Heavy Bikes Scare Me!

fallenarch

THE SLOW RIDER
Registered
I’m a large person. Ok I’m a very large person. I look like I might weigh about 250-260 but I’m 298 lbs. and probably 320 or so with full gear. Yes, that’s quite a load. When I look at pictures of people on bikes, mentally I think that’s how big I am. I’m always shocked when even a massive bike like a Road glide looks smallish with me on it! It even makes a powerful rocket like a Busa seem tame. My bike doesn’t wheelie unless I bounce or pull it up, even under full throttle. Yeah it will float the front in a power wheelie, but that’s it. I don’t always get it when people say, “you don’t need all that horsepower”. I do, really.

To me a 500-lb. bike is not “heavy”. I’ve picked my Busa up in a dead lift several times. So, I was a bit surprised to realize in my search for a new bike that I’m afraid of heavy bikes. I have been riding a long time now, but handling a big, heavy bike is an art in and of itself.

I tried a couple of the HD’s and the Star touring bikes and I was afraid of them. 175 mph, not a problem. 5 mph on a 900-pound bike is difficult. Get it a few degrees off vertical and the weight starts to take control fast. You must plan everything. Where to step. How to backup, how to turn, will the road support the kick stand. It’s all so complicated.

My name is Fallenarch after all, so this low speed maneuvering thing is always on the back of my mind. I used to have dreams where I was the guy who knocked his bike over and it took the line of bikes out. Consequently, the first mod to my new bike is crash protection. I’m having it put on before I touch the bike.

Even a bike like the K1600 is so big it has a reverse! I wonder if you can get a little beeper so it beeps like a truck? Apparently, these things end up on their side a lot. People say get the engine protection that won’t let the bike go completely over. The bike can only lean about 70 degrees, this makes it easier to lift back up. You mean I can’t turn at 70 degrees of lean on this thing?!

Funny though. The first thing I wanted to learn how to do on the Busa was get a knee down. On the new bike it will be learning how to back it into the garage!

You will be fine.... I gained over a hundred pounds in under 2 years... I was 175 when I was at 5 percent bodyfat and in the gym boxing (not pro just a lowly gym warrior)... I stopped going to the gym but the plus side is that I don't drink anymore.... I can tell you that at 175 lbs the busa felt much much heavier than it does now... like you said.. I can actually pick the bike up off the ground if I can get ahold of it correctly... a few inches anyway... (but at 300 lbs).... mentally I think you have to realize ure strength and just know that even if u did drop it.... it wouldn't be a problem to pick it up... its mental... At my job this is a semi constant worry (mental fear).... I am a CO... (prison guard).. and when incidents are occurring.... like slashings and cuttings... we see the newjacks and weak ones call in sick... take a week off.... the reality is that in this profession that risk is always there... it sucks but most of us learn to control our fear.. some actually go off the deep end and end up being brutal human beings themselves... you have to learn to control the fear... its easy once you know EXACTLY who you are as a person.. get to know yourself as well as you can... I think you will find that you have strength that you never knew you had.... I tell all fake tough guy inmates and officers alike.. If you think you are the toughest in the world... get in the ring.... the truth comes to you very quickly in the center of the ring.... control ure mind 100 percent.

If this guy can do it....
BigBusaRider.jpg

Arch, just by reading your post the last year I already know you are a way more knowledgeable person on motorcycle things related than I am, so the only thing I would tell you is something I'm sure your already aware of, and thats to take a few weeks to slowly get used to your new ride doing some low speed maneuvers, and then, never let yourself get distracted or forget what bike your on when your riding it slow. You are right on when you say the weight can take over fast. I have a almost 800 lb cruiser and there have been a couple times with me and the gal on the back that I've almost peed myself thinking I was going to go over because I got distracted in traffic (usually with another motorcyclist) Its usually at that speed right when you are about to put a foot down.
I am 6'1 (190 lbs right now but dieting to get back down to 175), and I rode a friend of mines Boss Hoss once. By far the biggest heaviest behemoth of a 2 wheeler I've ever been on. and I had no problem navigating it in traffic or parking lots, it actually all felt very easy and comfortable to manage just casually riding it around as a cruiser. But, just by mounting it or sitting still on it, I could easily see me going right over with it if I got distracted and leaned it too much or turned the bars too quick at low speeds. (he has done it a couple times and had to call a tow truck to get it back up on 2 wheels:eek:)
Sometimes crap just happens, thats part of life, but with as good and knowledgeable of a rider as you seem to be, I bet that as long as you stay sharp and ready on it at low speeds you won't ever have a problem.

Well that was a bit tongue in cheek, but I do hate managing a bike at slow speed. I'll probably drop her at least once, already resigned myself to it. I am generally a meticulous rider - tight lines, smooth as possible, ride to the conditions, etc. But I am admittedly a sloppy low speed guy (parking, backing up, etc.). I'm just going to have to have a new focus now that I can't rely the legs to catch the bike.

Photo1.jpg

Willie your plus two of me :) I think why are you scared of a heavy bike ? @ 140 pounds no bike weight bothers me . Now Ill admit I never sit in the saddle , and try to back a FJR , ST1300 ,Gold wing , or the bird out by paddle foot . Instead I push them out . You should look into total control classes all low speed stuff in parking lots .
FYI I may be a runt @ 140 , but all my friends call me either the Sheriff or they Honey Badger for a reason

My Road Glide weighs somewhere around 900lbs+ and I’m only around 200lbs. Don’t really feel the weight or notice it that much unless I have to maneuver it on an incline. I think the biggest factor is I’m able to flat foot the bike. One time this soccer mom In a mini van cut me off in a parking lot as I was turning. Usually sharp braking while slow speed turning is the kiss of death..... But I was able to plant my foot firmly as the bike was leaning over. I felt the full weight of the bike and with help of adrenaline / regular leg workouts I was able to prevent a drop. I was very very lucky!!! Had I been a little slower on reflexes or a tad weaker I would’ve bit it for sure.

I will say this much..... After riding around on these Harley’s the last couple years when I hop on the Busa it feels like a 600!!!

I bought a 89Goldwing a few yrs ago and it was a learning curve getting use to the extra weight have to be really mindful during slow maneuvers I'm only a buck fifty and the Busa feels really light after riding the Wing but then again after over 85,000 on the Busa it fills like a part of me.

Willie your plus two of me :) I think why are you scared of a heavy bike ? @ 140 pounds no bike weight bothers me . Now Ill admit I never sit in the saddle , and try to back a FJR , ST1300 ,Gold wing , or the bird out by paddle foot . Instead I push them out . You should look into total control classes all low speed stuff in parking lots .
FYI I may be a runt @ 140 , but all my friends call me either the Sheriff or they Honey Badger for a reason

I had to read this a couple times C10. It sounds like you said I was more than twice the man you are (Ha Ha Ha) Joking brother.

Willie if you could ride the bird @ my weight you would have a real big smile ☺
I also wish I had your power to weight C10 , like Arch , I definitely feel I kill the power to weight of any motorcycle . To make matters a bit worse , I put a bit extra on over xmas break , so onto monitoring food intake again . Enjoying this thread a lot Arch , can very much relate to your experience .

Excellent conversation guys.
I'm 5'11" and 94Kgs or 207lbs in your money, and I'm a reasonably fit 59 years.
The only time I have trouble with the weight of the 'Busa is when I'm pushing it around to wash it or just turning it around in the gravel driveway. The moment I get on to ride and get rolling it feels light.
I must say age is taking it's toll. I dron't know if I could pick it up if I dropped it on it's side these days. I very nearly dropped it whilst putting it on the paddock stand for maintenance recently.
I saved it, but only just, and gained a very sore shoulder from the experience.
My brother has a HD Softail and boy oh boy is that thing a boat anchor!
I was amazed at how heavy those things are. I can see why so many end up on their sides.
So Willie, why are you changing to a K1600? Just curious.

I was amazed at how heavy those things are. I can see why so many end up on their sides.
So Willie, why are you changing to a K1600? Just curious.

Not changing, adding. I wanted a more touring focused bike for long weekend explorations. Plan to get rid of as much weight as possible on the Busa and keep her for "fun" rides. I have been posting on the decision process for weeks if you want to follow it.

You will get use to it...I have over 100k on my Road Star, it is heavy at 774 Lb with little Hp, only 62Hp. That being said it's comfortable for 6-8 hours riding, at least for me. The difference is like driving my son's Honda Civic or my girl's Nissan Pathfinder. Civic can be maneuvered everywhere quickly, the Pathfinder is like driving a tank. Same with the Busa and your Cruiser, just going to take you time to adjust to the different styles of riding.

Back