helmet, jacket, glove and key rack

rickneuhaus

Registered
Not exactly sure where to throw this thread...

Just something I've been making and thought i'd share.

3 foot board, sanded, free hand cut plastic, painted, thompson's water sealer, felted the top and bottom edges where the helmet and jacket touch to reduce any wear.

bent a garage bike hanger out about 2 inches to fit the lip of my helmet, and got a cheap 2$ walmart door hanger.
8-12$ since I just took the wood from a nearby construction site trash bin.

If you don't want to hang your gloves in your helmet when the visor is open (mine are often wet when I arrive home) just carve out a circular length on each side of the board so that you can fit a dowel inside. grab a 45 degree single screw hinge and you've now got wooden dowels that can be sanded down to fit the boards rectangular dimensions and pop out like wings to place your gloves over.

Next addition was taking the red circle around the kanji, cutting out the circle, carving out a little box in the top position of the circle so that my keys would fit inside. Next I took 3 small dowels and mounted them inside the center of the missing circle. Taking measurements, from the back side of the circle i cut a straight notch so the 3 dowels slide in at a 45 degree angle (to the left, aka, lefty loosey righty tighty) and then cut a groove along the outer edge of the circle so that the circle will rotate around the dowels in the wooden rectangle. sand everything to a smooth fit and you're set. I took it a step further and wanted the circle to "snap and lock" into position so on the cut out circle, at 3/4th the dowels diameter, I embedded a bearing (you can pick a few of these from any local bike shop for free if you ask nicely).

I got a few extras if anyone is interested since this forum is so wonderful at paying it forward :-)

~Peace

helmet and jacket rack.jpg

Back