Heavy Duty Battery

the hids should be running off of your charging system when the bike is running and the leds should draw very little off of the battery when its not running

you can get a hair taller battery / bigger cca ...the exotic lipo / other cell materials are available at a premium price for little to gain...get a qualilty battery tender and plug it in at rest time

Last edited:
you can get a hair taller battery / bigger cca ...the exotic lipo / other cell materials are available at a premium price for little to gain...get a qualilty battery tender and plug it in at rest time

Actually, the Lithium ferrous batteries provide considerable gain/advantage over standard lead acid batteries. And, unless you have something on your bike that draws a lot of power when your bike isn't running, you don't need a battery tender. These batteries only lose 10% of their charge when sitting on a shelf for a year. They are also a lot smaller, only weigh about 2.5lbs compared to the 8lbs of a lead acid battery and pack a whole lot more power into a smaller package.

Unless you've tried one, it's hard to describe the difference in performance.

Here are the specs of the battery I purchased:

Dimensions (Metric): 114MM (L) x 87MM (W) x 112MM (H)
Dimensions (Standard): 4.5" (L) x 3.5" (W) x 4.25" (H)
12 Cell EVO2 Negative Terminal Location: Right
12 Cell EVO2 L Negative Terminal Location: Left
Weight: 1106 grams (2.44 lb)
Voltage (Charged): 13.6V
Amperage: 20 Pb-eq A/H
Pulse Cranking Amps: 410 CCA
Operating Environment: -18°C (0°F) to 60°C (140°F)
Typical Applications: 1000cc and over multi-cylinder motorcycles, metric cruisers, stock Sportsters, Softails, Dynas, large scooters, side by sides, jetskis and large ATV’s.

I was talked out of buying a lighter battery for regular needs at the time I was looking for a replacement...it seems for me at shops they throw the battery on a tender if a bike / other sits for a few days...in my case also during cold days / nights it takes the life out of the battery...so the tender saves the day

One of the interesting differences of these batteries is when it is extremely cold, you turn on the ignition key and let it sit for a min or two. The lights drawing electricity from the battery activates the chemical process and reduces the resistance in the battery and warms it up. In fact, if for some reason it does start on the first attempt, the second attempt actually puts out more power and will start the bike.

Hey, the two lithium batteries seem to be different and the Shorai is $100.00 cheaper as advertised. Anything else pro or con ? The ballistic is only 2.4 lbs and the shorai is over 5.5 lbs from memory.

Look at Alien Motion's site. Pretty much the same as Ballistic. In fact, it has been argued they ARE Ballistics. Half the price.
You will hear a lot of crap about balance charging, etc., but the reality is NONE of of these guy's, (Shorai, Ballistic, Alien Motion), have put a ballast in these batteries that are capable of balance charging more than 4 of the cells.
The Alien Motion battery is still spendy, ($125 for a 12 cell, I think), but free shipping, and have a warranty as well.
Also, don't spend big $ on a charger. All of these guys just rebrand a hobby charger commonly used to charge RC batteries. This is not new tech. These batteries have been used by remote control hobbyists forever.
Here is an email I received back from these folks:
Sorry for the delay in our response, our emails got crossed.

I am not clear what you are asking; is it about the plug that the other brands have on their batteries for balance charging? If so, our newest models that we are currently shipping out, do have a diagnostic plug installed. The plug can be used to monitor the health of your battery and allow you to routinely balance as needed. We are evaluating several models of balancers and should having something available early summer. It is important to us to fully test many models that we feel are accurate, ease of use, and affordable to our customers. All our batteries are balanced and tested prior to shipping. As far as the competition being pricier, I don't get it nor do our current happy customers! I welcome your business and I hope I answered your question.

Also, only the AM8 and AM12 have the diagnostic plug, but all models are on sale! www.alienmotion.com

Best,
Sarah

This is the recommended battery from these folks for a Busa:

[AM12-01] - Twelve Cell LiFePO4 Starter Battery-Retail $144.99 - SALE $124.99

Application - Most vehicles up to 1400cc (4 cylinder), up to 1200cc (2 cylinder)
Dimensions 114MM (4.5”) W x 87MM (3.42”) L x 100MM (4”) H
Weight - 1250g (2 lbs 12oz)
Capacity - 6.6 Amp Hours
Amperage Output (

agm batteries are by far the way to go no service other than charging no leaking or cells to go bad like a acid battery, theres companies like motobatt that make a great battery and pashnit carries them.

On several pages I read about the balance charging and it bothered me until I hit the right page that stated all things similar the battery has twice the life of SLA batteries. So I don't think the balance charging is an issue.

I was at the west coast moto jam(AMA races) last week I talked to a guy from Shorai. even had the battery that would be recommended as a replacement on display. It was light, felt fake. Specs says just under 2lbs, not as much power(210cca) as the Ballistic, but is about a 1/2 lb lighter. I got a 15% code too, getting one for the track bike :laugh:.

LFX14A1-BS12

I have a Yuasa 14s(230cca) in the busa and it works great. Cranks a little slow when cold(40*- 50*) but still starts.

Just for clarification, balance charging is not a requirement. It is an option. You can get the ballistic balance charger for about $75 on ebay if you really want one. Balance charging occasionally supposedly can extend the life of the battery. Ballistic batteries come with a 3 year warranty and balance charging is not a requirement for that warranty.

Also, you can find ballistic 12 cell batteries on line for about $148.

I would go with Shorai i have twin HID on mine works great doesnt reset my clock or anything i ride everyday though

Back