Heated hand grips

serephim

Registered
I have a question raised by the warm gloves thread.
Does anyone use or know about heated hand grips?

I bought a set from Kimpex for $25. The problem arose the these were designed for snowmachines which do not use a twist throttle. There would have to be a small length of wire exposed to take in the turning action of the throttle.

Is there a kit that one could purchase that would avoid this scenario, or, could I go ahead with the installation based solely on the fact that the Busa does not use much in the way of throttle action.

I just want to avoid wearing the wire thin and causing a short.

Cheers

I have a question raised by the warm gloves thread.
Does anyone use or know about heated hand grips?

I bought a set from Kimpex for $25. The problem arose the these were designed for snowmachines which do not use a twist throttle. There would have to be a small length of wire exposed to take in the turning action of the throttle.

Is there a kit that one could purchase that would avoid this scenario, or, could I go ahead with the installation based solely on the fact that the Busa does not use much in the way of throttle action.

I just want to avoid wearing the wire thin and causing a short.

Cheers

Well?

Did the wire wear thin or what? I've had a grip warmers waiting in the garage for eight years now with no answer. Geeze, I wish people would follow up on stuff....:banghead:

I'm putting them on anyways. :moon:

:laugh:

cheers
ken

I have some. It hasn't worn thin yet. Hardest part for me was learning to turn them off when I got off the bike. I don't have it wired through the ignition. I gotta fix that.

And this original post was before my time, so that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

I would think that if you strategically placed the wire in, maybe some shrink tube, it wouldn't wear.....

My solution,was soft back leather gloves with rabbit { very soft } fur inside for lineing...They were a gife to me for a christmas gift from my wife and daughter 6 years ago,,,I used to ride even in single diget weather,,,,[ easy to do when you have a new bike ] some people think your crazy,,but to me in the winter when we llived in Va,,a 50 degree day was a warm day to ride,,in 03 I had just gottten a v-max and i rode that bike evrywhere,,in the dead of winter,,Then in 04 We bought the busa,,,,The point is ,,Even in the freezing weather ,those gloves dont get stiff,,and they dont let any air in and My fingers didnt ever get cold,,I used to use different combos for gloves,,different types and even wore 2 pairs at a time,jersey gloves for the liners and a nice leather glove for the out side,,but my finger were not only cold ,They were stiff,,,,,,,Those gloves are the ticket,really soft rabbit fur lineing and soft black driveing leather gloves on the outside,,,and They feel so good that even in the summer,I wear them,,I dont ever sweat in them,,and they are just the ticket for protective gear for the hands[ ussually the palms,,if you would have a wreck,,when Iteeboned that truck in 04,,I was wearing them,,,I broke alot of bones but nothing on the hands,,I had a nice shoei helmet,,but a direct hit like a torpedo,, it still ripped my skull wide open from brow line to the crown and fratured the bones in my face,,along with multible other broken bones ,,,But The feel of those goves while rideing makes me feel naked while rideing without them,,,I use a helmet when I ride the busa,but not with my wifes v-twin,,,We live in NM in the desert,,you can go 50 miles and notsee another car,,and i dont exceed 40 mph on her bike,,,i just like cruiseing thru the hills and straight aways,,But if I ride the busa without a helmet,,even at 40,,I feel naked,,just used to haveing it on,and I get a sense that something is wrong,,so I prefer the gear:thumbsup:

Mine work great the wires dont touch or get in the way of anything, they move with the throttle twist no problem. I have had them on my GEN II for about 8 mos and had them on my old Busa for several years.

Nov-09 047.jpg

Heated hand grips all have a wire connection on the throttle side that must move. I have used them for over 6 years and no problems. Wire them through a switch or heat controller. Power the switch or controller with power from the battery through a relay. The relay is hooked to the battery and a powr source only on with the ignition. That way no worries about leaving them on.

I prefer the Dual Star brand (use Google). They mount under any grips and the left side is more powerful than the right side. That is because the right side is on the throttle tube and is better insulated from the steel or aluminum handle bars. Their way gives even heat. They will spoil you.

I am running the the Hot Grips on my 05 Busa. They work well but are larger diameter than standard grips. A feature I really like. but they also have a Simple Off , High or Low Switch. This equals in my experience, the following reactions
"Are these things on?" "Or Damn that is Hot" and I wind up switching between the settings a lot. They are american made and I have had them on for 5 years and they work very well. as I recall the dealer dinged me $125 for them installed,
On My 08 B King I went with the Oxford Grips they are standard diameter ( again because of the size of my hands I prefer slightly larger) and come with a 4 setting switch that make very easy to to find a sweet spot and ride all day without touching the switch. I have only had them on for the this season. They set me back $70 and are "a International" product. A friend helped me install them and it was a pretty straight forward install and would hesitate to recommend the Oxfords.

Back