Heated Gear recommendations

skydivr

Jumps from perfectly good Airplanes
Donating Member
Since everyone know knows i'm in withdrawal, tell me your experience with heated gear. Brands, etc. Some pretty good sales going on right now. I'd like a heated jacket liner, gloves and pants.

Since everyone know knows i'm in withdrawal, tell me your experience with heated gear. Brands, etc. Some pretty good sales going on right now. I'd like a heated jacket liner, gloves and pants.

I highly recommend this one. Tour Master - Synergy Electric Jacket Liner Tour Master Competition Accessories
I also have the gloves. They are amazing. You can contact Aaron at (803)327-1717 and tell him Jesse sent you. I think it's still on sale. I've been out there when the temperature was in the teens and had no problem whatsoever. I think the highest setting is like 160+*F and the lowest is around 120+*F. I only wear a long sleeves cycling shirt inside and I even took the jacket liner off of my leather jacket because I don't need it. I'm sure you know what time I ride most of the time. The longest ride I've done when the temperature was in the 20's was 4 hours. That's only because I have to be home at a certain time. If I don't, I'd be out there all day.

Forgot to include this one. http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1001005/p/18173
When you buy the gloves, you don't need the temperature controller for it. Just plug in the gloves to the cord that comes out of the sleeves and you're set. It comes with it but you just use the one from the jacket to control the temperature of both jacket and gloves. So far, I don't need the pants or the insole. I'm fine with just the toe warmers.

Last edited:
Let me be more specific. I want a set that will fit under my existing gear, that I can don't have to wear much underneath, all plug in together.

Was just looking at gerbing. Glove liners look good. Jacket and pant liners look a little large (but probaby could make up for it by not having to wear 3 layers of fleece/long underwear.

Let me be more specific. I want a set that will fit under my existing gear, that I can don't have to wear much underneath, all plug in together.

Was just looking at gerbing. Glove liners look good. Jacket and pant liners look a little large (but probaby could make up for it by not having to wear 3 layers of fleece/long underwear.

They fit inside your existing gear. That's what I did. I only wear a cycling shirt underneath.

They fit inside your existing gear. That's what I did. I only wear a cycling shirt underneath.

Did you buy chaps or full pants? Could see where the chaps would not keep the back of your legs warm.

Tourmaster (Synergy Vest) was very well reviewed here: Tourmaster Synergy Heated Vest - webBikeWorld

As as sleeper_red said, pant liner, gloves and shoe liner interconnect. Gloves pictured below (best to get the '09 model and newer. Supposedly, earlier versions had issues that needed to get ironed out)

tourmaster-synergy-gloves.jpg

tourmaster-synergy-vest-front.jpg

Last edited:
Tourmaster (Synergy Vest) was very well reviewed here: Tourmaster Synergy Heated Vest - webBikeWorld

As as sleeper_red said, pant liner, gloves and shoe liner interconnect. Gloves pictured below (best to get the '09 model and newer. Supposedly, earlier versions had issues that needed to get ironed out)

I recommend the jacket liner and not the vest. You know how much wind the arms catch. I'm really glad I got the jacket version. You can really feel the heat on your arms. All I can say is, "WOW"!!! One thing you don't want to do is wear something thick inside it. You want it as close to the skin as possible. That's why I only wear a cycling shirt. You guys know how thin those are. Works very well. Also, the moment you turn it on, you will be hot in a matter of seconds.

I'm expecting a pair of these gloves for Christmas. If I don't get them I'm going to buy them anyway, so they'd better be under the tree!

I have a Gerbings heated vest, and it does a good job. On sub 30 degree days, I wear a thermal undershirt for a base layer, then the heated vest, then something fleece or similar over that. The lithium ion battery/temperature controller adds enough heat to keep my core temperature up. It lasts about five hours on a full charge...longer than I'm going to ride. My record to date is 28 degrees for an hour, but I'm going to try to shatter that record this winter.

For absolute maximum warmth the Tourmaster products might be better, but I didn't want to mess with plugging into something on the bike.

I'm planning to check a local sporting goods store for electrically heated socks.

I bought a balaclava from Iron Pony that is a huge help...though I don't like breathing through it...need to modify it.

I wear two pair of silk thermal underwear under jeans. Helps a lot, but I need to find something better...though that may need to wait until next season as I'm fast approaching accessory purchasing fatigue for this winter.

I'm expecting a pair of these gloves for Christmas. If I don't get them I'm going to buy them anyway, so they'd better be under the tree!

I have a Gerbings heated vest, and it does a good job. On sub 30 degree days, I wear a thermal undershirt for a base layer, then the heated vest, then something fleece or similar over that. The lithium ion battery/temperature controller adds enough heat to keep my core temperature up. It lasts about five hours on a full charge...longer than I'm going to ride. My record to date is 28 degrees for an hour, but I'm going to try to shatter that record this winter.

For absolute maximum warmth the Tourmaster products might be better, but I didn't want to mess with plugging into something on the bike.

I'm planning to check a local sporting goods store for electrically heated socks.

I bought a balaclava from Iron Pony that is a huge help...though I don't like breathing through it...need to modify it.

I wear two pair of silk thermal underwear under jeans. Helps a lot, but I need to find something better...though that may need to wait until next season as I'm fast approaching accessory purchasing fatigue for this winter.

Next time you are at Iron Pony check out their line of Schampa fleece under garments. I wear the pants and the shirt. Great stuff...above and below 30.

+3 on Gerbings battery powered stuff.... Works like a champ and I can use it anywhere (not just on the bike). I've yet to have to turn it up above a medium setting as this thing will cook your goose!

The Hybrid gloves are nice but don't expect a long run time. On high which is usually needed when temps are low 30's I don't think I get more then a half hour. Plugged in to the bike they are awesome but a bit to bulky IMHO. I switched to heated grips and the Hybrids have been sitting on the shelf since. I do love Gerbings gear though as I have both there armored heated pant and jacket and insoles.

I tried the Tourmaster before getting Gerbings and they didn't hold up for more then a couple weeks. Returned them and bought the Gerbings and I haven't looked back.

The Hybrid gloves are nice but don't expect a long run time. On high which is usually needed when temps are low 30's I don't think I get more then a half hour. Plugged in to the bike they are awesome but a bit to bulky IMHO. I switched to heated grips and the Hybrids have been sitting on the shelf since. I do love Gerbings gear though as I have both there armored heated pant and jacket and insoles.

I tried the Tourmaster before getting Gerbings and they didn't hold up for more then a couple weeks. Returned them and bought the Gerbings and I haven't looked back.

Just curious as to what exactly happened to the Tourmaster. Haven't had any problem with mine. I've been using it almost everyday until the snow storm hit.

I highly recommend this one. Tour Master - Synergy Electric Jacket Liner Tour Master Competition Accessories
I also have the gloves. They are amazing. You can contact Aaron at (803)327-1717 and tell him Jesse sent you. I think it's still on sale. I've been out there when the temperature was in the teens and had no problem whatsoever. I think the highest setting is like 160+*F and the lowest is around 120+*F. I only wear a long sleeves cycling shirt inside and I even took the jacket liner off of my leather jacket because I don't need it. I'm sure you know what time I ride most of the time. The longest ride I've done when the temperature was in the 20's was 4 hours. That's only because I have to be home at a certain time. If I don't, I'd be out there all day.

Forgot to include this one. Tour Master - Synergy Electric Leather Glove Tour Master Competition Accessories
When you buy the gloves, you don't need the temperature controller for it. Just plug in the gloves to the cord that comes out of the sleeves and you're set. It comes with it but you just use the one from the jacket to control the temperature of both jacket and gloves. So far, I don't need the pants or the insole. I'm fine with just the toe warmers.

+2 on the Tour Master. When I commuted all year, the Tour Master jacket liner and glovers were a life saver. My wife did not commute but enjoyed the heat.

Back