Helmet Communications - Chatterbox, other?

zukracer

I'm somewhere but dont know where
Donating Member
Registered
I have been looking around to add a helmet communication system. Since I almost never ride 2 up, driver to passenger is less important to me but I would like the ability should I want it. Of key concern, mp3/ipod integration/control; phone integration for making/getting calls; ideally wireless to the helmet; bike to bike/car communication; easy to use; ideally long lasting or can charge a spare on the bike. If I could also integrate my radar detector's beeping that would rock too :cool: If there's something I haven't listed but you think I should consider for a feature, please chime in :thumbsup:

I've seen that the new Chatterbox X1 Slim is out, seems like a nice unit but I've only found mixed reviews. I do like its size but not sure that it "ticks all the boxes" above. I know a bunch of folks here have a variety and did some reading of older posts but figured a new one might be good given the recent updates on some technology coming to the market over the past 6-12months :thumbsup:

And so with that, I turn to you all for some sage wisdom and advice :bowdown:

If I could afford it, I would by the Autocom. I have had so many com systems I could have purchased a very nice autocom setup. Sure other systems will work, but if you want true integration and sound quality, get the autocom. Unless there is something new I havent seen yet........

If I could afford it, I would by the Autocom. I have had so many com systems I could have purchased a very nice autocom setup. Sure other systems will work, but if you want true integration and sound quality, get the autocom. Unless there is something new I havent seen yet........

I did read some on those on here but alas, I was not one of the winning lotto ticket holders :banghead:

If there are some compelling reasons to go with them I can save up, heck I've been using headphones and a player for all these years a few months of savings won't really kill me :laugh:

I've heard nothing but praise of the Sema units..

Me personally I'm holding out for a Scala G4.

I'm not that impressed with the Chatterbox units...

I have a pair of Scala Rider Q2s that work ok for rider to passenger chatter, but they lack stereo A2DP bluetooth capability for streaming music and other audio sources over bluetooth (that audio input cable gets really annoying sometimes). What I really want is the Sena SMH10.

I got the Q2s just because I found them at a huge clearance discount at the local shop when I was in picking up an oil filter right before we headed down to the Gap last spring. They work pretty well now that I cut the helmet speakers off the system and soldered in a stereo plug so I could use my earbuds. The speakers absolutely suck.

Karen and I have the scala q4's and they work pretty good for rider to rider and bluetooth applications.

I bought a set of Scala Rider G4 unit that my brother and I use. They work great for streaming Pandora radio or Iheart Radio and making and receiving phone calls. There ok for communications between two bikes, can add more bikes with Scala Rider head sets. I have no idea about radar detector.

I had a Chatterbox for about a month, it was a POS. I now have Starcom Advance that I use with my passenger only, so bike to bike is not a concern. I am going to get a set of Sena SMH10D soon to go wireless.

Baught a few chatterboxes last summer so use with my friends while riding. They were crap over 40mph..... Autcom now. I wish I would of done this the first time and saved myself a few hundred bucks.

you can waste a lot of $$ like I did or buy Autocom. Lesson learned.

you can waste a lot of $$ like I did or buy Autocom. Lesson learned.

Couldn't have said it better... by the time you play with all the other stuff that's out there, claiming to do half the stuff the Autocom will do, you could have had the perfect system from the get-go. Fortunately, I did a lot of research here before I spent as much money as some folks did. My comm stuff is in a tank bag too so I just swap it from bike to bike. Autocom also allows for ear-buds VS speakers, not many other options have that capability.

How come it seems like such a secret what people are paying for this perfect autocomm system?

Someone give us some real numbers as to how much this costs. :please:

How come it seems like such a secret what people are paying for this perfect autocomm system?

Because it depends on what you want the system to do - it has a lot of options and not everyone wants the same thing while they're riding. It's also versatile so if you change your priorities, the system can be adapted without buying a whole new system. It also depends on who is going to install it - obviously it will cost less if you do the work yourself and just buy the components you need.

For example - my riding preference is (in this order) music/mp3, comm w/other riders, GPS, Radar Det, cell phone. I also wanted ear buds, not speakers. I don't have the time or the skill to install this stuff so I contacted Kieth in Tulsa to set me up and do all the work. He completely wired the white bike including the PTT, set up the tank bag with all the wiring and components inside, provided the connections and/or extensions for a passenger, set up 3 helmets - 2 with ear buds, 1 with speakers and provided the wiring I would need if I decide to make the GPS my primary output with the cell bluetooth'd to it and a memory card for my tunes. He did ALL the work, did an excellent job and the system works exactly as I requested.

My cost : approx $1500.00. That may seem like a lot but after pricing other stuff that can't come close to what this system is capable of, you won't hear me complain. But as I said, there are many options with the Autocom so your cost may vary.

You are looking at about 450 to 500 depending on the level of integration you want. You can connect your phone via bluetooth, GPS, etc. Push to talk you have a couple options, Keith can wire you a cable to connect to your flash to pass or you can have the red PTT button. This prices does not include the radio and you will need to know what radio you want to use before you purchase the system so you get the right cable. Keith does not sell the radio, but can put you in touch with a guy that can get you nice kenwood for about 100.00.

Back