Heated Gear recommendations

How well do you like the Gerbings fit charts? on target or large or small?

I do not own one personally but I got a chance to try them on during the Long Beach Bike Show and IMO, they fit "true to size". For example, I wear MED shirts (40R coat/jacket) and their MED liners fit me just right (snug, not tight)

I have the same, Synergy jacket liner, have ridden in sub freezing temps they are awesome, highly recommend them. Make sure they fit snug for good heat transfer, they have a high collar to keep neck warm and you can feel the heat down the arms up the back and across your chest, right where you need it. The only beef I have is the clip on the controler that holds the leg strap, the strap comes off the clip and I have lost the strap at a set of lights. Solution...
HTML:
a small tie wrap around the controler to keep the strap in the clip. Not going anywhere now.:thumbsup:

I just put a really small rubber band to keep the strap in the clip. Works really well.

I have the same, Synergy jacket liner, have ridden in sub freezing temps they are awesome, highly recommend them. Make sure they fit snug for good heat transfer, they have a high collar to keep neck warm and you can feel the heat down the arms up the back and across your chest, right where you need it. The only beef I have is the clip on the controler that holds the leg strap, the strap comes off the clip and I have lost the strap at a set of lights. Solution...a small tie wrap around the controler to keep the strap in the clip. Not going anywhere now.:thumbsup:

I just put a really small rubber band to keep the strap in the clip. Works really well.

How well do you like the Gerbings fit charts? on target or large or small?

I'd have to agree they run pretty true to size maybe just a little big as I'm normally a Med depending on who makes the garment and the Gerbing jacket liner I have is a perfect fit in small. Med is good but there's some loose spots that wouldn't allow great heat transfer. In the gerbing armored jacket I wear a Medium and it has a medium liner zipped in to it.

The Hybrid gloves are nice but don't expect a long run time. On high which is usually needed when temps are low 30's I don't think I get more then a half hour. Plugged in to the bike they are awesome but a bit to bulky IMHO. I switched to heated grips and the Hybrids have been sitting on the shelf since. I do love Gerbings gear though as I have both there armored heated pant and jacket and insoles.

I tried the Tourmaster before getting Gerbings and they didn't hold up for more then a couple weeks. Returned them and bought the Gerbings and I haven't looked back.

What heated grips are you using? How cold have you ridden down to with them? Apparently I forgot to add the Gerbings gloves to the gift list.

Now it's a choice between the heated gerbings gloves, or heated grips with Held Freezer or Ice Breaker gloves.

I want to be able to ride for at least an hour when it's sub 20 degrees outside. I'm not talking Southern California "Cold". I'm talking Minnesota/N. Dakota cold.

Looking at Hot Grips.

Money is less important than hypothermia resistance. Thoughts?

What heated grips are you using? How cold have you ridden down to with them? Apparently I forgot to add the Gerbings gloves to the gift list.

Now it's a choice between the heated gerbings gloves, or heated grips with Held Freezer or Ice Breaker gloves.

I want to be able to ride for at least an hour when it's sub 20 degrees outside. I'm not talking Southern California "Cold". I'm talking Minnesota/N. Dakota cold.

Looking at Hot Grips.

Money is less important than hypothermia resistance. Thoughts?

Hot Grips is what I chose. They had the best reviews that I could find for heat output and longevity. They were pretty easy to install but a little time consuming due to the wire routing. Here's a link to their site: HOT GRIPS-heated grips, hand warmers, grip warmers

I got mine with the switch house and then picked up a Rubber Toggle Boot to protect the switch from the elements and make it look cleaner.

I've rode in 24 degree temps with Held Warm and Dry gloves and it was very effective and kept me very comfy. Anything below 40 degree's and High setting is needed. I have no doubt these would work fine in the single digits but you will notice they feel cold whenever you take your hand off the grip at speed but once you put your hand back you'll feel that layer of heat building back up.

We had -17 degree's where I live for the last few weeks, luckily the low has gone back up to +15 degreee's. And everyone always thinks that all of CA is beaches and all of NV is roasting deserts. Go north and it's mountains and cold winters.

Oh just to mention if you order from Hot Grips add the Epoxy and fuse relay to the order as it doesn't come with it. You can find the epoxy at some stores but it might be a pain and it's nice to have everything when you need for it. It's an epoxy that breaks down at a certain temp by insulating the grips so you can remove them without destroying them if you choose. Also they suggest you don't use heated grips with Throttle locks as the grips expands. I don't think that it would be an issue to use them though if your doing a long trip and you don't need to turn the grips on.

Here's a couple pics of them installed on my Honda:

100_0741.jpg

You can see the switch housing to the right of my high beams which is pretty clean. Requires no modifications to the bike as it just goes around the bars. Might be nice to just buy one of these if you need a switch for something and don't want to drill the fairing. They have 3 different type at the bottom of the page for different switch configurations: Accessories You can always buy just the house if you have a switch already.

100_0743.jpg

Hot Grips is what I chose. They had the best reviews that I could find for heat output and longevity. They were pretty easy to install but a little time consuming due to the wire routing. Here's a link to their site: HOT GRIPS-heated grips, hand warmers, grip warmers

I got mine with the switch house and then picked up a Rubber Toggle Boot to protect the switch from the elements and make it look cleaner.

I've rode in 24 degree temps with Held Warm and Dry gloves and it was very effective and kept me very comfy. Anything below 40 degree's and High setting is needed. I have no doubt these would work fine in the single digits but you will notice they feel cold whenever you take your hand off the grip at speed but once you put your hand back you'll feel that layer of heat building back up.

We had -17 degree's where I live for the last few weeks, luckily the low has gone back up to +15 degreee's. And everyone always thinks that all of CA is beaches and all of NV is roasting deserts. Go north and it's mountains and cold winters.

Oh just to mention if you order from Hot Grips add the Epoxy and fuse relay to the order as it doesn't come with it. You can find the epoxy at some stores but it might be a pain and it's nice to have everything when you need for it. It's an epoxy that breaks down at a certain temp by insulating the grips so you can remove them without destroying them if you choose. Also they suggest you don't use heated grips with Throttle locks as the grips expands. I don't think that it would be an issue to use them though if your doing a long trip and you don't need to turn the grips on.

Here's a couple pics of them installed on my Honda:

100_0741.jpg

You can see the switch housing to the right of my high beams which is pretty clean. Requires no modifications to the bike as it just goes around the bars. Might be nice to just buy one of these if you need a switch for something and don't want to drill the fairing. They have 3 different type at the bottom of the page for different switch configurations: Accessories You can always buy just the house if you have a switch already.

100_0743.jpg

Thanks for the detailed write up and photos. Looks like a clean installation.

I ordered a set from pashnit.com. Don't think he had the adhesive, and I got the sense these were a left over set he had in stock...I'll have to source it elsewhere.

Maybe I'll order the switch and adhesive directly from hotgrips.

Back