Helibars or Genmars

terrass604

Registered
I am thinking of adding either Helibars or Genmar extensions. I just bought the bike yesterday, so I want to try it as is through the breakin process, but may want to get a new screen and risers.

Anyone out there use either Helibars or Genmars and have opinions about them?

Any inputs and advise welcomed.

Ray

go with the risers.... the heli's are slightly wider than stock and plus you can lower it if you want with then GenMar's.

I got my genmars within a month after I got my bike and I love em... gives me a slightly more upright riding position. No complaints here.

You have the genmars and Helis (both) installed now or only the Genmars? I notice that the Genmars mount under the handlebar pad and you don't have to disconnect anything, but the Helis replace the actual handlebars.

just the risers... no helis...

yeah just loosen the top 4 bolts and lift up the bars and slip the risers under and bolt back together. Heli's you have to remove all your controls and remount everything.

I think reapers are great... they're super cheap and do everything that the genmar's do... for about 1/5th the price. I went with the genmar's cuz I like the look better. I don't like the big space left below the top clamp left from the reapers.

Don't forget that if you use the x2 version you might have to adjust your fast idle lever and maybe loosen up some of the wire runs up front........ Other wise when the handle bars are turned to the left (especially when parked) your idle will go up as stress is put on that cable.....

just reroute your fast idle from around the steering head to directly under the front side of the tank and the attach it back.  Simple routing ..... worked great for me and had about 3" of slack.
tounge.gif

<!--EDIT|fstbusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077469426 -->

Thanks guys. I ordered the Genmars last night along with a new Zero Gravity screen and a Ivan TRE (to get rid of the low speed jerking).

I am thinking of adding either Helibars or Genmar extensions. I just bought the bike yesterday, so I want to try it as is through the breakin process, but may want to get a new screen and risers.

Anyone out there use either Helibars or Genmars and have opinions about them?

Any inputs and advise welcomed.

Ray
yay since you just got the bike. Ride it for a couple of hundred miles before you make a change in the bars. You may find your arms are plenty long to feel good even with distance.

I would put at least 1000 miles on it before you think about how to modify it, just so you know where to start. And even if you don't like the look of the reaper risers, because they are so cheap, you can try out several heights for less than one gen-mar or heli. Then you can see what fits you best.

Thanks All. My plan is to keep it like it is until at least the break in is complete and then decide whether to use the screen and risers or not.

<!--EDIT|terrass604
Reason for Edit: None given...|1077556310 -->

Thanks All. My plan is to keep it like it is until at least the break in is complete and then decide whether to use the screen and risers or not.
I'd say go ahead and swap the screen but wait on the risers. Sort out your riding position before you go changing anything for comfort. When I first got my busa (my first sport bike) my hands would be numb after only 18 or 20 miles. I'd have to coast and take my hands off the bars occasionally to get the feeling back in 'em. As I rode more and kept adjusting my riding position I found that I could go longer and longer without problems. Now, I have done +/- 100 miles or so and my hands were as fresh as when I started with no signs of tingling, numbness, or fatigue.

I found that I was trying to support my torso with my arms. That's why there was so much pressure and stress on my hands and wrists. Once I learned to support my torso using my back and abdominal muscles I found that I'm barely gripping the handles without putting any forces on 'em that aren't necessary for steering input. Makes a WORLD of difference. I almost bought Helibars to try and cure the problem. Thing is, the problem wasn't in the bike, it was in me...

Just a little food for thought. I wish someone had known to lay it out like this to me when I first got 'er. Thought I'd share my experience with you and maybe save you some wrist aches and some money.
wink.gif

Back