Helicopter mid-air in PHX

Charlesbusa

Used to be a SoCal Busa
Donating Member
Registered
2 news helicopters collided while covering a police pursuit.
sad.gif

Luckily they crashed into a park, instead of homes or buisnesses!

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/27/helicopter.crash/index.html

While the circumstances are very sad, this is an amazing shot;

qp.jpg

Should the perp be liable?
That's a tough one yaknow. Sure he's a scumbag that deserves
justice, but to be held directly responsible for that is a little
far fetched. The media didn't have to be there. They're not considered
mission essential as far as the law goes. They're all just trying to get the story and make money off it, in a highly dangerous way.

I'm sure the FAA will be restricting the # of aircraft in any media coverage in the future.

This whole thing is tragic for sure, but hold the right people responsible for their actions and remember witch hunting hurts us all.
We will soon see.

(Luvanicebum @ Jul. 28 2007,10:23) Should the perp be liable?
That's a tough one yaknow. Sure he's a scumbag that deserves
far fetched. The media didn't have to be there. They're not considered
mission essential as far as the law goes. They're all just trying to get the story and make money off it, in a highly dangerous way.

I'm sure the FAA will be restricting the # of aircraft in any media coverage in the future.

This whole thing is tragic for sure, but hold the right people responsible for their actions and remember witch hunting hurts us all.
We will soon see.
Our they trying to hold him liable? That would be like an average citizen following a criminal and dieing in a wreck... They don't have to follow... I think the pilots should be held accountable to me it seems like they were jockeying for the best camera angle instead of maintaining a safe flight space. Like we as the public need to see another low speed chase...
We all know how those end up.

(jessup @ Jul. 28 2007,07:29)
(Luvanicebum @ Jul. 28 2007,10:23) Should the perp be liable?  
That's a tough one yaknow.  Sure he's a scumbag that deserves
far fetched.  The media didn't have to be there.  They're not considered
mission essential as far as the law goes.  They're all just trying to get the story and make money off it, in a highly dangerous way.  

We will soon see.
Our they trying to hold him liable?  That would be like an average citizen following a criminal and dieing in a wreck... They don't have to follow...  I think the pilots should be held accountable to me it seems like they were jockeying for the best camera angle instead of maintaining a safe flight space.  Like we as the public need to see another low speed chase...
We all know how those end up.
Did you see the guy as they were taking him away.
He looked like he was seriously petrified.
"It was an accident man"...
sad.gif

laugh.gif
Let him sweat it out, but I still hope he
doesn't get pinned for this accident.

Charge the scumbag! I hate azzholes who run; they screw it up for everyone! And all they care about are them selves.

(Luvanicebum @ Jul. 28 2007,17:23) Should the perp be liable?  
That's a tough one yaknow.  Sure he's a scumbag that deserves
far fetched.  The media didn't have to be there.  They're not considered
mission essential as far as the law goes.  They're all just trying to get the story and make money off it, in a highly dangerous way.  

We will soon see.
ditto

People died seriously because there's such a ferocious appetite for sensational news and "getting the bad guy that took a car" attitudes.
It's a f$#@ing car dude......a piece of metal. EVERYTHING is so perversely blown out of proportion it's mass insanity.
Let him run away and go catch somebody else under different circumstances.
Everybody's gonna sit there and say, "yeah fry him for it" and in the same moment turn on the TV to watch the helicopter crash cuase we have a fascination with watching tragedy. Don't be a hypocrite.
You wanna watch COPS, you gotta have some price.

Maybe next time the Goodyear blimp crashes we should charge the 75,000 people at Giant stadium.

I don't think he should be charged with the deaths of the news crews. They were taking unnecessary risks to be the first to break the story. I believe on the ground, it is illegal to try to follow a pursuit. If the dork's actions had resulted in the crash of the police chopper or the deaths of police officer involved, then I say yes charge him.

Don

(USN05LE @ Jul. 28 2007,08:38) I don't think he should be charged with the deaths of the news crews.  They were taking unnecessary risks to be the first to break the story.  I believe on the ground, it is illegal to try to follow a pursuit.  If the dork's actions had resulted in the crash of the police chopper or the deaths of police officer involved, then I say yes charge him.

Don
exactly. Now that's......common sense.
Unfortunately..............
COMMON SENSE doesn't exist anymore and this
dude is going to be held responsible.

I think if it happens, we should tie him to a giant wagon wheel, set him on fire and roll him down a hill, since we're all fu$#in crazy now...
smile.gif

Cops don’t have to chase him either. We have alot of no case policy here now due to the azzhats who run and then wreck civvies. So just let them all run like some said " It's just a car" a piece of metal isn’t worth anyone’s live, oh unless it's yours then you'll want the entire country chasing down the scum bag that just took off on your highly prized Hayabusa thats like part of the family thats so loved you spend every waking minute on the internet talking to everyone about how great it is! So you’re telling me that if some one took off on your bike and you saw it you wouldn’t chase them? And then while you’re chasing them you wreck a minivan and kill the family in it you wouldn’t expect to get sued? Scumbags need to be held accountable for their actions not coddled f-em late the scumbag burn!

Had to edit it do to my poor spelling

I hate no-chase policys. All that tells criminals is RUN and you get away.
argue.gif
If there are too many deaths occuring because of pursuits, then start making the punishment for running more severe. If you got the death penalty for running, would people run from the law... Right now, running from the law is just a slap on the wrist to the average criminal.

While I am not a supporter of the news companies and the way they sensationalize the news. I do have to say that pilots of news helicopters are not your typical reporters. Most of these pilots have YEARS of experience and value SAFETY above the story. News companies are smart enough to know that you don't want to hire unsafe pilots simply because of liability. They don't want a news copter going down into a neighborhood.

Is it pilot error, looks like it to me. But don't be so quick to jump on the hate wagon. Pilots are human, just like you and me. All it takes is one moment, just one, and the worst can happen. None of us are incapable of making a mistake. I'm pretty sure both of those pilots didn't want to collide with each other
wink.gif

While the Big Sky theory works most of the time, as long as aircraft fly there will always be mid-air collisions.

I was at work here in Phoenix when it happened. Very sad. 4 fatalities. The only good thing is that no one on the ground was injured.

Back