Heated Gear recommendations

Tour Master Synergy all the way. The pre-2008 gear had heat controllers that would shut off the heat just because the engine dropped to idle for a second of two. They have fixed that in newer models. Also, the new textile gloves keep the water out better than the leather ones.

The jacket liner will fit under most gear. It is not very thick, and it's really warm. I also have the pants liner, chaps style. The full pants liner is also available. The jacket, pants, and gloves can all be controlled by one controller and use just over 100W of energy at the highest heat setting. It will cook you at those temps.

I have Tourmaster (they have controller issues), My next will be Gerbing.

Last edited:
I have Tourmaster (they have controller issues), My next will be Gerbing.

Do your controllers have a "C" marking on the back? If not get your retailer to ask the local Tour Master Rep to swap it for a newer one. It shouldn't cost you a dime over getting to the dealer.

Last edited:
Have the Gerbing setup. They just came out with their new gloves last month. I have the dual controller. Set my bike up with outlet direct to battery. The lead fits very nicely between the seat and the tank. The controller clips nicely onto the jacket. I clip my on the left lower part of my jacket pocket for adjusting with left hand. I have the jacket liner with full sleeves. At 70 mph in 40 degrees I am toasty. I wear jeans with a rain pants under my Motoport full Kevlar mesh pants. I have alpinestar slightly above ankle ridding boots-leather...Only my legs get cool...but not cold. As you know..if you keep your core warm you are okay. Like one of the other .Org guys said..wear a baclava (spelling?)...I also wear a wrap of some sort around my neck and tucked in my jacket to keep cold wind out of my helmet...Hope it helps...it sure makes riding much more pleasurable when you are warm..2hip

I've got a Powerlet Proform heated liner and Gloves as well as their portable dual temperature controller that I bought this spring. Works well.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Prix Motorsports is having a 22% off sale on Gerbing heated gear. When ordering online use coupon code Gerb1013 at checkout. I don't think you will find a better deal on it. Just be warned, heated gear will spoil you pretty fast. Free shipping too.

http://www.grandprixmotorsports.com/default.asp

Last edited:
Great pricing but not sure I'm happy about the warranty offered.....

Tour Master has a 2 year warranty on all the Synergy products. I have had no problems getting any issues resolved. Although they did take my crashed textile jacket and are using it for training classes. :thumbsup:

Did you buy chaps or full pants? Could see where the chaps would not keep the back of your legs warm.

Heated chaps work fine when worn under your other gear. The heat is in the front when there is any chaqnce of wind coming through and you gear holds the warm in.

Just curious as to what exactly happened to the Tourmaster. Haven't had any problem with mine. I've been using it almost everyday until the snow storm hit.

The attachment from the jacket that kept the cord in place tore off allowing the wires to be exposed. This did not happen from pulling on it in anyway that would qualify as abusive. The controller also had a plastic clip on the back that broke off while attaching it to my belt.

I can't say whether they have done any improvements or not but I bought mine in mid 2008.

I had sent an email to Tourmaster about the controller clip breaking. A few days later after I returned the jacket I got the controller, so I can say that they care about their customers. Unfortunately they need to iron out some issues with their heated gear. Whether they have since my purchase or not I don't know. Every company is going to have their bad lots and improve if they have any qualities to them but IMHO Gerbing has been doing heated gear for longer which makes them a safer bet. I have a TM nylon pant and jacket and they have worked great for what they cost.

Oh if anyone needs a controller for their TM heated gear I got one for the cost of shipping.

The attachment from the jacket that kept the cord in place tore off allowing the wires to be exposed. This did not happen from pulling on it in anyway that would qualify as abusive. The controller also had a plastic clip on the back that broke off while attaching it to my belt.

I can't say whether they have done any improvements or not but I bought mine in mid 2008.

I had sent an email to Tourmaster about the controller clip breaking. A few days later after I returned the jacket I got the controller, so I can say that they care about their customers. Unfortunately they need to iron out some issues with their heated gear. Whether they have since my purchase or not I don't know. Every company is going to have their bad lots and improve if they have any qualities to them but IMHO Gerbing has been doing heated gear for longer which makes them a safer bet. I have a TM nylon pant and jacket and they have worked great for what they cost.

Oh if anyone needs a controller for their TM heated gear I got one for the cost of shipping.

I had the exact same 2 things happen to my tourmaster. The wires pulled out the 3rd time I wore it. I just keep riding with it like that since everything still works. Wasn't really happy about it though.

Great pricing but not sure I'm happy about the warranty offered.....

It's lifetime on the heating elements and I'm sure they will take care of you with any issues even if it is outside of the year warranty for the other parts. I've spoken to a few people who had some issues with one thing or another and Gerbing took very good care of them.

They will also do some alterations. Read how one guy wanted the heated element to run through the glove palms and Gerbing did this for him at a low cost.

I had the exact same 2 things happen to my tourmaster. The wires pulled out the 3rd time I wore it. I just keep riding with it like that since everything still works. Wasn't really happy about it though.

Yeah I think that is rediculous for something that cost so much. Having two things break in a a couple weeks was enough for me so I decided to spend the extra for the Gerbings. Ended up costing less for the Gerbings as my dealer took care of me. If you put the Gerbings and the TM stuff side by side the Gerbings is much more solid. Having the stuff now for a year has proven that it is built better as it still looks and works like new.

Also the Gerbings seems to be better at heat distribution. It feels the same everywhere, where as the TM got to hot on the underside of my arms when I ran the gear on high.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Prix Motorsports is having a 22% off sale on Gerbing heated gear. When ordering online use coupon code Gerb1013 at checkout. I don't think you will find a better deal on it. Just be warned, heated gear will spoil you pretty fast. Free shipping too.

Grand Prix Motorsports, , Colorado, Denver, Littleton, Yamaha Kawasaki Polaris Suzuki Victory Schwinn, Dealer, ATVs and Snowmobiles

And they also have a decent stock of the old style stuff in store if you live close by. Jacket liners are like $115 which is a smoking deal.

I recommend the jacket liner and not the vest. You know how much wind the arms catch. I'm really glad I got the jacket version. You can really feel the heat on your arms. All I can say is, "WOW"!!! One thing you don't want to do is wear something thick inside it. You want it as close to the skin as possible. That's why I only wear a cycling shirt. You guys know how thin those are. Works very well. Also, the moment you turn it on, you will be hot in a matter of seconds.

I have the same, Synergy jacket liner, have ridden in sub freezing temps they are awesome, highly recommend them. Make sure they fit snug for good heat transfer, they have a high collar to keep neck warm and you can feel the heat down the arms up the back and across your chest, right where you need it. The only beef I have is the clip on the controler that holds the leg strap, the strap comes off the clip and I have lost the strap at a set of lights. Solution... a small tie wrap around the controler to keep the strap in the clip. Not going anywhere now.:thumbsup:

How well do you like the Gerbings fit charts? on target or large or small?

Back