Helicoiled my drain plug....Op's

PaceMaster

Donating Member
Registered
All was going beautiful..........14mm fine thread....retapping the drain was sweet......cut like butter with a hot knife....... then came time to install the helicoil... it said to use silicone to seal the threads.......and flare it with a tool i the kit. I used JB weld instead....as i was threading in the h-coil...[note] bike was to close too the ground to see properly..as i was screwing it it in i would feel with my finger how far in it was in.
Hahaha...as i unscrewed the coil inserter... i tried my drain plug....OH NO!!!!!!! :banghead: nothing but huge slop...the helicoil went all the way in and was laying on the inside botton of the oil-pan. [visions of removing the header] PAIN in the arse......to remove the pan.......tried a magnet stick.
It almost broke in half.....ON NO...went and bought a flex shaft magnent..........fishin and fishing to no avail... gettin' bummed by now.
I decided to remove the complete clutch..... fished some more...dam....dam....kept trying....ready to give up...as i pulled the maget out,,
WOOT WOOT there it was on the magnet......raised the bike up so i could see....i re-installed the H-coil......JB and flared it.
Now waiting for some gaskets....raining abit here now off and on...dirt ride looks like a go !

Am I reading it correctly. You retapped the treads with the oil pan in place? Aren't you worried about shavings getting into the pan?

Back