Heat pump trouble

mr8ball

Registered
We bought a house back in June and moved in a couple of weeks later. It was built in 1996 and we feel the heat pump is on borrowed time. A couple of months ago we had to have someone come and look at it because the line froze up and it would not cool. Well that was fixed with a couple of switches that were bad.

As the weather cooled off we cut it off for about a month. This past week it has really started to get cool and the past couple of nights it has been in the mid 30's. Now with the heat on I have been woke up the last 2 nights around 3 or so with the heat pump humming like it is straining to run. It will run for the next 3 hrs or so and it gets pretty hot in the house that I will bump the thermostat back to cut the heat off.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? We have insurance but I have to pay a 60 dollar copay to have it looked at.
Just looking for ideas. Thanks in advance

It might just be running in defrost mode. It's time cycled, or it use to be. Someone will be along. Your power bill will tell you if you're running on heat strips :poke:

Sound's like you have more than just one problem there, as for the heat, is forced hot air or water?

Also when you need to turn it down, it could just be the relay box sticking, causing it to stay on!

Sounds to me like it is too cold outside for it to really be working and you are just using electric heating elements. A 1996 unit is likely pretty weak at 30 degree ambient.

Not sure what you mean by it is getting too hot and you have to turn teh thermostat back...that is the point of a thermostat. St it where you want it and it will shut off automatically...

Sound's like you have more than just one problem there, as for the heat, is forced hot air or water?

Also when you need to turn it down, it could just be the relay box sticking, causing it to stay on!
I am guessing forced air is what it is and I have turn it down because I can smell it as if it is on emergency heat if that makes sense. It does seem something might be sticking.

Sounds to me like it is too cold outside for it to really be working and you are just using electric heating elements. A 1996 unit is likely pretty weak at 30 degree ambient.

Not sure what you mean by it is getting too hot and you have to turn teh thermostat back...that is the point of a thermostat. St it where you want it and it will shut off automatically...

I turn it back because it sounds like it is getting ready to blow up. ALso I can smell it as if it is on Emg. heat. I got home around 6 today and it is now 11 and I have not herd it come on at all. Its only suppose to be in the low 40's tonight. I have the thermostat on 68 so I guess I will find out in a little bit if its still working :laugh: Thanks for the help

If you are smelling the elements, it is definitely on electric supplemental heating.
Older units were not very effective in cold weather. Newer stuff is better.

Thanks, Last night it worked as normal but it was only in the mid 40's. I guess it is time to upgrade. We have a gas fire place just in case. Thanks for all the info.

Assuming your interior infrastructure is still good to go, it isn't all that expensive to replace the heat pump with a new unit.

Take a look at the effectiveness ratings and the amount of heating capacity as compared to outside air temperature.

Thanks, I don't know much about it. I have an outside unit with another unit (Air Handler) in the attic. I was told it was better to replace both but am not sure. I will do some checking to see what it the best way to go. Our house is about 1200 SF all on one level. Some of the winters can get pretty cold here (Teens & Low 20's) and the summers can get pretty hot (high 80's to close to 100). I really dont like this thing running like it did a couple of nights ago. It did seeme to be straining. Any suggestions from anyone will be greatful. Thanks again

Straining as in making abnormal noises or just running for longer periods? From what you described, aside from the "straining", it sounds to me like the unit is working properly.

When outside temps dip into the 30s your unit is gonna run longer, defrost cycle more often, and when temps get down around 32 it will rely on the emergency heat strips. Virginia has something like 5 months of the year when the average low is 35 and below. I'm kind of surprised that they'd install heat pumps that far north considering that in heat mode they are most efficient when outside temps are in the mid 40s.

Straining as in making abnormal noises or just running for longer periods? From what you described, aside from the "straining", it sounds to me like the unit is working properly.

When outside temps dip into the 30s your unit is gonna run longer, defrost cycle more often, and when temps get down around 32 it will rely on the emergency heat strips. Virginia has something like 5 months of the year when the average low is 35 and below. I'm kind of surprised that they'd install heat pumps that far north considering that in heat mode they are most efficient when outside temps are in the mid 40s.

Yes, I agree about being pretty far north for a heat pump. If it were my house I would be looking into replacing the whole system with a natural gas furnace and new air conditioning as well. '96 is pretty old for a hvac system, the efficiency you can get from a new system will save a lot of money over the years. Good luck.

The straining I speak of reminds me of being on a small plane after it levels out. My unit develops a very loud hum and the longer it runs the louder it gets. It gets so loud we cant sleep. This only happens when it is in the low 30's or below. Even though we have Ins they will only do a patch job until it completely gives out. 99% of the homes here have a heat pump's with gas fire places as a back up for heat. I am going to check into different systems and see what it the best way for me to go. This one seems to be working fine until the temps get low 30's or so but it is still very loud and right at my bedroom window. The people that built the house appear to be a bunch of idiots with all the things that were done. But its ours now and we have to make the best of it. Thanks again for all the info.

Back