Helmet care

unkleslapnutz

Donating Member
Registered
Again I turn to the board for some info. Alot of people pay out good money for some high dollar lids...So what does everyone use to protect them? Clean them? Clean the shield and what do you )if you do) carry with you on rides to clean the face shield? What should I used to clean that expensive shield on my Suomy? Do you do anything after a ride besides clean them?

On the shield,I use a clean, damp, cotton,lint free cloth and for the inside,I wash the removable liner if it has one with cold water and tide,as for the rest of the inside of the helmet,I mix cold water and tide in the bath tub and wash it pretty thoroughly,then stick it front of a electric fan on high to dry,then re-assemble.For the outside,a good coat of carnuba wax keeps the shine and makes bug and dirt removable a cinch! Keeps all my lids fresh and clean.

On the shield,I use a clean, damp, cotton,lint free cloth and for the inside,I wash the removable liner if it has one with cold water and tide,as for the rest of the inside of the helmet,I mix cold water and tide in the bath tub and wash it pretty thoroughly,then stick it front of a electric fan on high to dry,then re-assemble.For the outside,a good coat of carnuba wax keeps the shine and makes bug and dirt removable a cinch! Keeps all my lids fresh and clean.
+1 here. (but I need to increase my post count)

The exterior is easier to de-bug when it has some good wax on it and the bug guts aren't too old. I clean mine when I clean the Busa. Pretty much every ride.

I see NJ is expanding his rapid response posting utility feature from the classifieds to other threads as well!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

Damp rag to de-bug, and about every 4-8 weeks in hot weather I mix up a bucket of laundry soap, submerge the helmet and agitate about 5 minutes, thoroughly rinse and hang over a fan all day. My liner is fixed (Icon Skull), or I'm too ignorant to figure out removal. I read somewhere your sweat can degrade the foam if you don't clean it, not to mention the funk...:p

+1 here. (but I need to increase my post count)

The exterior is easier to de-bug when it has some good wax on it and the bug guts aren't too old. I clean mine when I clean the Busa. Pretty much every ride.

I see NJ is expanding his rapid response posting utility feature from the classifieds to other threads as well!
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif
AAAssjani.gif
muscle.gif
type.gif

NJ you're gonna have to hire someone full time just to clean ALL tthose lids you have
biggrin.gif

Back