Heads up, clutches can loosen @20,000 miles

StromBusa

Registered
NBD thanks to my org friends, I heard the ticking start under the right cover, remembered the discussion under "report your issues thread", and the easy fix with pics :bowdown:. Not one drop of oil lost, locktite is on & all torques back to spec. Thanks to the org :cheerleader: 20,004 miles & counting on my 08. I thought I got away on this deal, but it popped up eventually, I recognized it, & corrected in an hour. :beerchug: No panic attack required. :laugh:

Do you mean clutch cover? good looking out @ 20K the bike has seen some vibration. I'm sure a couple things can use a tightening up.

No I mean the clutch spring bolts. Known recall issue for o8's & early 09's, need to clean, locktite, & torque the bolts. Remove the cover, pull one bolt @ a time, clean with brake clean, blow off compressed air, red loctite hi strength, it is actually the studs under the spring retainer bolts. Details are under "report your issues, never got pinned I guess.

I have 29,000 miles on mine and haven't had this issue. I have to replace my clutch discs soon so I guess I got lucky.

is high strength locktight a bit strong for tiny torque clutch bolts ?

id be thinking snapped bolts when the time comes to replace the clutch?

Guess I should read that forum closer; I'm closing in on 70,000 miles on my K8, and have never had/seen/heard of this clutch issue before...

Guess I should read that forum closer; I'm closing in on 70,000 miles on my K8, and have never had/seen/heard of this clutch issue before...

It's not an actual recall per say. It's a service bulletin Suzuki released. There isn't a specific VIN range it affects. When I pulled the clutch cover on my bike with less than 10k miles on it, 2 of the bolts were only a few threads from backing out

hmm...finally i must re-open this cover! :banghead: ...
Thanks anyway for the information!:beerchug: ...
(I wrote this with no luck in one older thread)
one important information is still missing:
the factory install these studs without thread lock or with a non appropriate thread lock ? ( 1303)
have you guys found any traces of thread lock in disassembling while performing tsb?
(i can't decide: red or blue loctite.. i know that the 1303 equivalent is red loctite but i dont like the permanent result!??? ...
If the factory missed completelly the thread lock i will go with the blue-
If not the red is one-way road..)
My clutch is really noisy but after inspection all seems ok..:please: ...
And one last: the extra cover of clutch cover act like heat shield or something?

Mine started making that noise at 4000 miles.. I loctite'ed them and havent had a problem since.. 17500 miles and climbing..

I saw no evidence of original locktite. I used red due to the service bulletin specification. I'd say the bolts are of sufficient size to break the locktite loose in the future. I'm hoping to leave the lid on for a while. Not sure about the outer (round) cover, I'll look in my service manual.

is high strength locktight a bit strong for tiny torque clutch bolts ?

id be thinking snapped bolts when the time comes to replace the clutch?

I dont think I would have used Red Locktite on those small bolts. Blue or medium strength would have been sufficient.

I dont think I would have used Red Locktite on those small bolts. Blue or medium strength would have been sufficient.

I wouldn't have either - will probably use medium strength, even though the bulletin calls for high strength. Even with blue loctite, I'd be surprised if they vibrated out.

I'll be pulling mine apart over the next few days as I have some noise as idle.

70K? Seriously? Man, I am glad to hear that. I am 53, plan to be riding until my heart stops beating, and never want to ride any other bike than this one. Thanks for giving me hope!

70K? Seriously? Man, I am glad to hear that. I am 53, plan to be riding until my heart stops beating, and never want to ride any other bike than this one. Thanks for giving me hope!

I'm at 43k myself, and no probs at all. My goal is 200-250k from this bike. With proper routine maintenance there is no reason it will not make it. By next month should be at 47-48k - after the upcoming rallies :thumbsup:

Will be checking this over the next few days when I do the oil. Grabbed the gasket just in case I need it, and some medium strength thread lock. I think the high strength is excessive for the application - and with the size of those bolts could risk damage if the tranny needs to be r&r'd in the future.

we have done a few in the busa hospital at a couple of meets. One we did in Eureka Springs only had two thousand miles I think. I used the red locktite on them. It is very important, like the others have said, to clean the bolts good or loctite of any strength will not work. If you have a gen 2, I would recommend that you pull the cover and do this so you don't have a problem while on a trip or just out riding. Just takes a few min and could save you a breakdown on the road.

Back