Heat problem and fuel pump?

mtang1717

Registered
Okay, I know this has been discussed several times already.  I just bought a 99 busa and took it in for services.  The mechanics (although is not a busa mechanic) is telling me that the bike is dying out when the thermostat hits half way and thinks it is related to the fuel pump which "might" not have been replaced.  Although, I am not an expert nor a mechanic but I don't just want to start replace parts and spending money, can anyone tell me if the installing is due of the fuel pump or simply something else it?

BTW, I told them to just change the stock fan to the muzzy fan for now.

I think there are some issues with the 99 models,not sure if the fuel pump is one , but there were some recalls.Maybe a search on this site will help more, wish I could be of more help to you bro, how about posting up some pics of your bike?
smile.gif

Over here, a lot of guys have trouble with the fuel filter on the 99 busa - leads to stalling a lot. Might want to have that checked/cleaned/replaced - there were also some issues with the fuel lines on '99s getting kinked (I think that's at least part of the reason that the fuel pump was moved inside the tank on later models...

another thing - a couple of guys have found that wrapping the AITS sensor with tin-foil helps - no seriously it acts as insulation and because it seems to sit too close to the motor (its under the airbox on the left side - here's a picture ) at high temps, it feeds incorrect Airbox-temperature info to the computer, resulting in a bad mix to the injectors...

But does the fuel pump has anything to do with the heat buildup.

The installing issue is occuring when it is sitting at the shop and when the fairing is off.

I could see the fuel pump possibly vapor locking when extremely hot but I would do as expat advised and check your fuel filter first. If it is clogged, do not let them sell you a $100 suzuki one. Instead gut the origional and replace it with an in line filter for $5.

Based on your explanation, it seems like the filter is in the fuel pump itself. Is it that hard to take apart the fuel pump to access the filters.

Anyway, can a 01' fuel pump be installed on a 99'?

Based on your explanation, it seems like the filter is in the fuel pump itself. Is it that hard to take apart the fuel pump to access the filters.

Anyway, can a 01' fuel pump be installed on a 99'?
For 99/00 model, the fuel filter is located inside the tank. It is a white plastic thing like a column/stick with fine plastic filter.
The pump is located outside the tank while the later model has the pump inside the tank.
I've just had some stalling problem and was advised to check my fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel hose.
The hose is perfectly placed with wind-round wire and no kinking. The pump runs well, with the grrrrrr sound when the key is switch to ON.
So only the fuel filter left, it looks ok when I opened it with a little rust stuck there and here. The rust varies in size fine at the bottom and some coarse one.
But my tank was full at the time, what if the fuel level is low like when my stalling problem occurred. I drained the fuel and shake the tank with little fuel inside. Problem found! Lots and lots of rust, dark brown in color. The rust tends to saturate when the fuel level is low. So it clogged the column filter and that is why my bike stalls as if no fuel. Luckily the rust did not get pass the filter as the pump looks clean.
I will be riding tomorrow and report back if the problem solved.

Back to your q, no it wasn't hard to take out the filter but the tank have too be drained and taken off the bike.

01 fuel pump on 99? I'm not sure but I dont think so as they look totally different in design and in application but I'm not an expert
smile.gif

Thank you for the explanation. Strangely, the problem occurred when the tank was removed to get a paint job and the shop used an external reservoir. After the bike was put together, the problem never came up again.
cool.gif

Thank you for the explanation. Strangely, the problem occurred when the tank was removed to get a paint job and the shop used an external reservoir. After the bike was put together, the problem never came up again.
cool.gif
Maybe when the tank was cleaned as well and since all the dirt and rust gone...bingo...problem solved.
Tonight I rode until the fuel indicator touched the red mark but still no warning light...everything seem normal. I will keep testing if any jerking or stalling will happen again before I fill up at warning light. Maybe my problem solved....
smile.gif

cool.gif
Maybe when the tank was cleaned as well and since all the dirt and rust gone...bingo...problem solved.
Tonight I rode until the fuel indicator touched the red mark but still no warning light...everything seem normal. I will keep testing if any jerking or stalling will happen again before I fill up at warning light. Maybe my problem solved....
smile.gif
After almost a year..no recurring of problem....

Back