Headlights stopped working

xx2busa

Registered
I geared up to ride my normal commute with my busa when I noticed the high and low beams were not functioning. The low beam bulb looks ok from looking into the head light.... I find it hard to beleive that they burned out together. I have also checked the fuses and they were fine...all the other bulbs and lights on the bike are functioning and the bike runs good. My next thought is it could be the handle bar high/low switch. Any one else experience this? or have any more ideas?

a voltmeter would be nice... need to start at the fuse box first make sure it is live, work your way out..

OK, I think my father and I may have found the problem. It looks like there is a relay next to the fuse box under the left handle bar. Does anybody know for a fact if that relay controls the headlights as well?

both bulbs could have burned out at the same time and you won't necessarily be able to see it by looking in through the glass. They are easy to remove. I'd check it out before you tear your bike apart. My .02

its an 05....At this point the bike is torn apart looking for the problem. The side panels and the nose are off. Both bulbs are good, the fuses are good the high/low switch is good as well as the flash to pass switch. Where is the switch that kills the lights during starter push?

I do not think that "light kill" came in until 06? could be wrong but was sure I read that somewhere.. how close have you looked at the connectors to the lights themselves? if they both quit at the same time, that would seem to mean either the "main" power feed OR a bad ground... are you getting any voltage at all at the lights?

where does the voltage quit? trace backwards through the light system...

I do not think that "light kill" came in until 06?  could be wrong but was sure I read that somewhere..  how close have you looked at the connectors to the lights themselves?   if they both quit at the same time, that would seem to mean either the "main" power feed OR a bad ground...  are you getting any voltage at all at the lights?  

where does the voltage quit?  trace backwards through the light system...
The 05s have it. I don't remember if 05 or 04 was the first year.

Forgot to update this. The exact problem was never really found but my dad ran a bypass wire in the handle bar switch area. So the lights operate fine after that but the drawback is when I hit the starter button they do not momentarily turn off anymore. Maybe this helps someone else:thumbsup:

Back