Helmet Expiration Date?

Rhythms

Registered
Hey Everyone,

I just bought a new ("new") Shoei RF1000 from my local Suzuki dealer (yes, I do my best to support them). After reading about the warranty (which is 5 years from sale or 7 years from date of manufacture), I noticed that my helmet was made in June of 2004. This means that they just sold me a six-year-old helmet. Given that the manufacturer only offers a warranty up to the seventh year, should I be concerned about this?

If the helmet is actually new and been stored properly it should be fine. If you plan on ever running at an organized competition, class, or event, some have age limits on helmets.

I’m going to a motorcycle lapping day this weekend. Their rules” DOT approved helmet that is less than 5 years old and has not been crashed”.

I've never had anyone doing a tech inspection for a track day look at the date on the helmet. The shelf lifeof a helmet is 5 years because the resins in the shell degrade over time from exposure to UV light, air, and pollutants. If its stored properly it will be good longer.

Last edited:
If I'm not mistaken,,the same(expiration date) rules apply for your standard hardhat,, should you wear one,that is,, :whistle:

ECTA (Maxton) now goes by the snell date which is issued every 5 years. A 2004 manufactured helmet would probably have a 2000 snell date which would expire at the end of this year.

As far as the quality and reliability of the helmet, I don't think you would have anything to worry about like Professor said as long as it has been stored properly.

I would definitely take it back and get a newer one. Like everything in this world, it's deteriorating no matter whether you're wearing it or its sitting on a shelf. And for that kind of money... I would return it ASAP! That's 6 years older of material, and technology that was used for it.

I would definitely take it back and get a newer one. Like everything in this world, it's deteriorating no matter whether you're wearing it or its sitting on a shelf. And for that kind of money... I would return it ASAP! That's 6 years older of material, and technology that was used for it.

Also depends on what was paid for it and the expectations set forth at purchase...they should have at least told you it was an older model helmet.

I purchased a "new" Shoei helmet a few years ago that was a model from two years earlier. I understood it was an older model and he got me 3 of them out of the back. We ended up purchasing 3 of those helmets for $100 each, about $350-$380 off the MSRP price.

If they sold them as "new" and didn't mark down to compensate, yeah I'd probably be a bit upset also...guess that'd be worth a conversation with the shop. I trusted my helmet (eventually used mine for a racing helmet) with no issued~!~

I dunno about the resins in the shell, but the EPS liner does degrade over time. That's the part that actually does the impact absorption. As it gets older, it hardens. This is exacerbated by being exposed to volatiles like gasoline fumes and paint fumes, both of which are common in a motorcycle showroom (though not at the high levels they are in your garage; don't keep your helmets in the garage). I try to replace my helmet at least every 5 years. I check the EPS liner from time to time and compare it to how it was when new, and if I ever notice it getting tough, I will replace it even if it hasn't been 5 years yet. If it were me in your situation, I'd take the helmet back, unworn, and tell them you want a more recent one.

Take it back,and ask for some discount or another Helmut OR your money back!
Just my .02 cents.

Back