Heated Liner +gloves --> dimming high beams

drfbusa

Registered
I have stock head lights. Tonight I was riding in the dark with my WarmN Safe Liner and gloves with a single troller, when I noticed the high beam dimming in conjunction with the blinking LED on the troller. When the troller is drawing power, the high beam dims. The troller is wired to the battery. I was cruising at 60 mph (stock sprocket gearing).

does this mean, Im approaching the limits of the alternator? Any adverse effects of this? It looks as though its time for me to dive into HIDs.

Thanks

not automatically..... a subtle change in things may be noticable as the regulator switches to accomodate.... what you wanna do is get an amp clamp or other accurate ammeter and see what the break even point of your charging system is.... with my tourmaster synergy vest and my electric grips both on "high" my 06 breaks even at just above idle... so unless you actually have connection or charging system trouble,I doubt your gear is drawing enough to overpower the 'busa... but of course,checking is the only way to know for sure

Why not go with Hids, that'll compensate for the increased pull on the battery. Easy to say, especially since they cost $300.

Good Luck.

Im going to run in 5th gear for a while to see higher RPMs to see if the increase alternator out put compensates. Im leaning HID for now, but am wondering why other heated gear doesnt call the dimming effect.

Thanks!

not automatically..... a subtle change in things may be noticable as the regulator switches to accomodate.... what you wanna do is get an amp clamp or other accurate ammeter and see what the break even point of your charging system is.... with my tourmaster synergy vest and my electric grips both on "high" my 06 breaks even at just above idle... so unless you actually have connection or charging system trouble,I doubt your gear is drawing enough to overpower the 'busa... but of course,checking is the only way to know for sure
What he said. I run with my Eclipse Electic vest and Dual Star Grip heaters and I am fine even on my short half hour commute. I would invest in a Battery tender and as mentioned check your output with an ammeter.

Back