Heating nos bottle help much?

NIGHTFLIGHT

Banned
I know raising temp causes expansion thus more pressure.(I deliver propane know all about that) This buddy wanted me put bottle by my truck engine under hood.:oh: Im like no freaking way so then reluctenly agreed put it under my heater in truck.I figure waste of time.

And me baby didnt like it in there.

What is the right temp?

Warmer than before~!~ :laugh:

Scares me too, hate the propane torch method...

I've seen more than a few blow a valve or line off at the pit or starting line, hate to see it come loose on the flame~!!~

Just my O

The idea of having it at a consistant temp / pressure is that it will always perform the same run to run. We heat ours up to 1150 psi..it could go higher, but the idea is consistancy. If the bottle is near empty or low...heating the gas will make it expand, but the bottle will not have enough contents to push the volume that you engine consumes. On a cold night it helps to bring it up to temp.

I am not sure of the result if your WOT w/no2 and you no2 decreases...would you begin to run rich? Just keep an eye on the gauge when getting low.

that's the reason why, nothing else. Consistancy from race to race is very important unless you've already figured out what compensations are needed.
The idea of having it at a consistant temp / pressure is that it will always perform the same run to run.

Yes keeping the right bottle pressure is VERY IMPORTANT, especially with a wet kit. Your bottle can be under 500 psi even with a full bottle if it is very cold. Now they say that the perfect bottle pressure is from 950-1100psi or so. So if your bottle was only at half the pressure your only getting half of your hp shot in nitrous, and if you have a wet kit your getting even less than half the hp you should on the bottle becuase your bike will still be giving the shot the full amount of fuel needed for that nitrous jet and the bike will be running very rich. Have you even hit the button with the bottle valve closed and feel the bog? Same sort of situation if your bottle psi is low. And you dont want to over heat it, one you could go over the burst disc pressure and loose all your nitrous and the other reason is your nitrous selinoid can become stuck and not open if the bottle pressure is too high. I have had selinoids become jammed with only 1150psi in the bottle. And no nitrous when you hit the button is no fun:thumbsup:

Reactions: Zee
I always us the larger solenoids, even for small shots because they have been less prone to sticking at higher pressures, the large NX solenoids I have used as high as 1200 and no problem, I know not recommended but it sure hits like a mofo:thumbsup: most of the kits seem to be rated at 900psi or roughly depending on brand so like Sean said at 500psi you might as well just close the bottle its a waste at that point. We have had cars with 950psi leave with wheels 8-10" off the ground, went to 1100psi next run and scraped the paint off the rear bumper so answer to the question HEAT IT UP

Last edited:
What is the right temp?

There is none... you are looking for a target "pressure"

that pressure is kind of sketchy too.. less nitrous in the bottle is a lot easier to keep at stable pressure (more head room provides more gas to propel the liquid out)

I know our bulk bottles (refill station) was somewhere around 1100psi? but I think the racers are looking for around 800 psi? (sure someone can fix that number if it is off)

For all the nitrous I burned in the drag boat, we never ran a pressure gauge.. Just plugged a full bottle (by weight) in every pass (300 shot fogger)

The best modification I did last year was switch to regulated nitrous system. I currently run at 500 psi off the regulator, and compensate by doubling the jets. For example, two 40 jets at 500 psi give you about 40 HP. On a frigid day while everyone is torching there bottles, and plugging in blankets and blowing relief valves, I just roll up to the staging lanes without worrying about bottle pressure. The other benefit is that if you are spraying for anything more than 4 seconds, bottle pressure on a 2 or 2.5 lb bottle drops like a stone. The regulator eliminates this.

Back