heat issues after a resolved radiator issues caused by gasket issues?

NosferatuzIsGod

Registered
hi, I had my 2007 busa the other day overheating caused by a dead fan. After the fan was fixed, it turned out that the radiator coolant was boiling hard even when the fan was on. so I took the bike to a workshop and the mechanics there told me that it could be a radiator circulation issues. left it to them for 3 days, and went there to retrieve the bike and hear more bad news. they said the real issue is not the radiator, they said my cylinder gasket is f'd up and i need to replace them.

do cylinder gaskets actually have such an impact in engine temperature?

Yup... I'm going through the similar type of issue as we speak. Blown gasket equals a "break", if you will, in the cooling system itself thats keeping your engine cool. Couple symptoms will be obvious:
1) Your oil will look milky in color (coolant mixed with oil equates to a milk shake looking sight glass)
2) Your cooling system will not hold the required vaccum / pressurization. Bubbles emitting down in the bottom of overflow tank when running hot. Over flow tank itself remains full after cooldown.
One or both symptoms may exist; each case I've researched is unique. Some resulted in a fix as simple as a radiator cap; hose problem; water pump all the way down to a head gasket replcment.
Oh...and don't rule out the possiblity of a cracked cylinder head itself. Something i'm dreading to discover. Also, something your service shop won't know till they teardown the engine to get to the head gasket. And thats if they are looking for it. I don't trust our local yoke'll service shops is why I'm doing the work myself.
Good luck to ya!!

yup, I cant agree more. It turned out to be a blown gasket, a blown water pump and *almost* blown radiator. somehow, the coolant isnt circulating.

Having same issues.. overheated all of a sudden the other nite.. got it home and checked.. overflow tank was plugged at the bottom. took it off and unplugged it. added water wetter and filled rad and overflow to full line. let it sit overnight.. ran it next day all day here and there and didnt overheat..stayed normal.. checked next day and had to add 6 oz of mix to rad. ran it and left cap off.. rookie move. spit water everywhere.. let it cool and re added more mix. now its like stated here.. bubbles into lower part of overflow tank. fan kicks on but doesnt stay on long enough i feel. oil doesnt look milky but think i will drain it to see.. there was coolant rez on the frame slider and left under cowling.. temp wise its been at mid range. a little past that and the fan comes on briefly. sucks to have happen during summer riding times.

Back