Heated Gear

ozz

Donating Member
Registered
I finally got tired of being cold, especially that ride with a few of the guys over to Thunderhill so I bought some First Gear heated gloves and Jacket Liner. The gloves are 15 watts each at 12.8 volts, and the liner is 90 watts at 12.8 volts should i have got the 65 watt liner or am i ok at that draw on the system? better yet exactly how many watts can i draw before i drain the battery or worse?
dunno.gif

heated_gear_8__2_.jpg

IIRC, the Busa has a fairly lean stator output - 400-watts @ 5000 RPM.

If you don't have a Heat-Troller to be able to set your heated gear at a lower setting, you'll be making a pretty hefty 120-watt draw.

That said, I don't have a lot of Hayabusa-specific experience on how that bike handles this amount of load. But I have considerable experience on other bikes that do have significant electrical modifications.

The old Honda ST1100 was a carburetor bike with that a similarly lean stator capacity: 420-watts @ 5000 RPM. A 120-watt draw on that bike was definitely pushing it's performance envelope, if ran that way constantly.

Thus, on a fuel injected bike like the Hayabusa, 120-watts may *really* be pushing the issue if ran continuously. The 65-watt liner would likely have been a better choice for this platform.

IIRC, the Busa has a fairly lean stator output - 400-watts @ 5000 RPM.

If you don't have a Heat-Troller to be able to set your heated gear at a lower setting, you'll be making a pretty hefty 120-watt draw.

That said, I don't have a lot of Hayabusa-specific experience on how that bike handles this amount of load. But I have considerable experience on other bikes that do have significant electrical modifications.

The old Honda ST1100 was a carburetor bike with that a similarly lean stator capacity: 420-watts @ 5000 RPM. A 120-watt draw on that bike was definitely pushing it's performance envelope, if ran that way constantly.

Thus, on a fuel injected bike like the Hayabusa, 120-watts may *really* be pushing the issue if ran continuously. The 65-watt liner would likely have been a better choice for this platform.
Thanks for the help! i did get the troller with it, actually got the dual one so i can run the gloves and liner independently if i were to not run the vest full blast all the time (which i dont think i will need to) would i be ok with the 90? i mean i know i wont really know where the point is thats its set to high and draw to much juice, but i just dident want to get a 65 and it not be enough i was thinking in the back of my mind i could always go with HID to free up some available watts with the 90 if that will work

i'm not sure of the exact numbers but going with HID's should save you enough juice to put you back on the safe side (i think you save around 42 watts- please correct me if i am wrong)

if you are thinking about going with them anyway, i would definitely encourage you to do it whether or not you need it for the electrical savings...just the safety factor alone is worth it (i've only had one driver not see me since i put mine in during the summer and she was on a cellphone and never even glanced in my direction before trying to run me off the road
argue.gif
)...plus, if you ride at night a lot like i do, the difference in being able to see is nothing short of amazing!!!

42 would do it and give me more light and that would be nice (I think back to one particularly stressful 550 mile ride home in the dark) but i cant do the light until next month i was hoping i could get away with it for now if that troller will will do it im in i guess?

bump.gif
so any one else run electric gear? with 120 watts of draw will the busa handle it with the troller or am i taking a chance? exactly how many watts do i have to use for electric gear?

ok heres what i decieded im being told that they cant ship the troller now there out of stock, two weeks yada, yada, yada, so im just going to return the whole deal and look for widder or someone who actually has the all the stuff i will need and also get a smaller rated liner just in case thanks all

I have TourMaster's Synergy Vest and Gloves. I run them on both my '08 Busa and my '06 Roadliner. I did not even check the power draw on either bike to see if it would handle it, just hooked both straight up to the battery (the connection is fussed). I have had no issues and really can not believe Suzuki would design the power output so low that it would not support electric gear. How are you all determining what it can handle?

This is directly from Tourmaster. They replied to my inquiry in < 24 hours.
Gerbings Work well for me.  Their Site Claims Jacket is @ 77 Watts and the Pants @ 44 Watts at Max Temps. Gotta use a Thermostat.
thumb_up.gif
do you have the gerbings gloves as well and if so which ones? i was kinda of turned off by their classic glove, it dosent look very secure on the wrist........

This is directly from Tourmaster. They replied to my inquiry in < 24 hours.
Gerbings Work well for me.  Their Site Claims Jacket is @ 77 Watts and the Pants @ 44 Watts at Max Temps. Gotta use a Thermostat.
thumb_up.gif
do you have the gerbings gloves as well and if so which ones?   i was kinda of turned off by their classic glove, it dosent look very secure on the wrist........
No Electric Gloves ozz

Ozz, I have the G3 Gerbings gloves. I didn't like the classic gloves cuz I thought they were too bulky. The G3 are more pliable and they are nice and warm for me. And the only thing Gerbings advised me on the wattage issue was to make the sure the bike was running while the gear is plugged in as it will drain a battery pretty quick if the bike is off..

...make the sure the bike was running while the gear is plugged in as it will drain a battery pretty quick if the bike is off..

Old post bump. I am looking at some Gerbing too. To get around this problem, I would run a relay that is ignition switched so you never have to worry about your battery running down. My 12V cigarette in the trunk is switched. Worth a look if you're concerned or have bad memory like me. :)

Plus, your settings would remain the same so you can keep the temperature consistent each time.

I'm using warmnsafe (first gear) jacket liner, gloves and pants with no problems. I have hid's now but didn't when I first got the gear.

Back