Heated riding gear

busa clubslinger

Registered
So I rode Speedy (my busa) to work the other day. I work 6P to 6A. When I got off at 6A it was about 46 degrees F. and it got pretty damn cold on the highway at speed. I had on long johns under my gear but it was still not pleasant! I don't want to stop riding her to work because of the cold. Does anyone use any heated riding gear or have any pointers for cold weather riding? Thanks!

I have heated jacket and gloves and have found that as long as I keep the top warm I can tolerate more cold on the bottom.

Gerbings heated jacket and glove liners. The only thing I would do differently would be to buy the Gerbings heated gloves instead, because the only gloves I can wear the glove liners under are a set of Olympia winter gauntlets with the inners ripped out.

Yes. Change your ride. Once you go heated gear, can't go back.

Not cheap, but once you have it, it'll last for years. Pic of my 105 watt Powerlet RapidFIR jacket. Troller is wireless.
No more coils like the old days, it's the fabric itself that gets hot, really cool stuff.

Dsc04229_800.jpg

Heated Motorcycle Jacket Liners | rapidFIRe ProForm | Powerlet | Pashnit Moto

This crazy ride was made possible by Powerlet. Toasty.

6683062835_fc5a6e5281_b.jpg

6683062793_e79d3c7fc8_b.jpg

Dsc04229_800.jpg

I rode in the 40's the other day on the BRP at sunset(got cold quick).
I wear my j.r leather pants and boots with long sleeved and legged thermals/long johns.
Insulated socks. Winter bib top coveralls over leathers.
A winter nylon armored Joe Rocket jacket/not ventilated.
A snowmobile ninja style hoodie that covers your neck.
A quiet rider that encloses the bottom opening of the helmet.
Most important, heated gloves! Good quality too, like Gerbings, ones that heat the back of the hand and fingers too. Otherwise they're just like heated grips, because the only heat is the palm of your hand an insides of your fingers.
Meanwhile, the back of your hands and fingers are taking all the cold wind.
I started to get cold the other day, until I plugged my gloves in.
Warmed up almost instantly.
If it got much colder or I was going to ride for more than an hour or 2, I'de definately buy heated insoles(or socks if you prefer) and a heated vest for under any jacket.
The heated gloves, quiet rider, snowmobile hoodie, and some insulated coveralls(that fit easily over gear) are the easiet ways to stay warm.:beerchug:

I've got Gerbings heated jacket and gloves, I've ridden 80MPH in 17* weather with no issue. It's hilarious pulling up to a red light, seeing folks huddling a cup of coffee staring at you and making all sorts of comments. Meanwhile I'm turning the gear down cause once you stop it can get warm.

The biggest secret is sealing off air leaks. A good neck gaitor or a pullover hood for example. At that temp an air leak is like a frozen icepick pushing into your neck.

I've got Gerbings heated jacket and gloves, I've ridden 80MPH in 17* weather with no issue. It's hilarious pulling up to a red light, seeing folks huddling a cup of coffee staring at you and making all sorts of comments. Meanwhile I'm turning the gear down cause once you stop it can get warm.

The biggest secret is sealing off air leaks. A good neck gaitor or a pullover hood for example. At that temp an air leak is like a frozen icepick pushing into your neck.

Yeap - same here. Keeping the cold air out is as important as warming inside. I just use the Gerbings liner and gloves, and a compression fit shirt over the liner with a built in hood under the helmet when it's really cold.

find a military surplus store near you and grab a set (dirt cheap and flat out WORKS!)
P.S. Never gets REALLY cold here in SoCal so I have been able to get by without heated gloves, but it is without a doubt a MUST IMHO

brown%20ecws%20polypro%20underwear.jpg

Really good comments folks...thanks! I'm gonna go with the heated jacket and gloves. I currently am using the in-tank bag powerlet set-up, sounds like I will need to change that set-up for power options.

Back