Hello fellow newbie on a Busa from New York

James417

Registered
Hello I’m fairly new to the liter bike scene. Been riding for about 4 years now on an older gsx750. Recently found a deal on a lower mileage 1999 hayabusa about 15k miles. She had the typical cheap mods and still has a few on her. Led lights, big cushioned grips that made the throttle stick all gone now. But still has the straight pipes off factory header and small extension on swing arm, with road Rashed Chinese plastics all of which I can live with for now. But be that as it may I took it in all it’s glory for 2500 bucks. I know could have saved more got something much nicer but I’m falling for it. It’s machinally sound and It’s a great fitting bike being I’m a large guy (around 260 pounds) and use to weigh a lot more, so it fits me well. With the tons of low end torque and that big bike feel it’s a great ride. With that said I have never been more motivated to be in shape wight loss is my biggest mod for this bike right now lmao. Lost 50 lbs last 6 months or so lol. But anyways I’ll get a pic attactched of her. I do have some machanical questions in mind about these gen 1s which I’ll save for another topic. Looks like a cool forum here can’t wait to see who can meet or learn from!

B363588A-DC54-4151-94C2-A10154D88B67.jpeg

Hello I’m fairly new to the liter bike scene. Been riding for about 4 years now on an older gsx750. Recently found a deal on a lower mileage 1999 hayabusa about 15k miles. She had the typical cheap mods and still has a few on her. Led lights, big cushioned grips that made the throttle stick all gone now. But still has the straight pipes off factory header and small extension on swing arm, with road Rashed Chinese plastics all of which I can live with for now. But be that as it may I took it in all it’s glory for 2500 bucks. I know could have saved more got something much nicer but I’m falling for it. It’s machinally sound and It’s a great fitting bike being I’m a large guy (around 260 pounds) and use to weigh a lot more, so it fits me well. With the tons of low end torque and that big bike feel it’s a great ride. With that said I have never been more motivated to be in shape wight loss is my biggest mod for this bike right now lmao. Lost 50 lbs last 6 months or so lol. But anyways I’ll get a pic attactched of her. I do have some machanical questions in mind about these gen 1s which I’ll save for another topic. Looks like a cool forum here can’t wait to see who can meet or learn from!

View attachment 1616290
Welcome to the madness that is the org... plenty of helpful people just be cautious of our local titanium pusher man @c10 he'll have your wallet running away :poke: :lol:. Nice looking gen 1 lots of help around here for any mods your looking to do.

Awesome! Thanks for the welcome, I’ll, definitely be scrounging the forums a lot. Looking at some minor upgrades like exhuast intake. I know having straight pipes off the stock header isn’t doing nothing but blowing my ears out lol it’s a very comfortable ride for how much power it has. Never felt that kind of acceleration in my life before so stock still more than enough ......for now lmao

Welcome ! Glad it liking the bike they do have plenty of low end . It's the first bike I didnt feel the need to downshift often

Unfortionately no all the original parts where long gone from previous owner. I honestly kind of want to try some cans on it to see the difference in power. I know mine and other people’s ears would thank me at least lol. I’m thinking of scouring the forums for info on the 16 to 32 bit ecu swap. Would love to tune it with intake and exhaust upgrades in the future. Thanks for the nice welcomes! Oh and the original color is a grey/black Tank still looks fairly good under the cover thinking of going back to oem colors.

Welcome, good job on introducing you and your bike...

You are in the right forum for learning all about your bike.

Unfortionately no all the original parts where long gone from previous owner. I honestly kind of want to try some cans on it to see the difference in power. I know mine and other people’s ears would thank me at least lol. I’m thinking of scouring the forums for info on the 16 to 32 bit ecu swap. Would love to tune it with intake and exhaust upgrades in the future. Thanks for the nice welcomes! Oh and the original color is a grey/black Tank still looks fairly good under the cover thinking of going back to oem colors.
Our German friend here @Berlin Germany has all the info you need re switching over from 16 bit to 32 bit.
It entails fitting a 32 bit ('02 - '07) (stator) rotor set up and a later ECU with a couple of wires in the ECU connector plug switched positions
It would be very cool if you could put it all back to original, would be near impossible to find OEM '99 fairings, but painting the OEM colors on aftermarket fairings would look great too!

Thanks everyone, I’m actually in Hyde Park NY. And speaking of oem fairings I called my local Suzuki dealer surprisingly they said Suzuki can get me painted fairings from Suzuki about 1500 for set. Expensive compared to repainting the cheap Chinese plastics but nothing like the quality of a good oem set. Good info on the ecu swap much appreciated! Btw anyone have issues of loading up on fuel for split second when getting back on throttle in medium rpm range? Around 5k-8k rpms downshifting and engine braking if I slightly open the throttle to start acceleration it throws some decent flames. Thinking it maybe tps issue adding to much fuel under very light throttle? I can post pic of the flames everyone I ride with goes on about how crazy it is but kinda weird never had a bike do that. Maybe I’m just not used to the Busa and it’s madness yet :laugh:

@James417

good morning big apple :-) ( 07:13 am here - grin and i felt off my bed)

15K miles? pretty nice
then the first major inspection is now due - lool -
ok joke off
and
seriousness on
have a look at the (my) following schedule.

@ORBlackFZ1
"The service manual " - yes, the first source.
but mine (*.pdf) for the Gen1 would be - i guess - a bit ;-) better,
because Suzuki forgot - i guess - some (main) points. (...)
View attachment 1616237

go through it and
think about the technology first,
because technology is much more important than beauty / look

my recommendations written in blue are the result of 12 years of hayabusa maintenance.
and
if the previous owner was unable to provide any real maintenance information, assume that no maintenance has been done - this would be your job now.

I don't want to make the beautiful motorcycle bad for you,
but another motorcycle fairing (especially the very cheap one from china) would be reason enough for me to dismantle at least the side fairings and take a close look at the chassis /frame. scratches? bulges? this would indicate an accident.
better safe than sorry.
and if there is nothing to be found, you can be particularly happy about the good deal.

and look for the suzuki manual (as a book or as a *.pdf)
because nobody should turn a screw without a manual - especially if you don't know the busa yet.
without too many mistakes can creep in .

damn - completely forgotten in my list (sorry) - the shock absorbers in the rear wheel.
if the chain drum can be moved/turned a bit in the wheel,
the rubber blocks in the rim have shrunk and the haya jerks when driving with a constant throttle valve position / while constant driving at one speed.
the feeling will be as like as if you accelerate minimally and then immediately go off the gas again.

after ;) all those jobs you can change from 16 to 32 bit like me and lot others did.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I’m actually in Hyde Park NY. And speaking of oem fairings I called my local Suzuki dealer surprisingly they said Suzuki can get me painted fairings from Suzuki about 1500 for set. Expensive compared to repainting the cheap Chinese plastics but nothing like the quality of a good oem set. Good info on the ecu swap much appreciated! Btw anyone have issues of loading up on fuel for split second when getting back on throttle in medium rpm range? Around 5k-8k rpms downshifting and engine braking if I slightly open the throttle to start acceleration it throws some decent flames. Thinking it maybe tps issue adding to much fuel under very light throttle? I can post pic of the flames everyone I ride with goes on about how crazy it is but kinda weird never had a bike do that. Maybe I’m just not used to the Busa and it’s madness yet :laugh:
Well welcome James417. Great advise by Berlin on the manual & pulling the side fairings. Yes put slipon on the bike no muffler may be causing all of the fuel issues you stated. Suggest also checking the electronics under the seat for stock & have the ECU flashed by PowerHouse by mail or in person since they are in Long Island. A power commander 5 for the air fuel control. It is possible a piggy back fuel system is already installed on the bike & has been turned up dumping more fuel than is needed if prior owner was trying to adjust for no pipes or a shorty exhaust which it looks like what you may have. There are a few companies who make nice fitting plastic not as expensive as OEM but look in classified section many here have good sets for sale depending on what color tips your hat, & the same for pipes, full systems etc. simply due to upgrades or changes over the years. You don't have to pay top $ for quality items but look at the pictures, description & don't be afraid to ask questions first. Also quick search bar will be your best friend for any thing of interest it has all been talked about. Many good members/people on the Org. Captain & staff keep the site going to benefit all cause they Love it so a BIG nod to them.

Back