

Seriously though, this is one of those topics where there are no ifs, buts, or other variations. EAR PLUGS ALL THE TIME! Period. If you have other means, like music ear buds which reduce noise to effect of ear plugs, that's fine, too.

It's not only the hearing loss. Excessive noise makes you unable to focus 100% on the task of riding. Not to mention the ringing in your ears after riding. Bad, bad, bad - any way you look at it. And if you reach triple digits (on a racetrack, of course), the noise would be deafening.

Between working in the car audio, and the bike over the years, all i got,, is,,

What did you say??

Funny but even with the music blasting I can hear emergency vehicles very well. I don't think those frequencies by the ear buds or something.

Dont think any helmet regardless of cost on the market is quite enough for me I wear ear plugs all the time when I am riding and find them very comfortable in fact I wont ride without them :thumbsup:

Back