Helmet Care & Feeding

bronc3

Registered
What methods work for cleaning the inside of helmet with non-removeable liners?Until now I really hadn't worn a helmet much,but the Busa encourages me to do so more often.Needless to say,here in Fla the liner is exposed to a fair amount of persperation.Wondering how others have cleaned theirs without damaging the liner.This ain't a job for Febreeze.

Bh3.jpg

It looks like a fake... :super:

<!--EDIT|BulletTrain
Reason for Edit: None given...|1067258673 -->

I assure you the pic's not fake.The Nuns however,are a different story.That's yours truly standing behind the short one with a beer in her hand.I am the guy wearing the goofy doo rag,also sporting a cervesa.My wife took the pic at Biketoberfest at the Boothill Saloon.Any sugs on cleaning a helmet?

I'm serious here-Any suggestions as to what type of detergent to clean a helmet liner?Just regular laundry soap?I don't want to screw the helmet liner up..........

Warm water with a splash of Pinsol, applied with a clean (wrung out) wash cloth. When satisified with the cleaning phase, wick away most of the moisture with another clean and dry cloth. Then let it air out with in the sunshine or with a fan blowing on it (since we can't wait too long to ride again).
:cool:

Thanks!Ive never really had a helmet worth cleaning before and never really worn one enough to require it-Til now.

you can submerge the whole helmet in a tub of soapy water .Laundry detergent works fine .Rinse the same way using clear water . Allow a day and a half to dry.
Ive been doing it this way for years and it wont hurt a thing.

you can submerge the whole helmet in a tub of soapy water .Laundry detergent works fine .Rinse the same way using clear water . Allow a day and a half to dry.
hmmm what brand lids have you done this on? figure the adhesives must be waterproof and this sounds reasonable... anyone else done this?

For the bits of my helmet that are not removable I use a rag moistened with water and small amount of dish soap and I wet the liner and foam underneath it. Then I use a smallest brush attachment on a shop vac and I remove most of the water.
Maybe you can now justify buying a helmet with a removable liner!
laugh.gif

cheers
ken

One of my favorite helmets is my ICON without a removable liner. It's starting to get a little out-of-hand and a little ratty. I have NO idea how to clean it. I've started to wear Scorpions, only because I find them super comfortable and the liner snips out in about 2 seconds. Anyways, sorry---I don't know what to do either!!!

hmmm what brand lids have you done this on?  figure the adhesives must be waterproof and this sounds reasonable... anyone else done this?
Ive washed my rf 1000s ,Quantum 2 and hjc AC10 this way Not one problem .. It also gets the bugs out of air vents .
Dont be afraid.

This stuff works really well:

ridegear.com

--Wag--

Well I used water and some laundry soap... washed, rinsed and hung it over my helmet dryer (top of lamp shade) shiny new inside again...

used soap once on my shoei, gave me a rash, bought a can of "helmet fresh" don't have a pic of the can. picked it up @ the honda shop. worked great. spray on... let sit ... wipe out with a clean, damp rag. made it a point to get my new helmet w/ removeable liner. started wearing a do-rag too to help soak up the sweat. the bright side of having a funky lid is it keeps people from wanting to try it on! man that bugs the he!! outta me... why on earth do people want to do that? what's the attraction? and when I tell them NO, they look at me like I'm the a$$hat. sorry, got off the subject. good luck

Back