Heated grip install help

stormypetrel

Registered
Hello All,

I just installed a pair of Oxford heated grips and I was wondering if anyone can help me identify the best circuit to use (only works when key is on) near the back of the bike. The instructions say to connect them to the battery but I just KNOW that is going to result in misfortune (dead battery). I've already routed the control box to the tool kit area, so I'm hoping to stay there. Thanks a lot.

I would attach them through a relay to the battery rather than drawing the extra current from an existing circuit. I'd wire the relay to the driving light wire so it is closed when the key is on. I don't remember the color and I don't have the wiring diagram here. Maybe someone else will chime in with that.

word to the wise you want to make sure even when running through a ignition circuit that you make sure you install a switch... heated grips always on is a horrible idea lol

and the left side was a ***** as the aluminum bars "pull" the heat away, so they don't heat the same. barely felt the clutch side, and melted the grip on the throttle side (exaggerated melting, but was considerably hotter) need to come up with a way to keep heating element off the bar directly....

and I ran mine through a relay and a switch. powered on (for relay) through tail light lead so "IF" i left them on, would go off with ignition.....

I run my heated grips off the horn hot wire, it's fused & runs off a relay. The left side bar can be wrapped w/ several layers of electrical tape to keep the heat away from the handlebar.

Hello All,

I just installed a pair of Oxford heated grips and I was wondering if anyone can help me identify the best circuit to use (only works when key is on) near the back of the bike. The instructions say to connect them to the battery but I just KNOW that is going to result in misfortune (dead battery). I've already routed the control box to the tool kit area, so I'm hoping to stay there. Thanks a lot.

I haven't installed mine yet but from what I've heard and read they have a power cut-off so they don't drain the battery, leaving enough power in the battery to turn over the motor, also apparently they wont turn on unless there is sufficient charge in the battery.

and the left side was a ***** as the aluminum bars "pull" the heat away, so they don't heat the same. barely felt the clutch side, and melted the grip on the throttle side (exaggerated melting, but was considerably hotter) need to come up with a way to keep heating element off the bar directly....

and I ran mine through a relay and a switch. powered on (for relay) through tail light lead so "IF" i left them on, would go off with ignition.....

Yeah the aluminium bars will act as a heatsync, as mentioned before you could wrap electrical tape around the bar or you could use some heat shrink tubing, I bought a cheap version of heated grips (the ones you have to apply under your OEM grips) and they came with heat shrink tubing.

Bazz :oldcool:

i just installed oxford grips myself and found this thread. i like the direct "horn" (+) wire idea which would rig up perfectly for me and i won't have to worry about a relay. the electrical tape idea did not work for me before so i am out. my cheap heater pads that i had under the oem grips finally crapped out after 2 seasons so we shall see how these bad boys hold up.

Back