Heard some great safety advice from a cruiser rider....

kml

Donating Member
Registered
... at the local coffee shop yesterday.

When you know you are going to crash, let go of the handlebars, grab the bottom of the tank, press your knees into the motor, lock the rear brake and lay your bike down. Don't worry the engine won't burn your legs and the crash bars will keep your legs off the ground.

Because going over the handle bars is not an option.

He knows what he talks about, he rode dirt bikes as a kid, has a new 2016 CVO Harley, has only dropped it once and has 2400 MILES on his bike. ( That's a lot!!! )

we all need to be safe out there.

I hope this advice helps you as much as it has helped me

cheers
ken

Last edited:
Better advice in the event of a crash is to wear a Superman cape that way you can fly better...

I like the grab the gas tank bit.....that was pretty funny...

I had a conversation years ago with a guy riding an HD and he thought he had 110 hp, because it said 110 on his air breather cover. It took me quite a while to explain that is his displacement, not his hp....I told him he had 73 hp stock.

We went back and forth until another HD rider (a friend of mine) walked over with the dyno sheet he had on his bike before he spent $6k on upgrades which netted him 15hp (and a whole lot more noise...).

I had a conversation years ago with a guy riding an HD and he thought he had 110 hp, because it said 110 on his air breather cover. It took me quite a while to explain that is his displacement, not his hp....I told him he had 73 hp stock.

We went back and forth until another HD rider (a friend of mine) walked over with the dyno sheet he had on his bike before he spent $6k on upgrades which netted him 15hp (and a whole lot more noise...).
By that logic a new Mustang GT has 50 hp....

Back