Hello and some advice if you could....

Joss

Registered
This is my first post, and all, so hello. And, I need some advise if you guys could spare some.

I am thinking about trading off my '02 Triumph TT600 and looking for something better supported. The TT is a sweet sports bike, but my dealer is 130 miles away. That means every problem requires a Saturday to haul it there, and another to pick it up. That pretty well shoots two Saturdays in the ass, everytime something goes wrong.

I'm 53 and my main interest is casual daytrip fast touring of back country roads. I do zero wheelies and stoppies. Even gave up pretending to be Nicky Hayden on the street, once I got a track bike. I do "some" racing. I've crashed twice (plenty to know I don't like it) so skip the obligatory "This is the baddest handgun in the world...." if it's ok.

I don't do too much 2-up riding, but the capability would be nice.... as would good aftermarket support. A local dealer and good dependability are mandatory. And I want more "sport" than the more dedicated tourers (Concourse, ST1300).

The Triumph Sprint ST looks great, but then I'm right back where I am now.

Till lunch, today, this meant a VFR... almost a commercial for one. On a wild hair I popped into the local Suz/Kaw shop and they have two new '03's Busas, and what looks like another new bronze colored one in the "used" section.

Now.... I'm looking at these bikes and just saying "NO WAY" to myself. I must have walked away and walked back three times. I've never even CONSIDERED a Busa... but, man, now I'm thinking the unthinkable.

What about the rest? I know you guys love them... but... tell me why I SHOULDN'T consider one.

Insurance is death on them... right? What else?

sounds like you are experienced, so no problem handling power, I hope!?!

with risers for the handlebars, a gel seat, a sport-touring windscreen, and your done! Not to mention it is the baddest bike on the planet...... not sure if that pleases you, but its there for ya anyway.

tons of aftermarket stuff, racing? no problem. cruising? yup.
looks? oh yea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Joss....welcome to the board dude.
Yeah the ins can be a bit high alright.
If yer scared of huge amounts of power....the Busa's not fer you.
If you don't like a really comfortable bike.....the Busa's not fer you.
If you don't like a really cool original looking bike......the Busa's
not fer you.
If you don't like people constantly saying......killer bike man......the Busa's not fer you.
If you don't like a bike the tours well......the Busa's not fer you.
If you don't like a bike that's reasonably comfortable 2-up......the Busa's not fer you.
If you don't like owning the biggest and baddest of em all.....the Busa's not fer you.

Hope the Busa is fer you Joss.
Have a great day dude!!!!!!

forgot, Welcome to the board!
biggrin.gif

Hmmm, 53, Clean Driving record?  Married?  Ins may not be that bad.

The Busa has faults like anything else.  BUT it's personality and ungodly power will forever ruin you for another ride.

I was looking at a VFR as well, I have allways loved the V-4 but I was afraid I would be bored...I bought the Busa because a buddy told me to quit being an old woman and go for it...Turns out to be some excellent advice.  Bar risers and a Double Bubble and do not look back...  Be ready for a lot of rear tire wear...a sorta less than ideal feel up front out of the brakes, and constant attention...some good, some with pretty flashing lights.  It's something you owe yourself it's like riding a movie star around sometimes...Kinda fun...

To help settle it, buy the Busa Now (while you can) if you end up wanting something different the Busa has good trade in and residuals so you can trade pretty simply at a dealer or whatever.  Give the Busa a shot, and freakin HOLD ON!!!!

Oh Damn I forgot...<span style='font-family:times'><span style='font-size:15pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:orangered'>WELCOME!</span></span></span>

I think that insurance costs depend a lot on where you live and what company you have. Some guys have complained of high rates, but I don't think that bike too expensive to insure.

It eats rear tires. Even if you don't horse around too much with it. I'm pushing 5000 miles on my stock tire and have another ordered already. It is pretty well toasted, so the new one goes on as soon as I get it.

There are so many aftermarket modifications that it can be hard to resist spending money on customization. Or maybe that's just me.

The fairings are held on by a fair number of bolts and some tricky fasteners. You get used to it, but removing the panels is a touch more involved than most sport bikes.

Personally, I don't think the paint is very durable. It scratches easily, especially when I compare it to my fiancee's Ducati Monster or my previous Honda VFR. That might be a problem mostly with the all black SE paint.

Obviously I love my bike, so I am having trouble coming up with gripes and these I have listed are pretty picky.

I think that insurance costs depend a lot on where you live and what company you have.  Some guys have complained of high rates, but I don't think that bike too expensive to insure.

It eats rear tires.  Even if you don't horse around too much with it.  I'm pushing 5000 miles on my stock tire and have another ordered already.  It is pretty well toasted, so the new one goes on as soon as I get it.

There are so many aftermarket modifications that it can be hard to resist spending money on customization.  Or maybe that's just me.

The fairings are held on by a fair number of bolts and some tricky fasteners.  You get used to it, but removing the panels is a touch more involved than most sport bikes.

Personally, I don't think the paint is very durable.  It scratches easily, especially when I compare it to my fiancee's Ducati Monster or my previous Honda VFR.  That might be a problem mostly with the all black SE paint.

Obviously I love my bike, so I am having trouble coming up with gripes and these I have listed are pretty picky.
Bro You are right on with this...I think it is just the Pure black Paint of the SE. Shows every little scratch and bit of dust.

I have been using them microfiber cloths and Honda Polish though with real good results. Just be super gentle....

Welcome to the pleasure dome Joss... In Xanadu did Kubla Khan and all of that.

To answer your question, I came from a Concours and find the bus as comfortable. My wife likes it more (if you can believe that).

I too checked a bunch of bikes out before getting the 'busa. I have had it since April and have 2,000 miles on her now...

Get a Hayabusa and you WILL be happy!

The only gripe would be the weight, but it is very nimble once moving. BUT since you are looking at a VFR(557 lbs wet) and a Sprint ST(547 wet) then the Busa(550 wet) doesn't seem all that heavy. Plus having the extra 60 horsepower is always a nice feeling. Order the windscreen and risers and forget about it. The fuel injection is not as smooth as I would like right off of idle but you get used to it.

Welcome to the board

Thanks for the welcome, and helpful replies.

As far as the insurance goes, yep: 53, married, one speeding ticket 5 years or so ago, in a car. And that's in about the last 20 years. It's USAA.

There is a small problem, though, with the '02 ZX-6R they had to "total" about 14 months ago.
oops.gif
No ticket. Just overcooked a corner and lost it. When I got the TT600, they seemed a little nervous and "...refered it to the underwriters..." My main worry is not so much the rates, but being told they won't even touch it.

The 2-up comfort would be nice. I hauled my wife around on the 6R a few times before I lost it and it was horrible. We both hated it. Everytime I stopped, she slid down onto the lower seat with me. Not really room there for her, me, AND big Jim and the twins. Typical sportbike situation. Plus, as soon as both of us were on it the coolant temp went up like crazy in traffic.

The tire wear doesn't bother me much, but it's nice to know about.

As far as the looks go, I've always though it was one of the best looking bikes in production.

I understand the comments about the power. Just having it doesn't mean using it. Still, how manageable is the power? Is it always lurking, ready to bite you? Or is it comfortably beneath surface but just there when you want it?

Its very manageable, just dont twist open the throttle like you would on your TT or you will need some new undies(search for the hump storage mod, good place to keep a spare set). It's like a big teddy bear below 6000 RPM but above that you better have it pointed straight and a clear road in front because it really inhales asphalt like nothing else. Took a little getting used to the warp speed it has.

Oh yeah Underwriting...Tell you what My bro is 27, has destroyed one CBR 600F4, a Toyota Tundra TRD 4X4, Wrecked another F4 and is still carrying his bike through USAA. They will work with you. A tip on saving money with your rates at USAA though... They gave me a quote that was pretty high, then she mentioned that if I dropped medical coverage for the rider, it dropped by around half I think. If you have good medical insurance allready that is probably a good option.
Also as far as underwriters go? When I called to insure the Busa (I am 31 clean record, MSF, In Tampa) the lady was shocked that I actualy got a quote right away without having to go to underwriting. She said that almost all 1000CC+ sportbikes, go to underwriting by default. I wouldn't sweat it but be sure to ask about medical, it can save you a bundle.

As for your power concern? The busa really is a big pussycat below about 6000RPM, lots of torque and your moving but nothing spooky. Beyond that? Full wide open? Just be damn sure you are holding on tight...TIGHT...It's like nothing else... and it's pointing in the right direction. Great stuff to have on tap. Also, I think 5500 RPM in sixth works out to about 85-90MPH so your not going to be hurting...

Only caution with the Busa is WATCH your corner entry speed during the first couple of weeks. This thing will corner, but it's so smooth and deceptively fast that I kept finding myself carrying a lot more speed than I thought I was into corners. I was very happy to learn just how well this thing will corner...

DO IT, Get one...You'll feel like a school kid again!!!

Oh and if you stick around you will get used to me freakin rambling......

My girlfriend always seems to slide into my seat when I brake, except when I brake really soft.  But both seats are comfy.
It does eat rear tires without doing any burnouts.
If you twist that throttle its go'in go, be ready.  Almost lost my girlfriend off the back twice(admittly there was lots of throttle twisting).
If you don't like guys coming over and look'in and talk'in around your bike.
Cowling is a little involved, not as easy to service as a naked bike.
Ins. depends on location.  I paid $400 a year full coverage in FL and I'm quoted for $4800-$6800 for a year full coverage in CA(all due to zip code.)

Welcome to the board. It looks like your question was pretty much answered above.
biggrin.gif
Get the Busa you won't regret it.

Thanks guys.

Guess I need to go back over to the Suzuki shop and snuggle up to one... or start hitting Cycletrader.

(Anybody live close to a Triumph dealer and need an immaculate TT600, heh, heh?)
biggrin.gif

Back